Button Configuration problems with Inventor

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

bjermy

Button Configuration problems with Inventor

Post by bjermy »

I am having problems keeping my Button Configuration choices permently assigned.

With Inventor running and before opening any Inventor files the Button Configurations are as per what I have selected. As soon as I open any Inventor file the buttons automatically change BACK to the default "Zoom All" and "Inventor Panel Fn". Predictably when the Inventor file is closed the buttons again change back to what I had originally selected.
gnbisanz

Post by gnbisanz »

I've noticed this behavior as well. I've assigned a macro to my R button, but this is not saved to the button between Inventor sessions. The macro itself is still saved, just not the mapping.
ngomes

Re: Button Configuration problems with Inventor

Post by ngomes »

Hi bjermy,
bjermy wrote:As soon as I open any Inventor file the buttons automatically change BACK to the default "Zoom All" and "Inventor Panel Fn".
What you are observing is, in fact, a feature. The behaviour is by design.
The Button Configuration feature is environment-dependant. In other words, when you change environments in Inventor, a new Button Configuration is loaded. You can customise all the configuration. Simply load the environment, open the "Button Configuration" panel and program the device buttons with the commands of your choice.
If, on the other hand, you are seeing a different behaviour, then let us know and we will take from there.
bjermy

Post by bjermy »

If by "environment-dependant" you mean that I could assign different buttons during part, assembly and drawing mode that would be fancy if I could get it to work, however....

I still cannot get ANY Button changes to stick. When I change the button controls with a model open the buttons work fine until I close that model. When I then open another model the settings go back to "Zoom All" and "Inventor Panel Fn".

It must be able to remember something because with all models closed and Inventor still running it brings back the desired settings.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi bjermy,
Are you using the Button Configuration panel in the application? It is available from the "3DxInventor" toolbar. The environment context detection is a feature implemented in an Inventor add-in, not on the device driver.
bjermy

Post by bjermy »

Cracked it. Must be my very simple brain working in a Monday fashion. "Inventor Panel Fn" IS the Button Configuration manger for each environment. With an open document run the "Inventor Panel Fn" and drag the required command onto the desired button. Open a part, assembly, sketch, drawing or similar and assign buttons for these "environments".
gnbisanz

Post by gnbisanz »

Hey, that works pretty well, and I'm also feeling a bit foolish. I guess it must be hard to program things for people that don't read dialog boxes.