Settings dialog keeps popping up - AIX clients

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

neil_atkins

Settings dialog keeps popping up - AIX clients

Post by neil_atkins »

Hi,
My issue is a bit like the one in this post viewtopic.php?t=886 but the answer doesn't seem to be relevant to my situation.

We use the driver on AIX 5.1 clients for Catia. All works well for standard usage, but the users are able to boot their machines into other configurations. To do this, they log in from the standard CDE login window and get prompted before the CDE desktop loads. If they do not reply to the prompt quickly enough, the 3Dware settings dialog comes up and takes focus. The dialog will not go into the background (probably because CDE is not loaded) and the user cannot see what they are being prompted for!

It there a way to stop the setting dialog being shown with a switch on the command used in inittab?

Thanks for your help.
Neil
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Neil,

its nice to see, that our driver also works on AIX 5.1, although its classified as not supported and not at all tested on this OS. :D

Regarding your problem:
We have an undocumented commandline option, which can delay the start of the driver up to 6 minutes.

The option and its usage is:
"-delay <n>", where <n> is a value between 0 and 360 and sets the delay in steps of 1 seconds.

Example:
"-delay 30" delays the start for 30 seconds

I hope this is a feasible workaround for your problem, please let me know if it works!

Regards,

Christian Robl
3Dconnexion
neil_atkins

Post by neil_atkins »

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I gave you the wrong information, the machines are running AIX 5.3 rather than 5.1.

I added the -delay to the /etc/inittab entry and the driver didn't respawn. I tried running it manually without redirecting the out and got no response from it.

This is the original line
3dx:234:respawn:/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb </dev>/dev/null 2>&1

and this is what I changed it to
3dx:234:respawn:/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb -delay 60 </dev>/dev/null 2>&1

Is the parameter supported by this version which I think is v2.6.

Many Thanks,
Neil
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Neil,

thats strange. If you have V1.2.6 this option should be already in there. What do you mean with "no response" when you tried it manually?

If you've started it as you wrote:

Code: Select all

/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb -delay 60
Then it would take 60 seconds until something will happen at all. So having nothing for quite a while would be ok then.
Have you tried it with a lower value, lets say 10 seconds?

Can you please start it (also manually) with some debug options:

Code: Select all

/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb -delay 60 -debug -E
The driver will then generate a log file /tmp/3DxWare.log and also
print out some information on the command line it started from.

Please send me those debug informations via private message.

Can you also please give me the version of the 3dxsrv you're running "3dxsrv -v".

Regards,

Christian
3Dconnexion
neil_atkins

Post by neil_atkins »

Hi Christian,

The version I am running is 1.0.0 Build 6 according to the -v flag. I take it that I should upgrade to the latest version as using the -debug -E switches does not produce any output.

Can you point me in the direction of the latest version for AIX 5.3 and I will load that on?

Many Thanks,
Neil
neil_atkins

Post by neil_atkins »

Christian,

I downloaded the latest version from your website and the delay now works. It looks as if this get over my issue.

Thanks very much for your help :D

Neil
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Neil,

excellent! :D

Sorry for not being faster (regarding your download question).

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions or comments concerning 3DxWare UNIX!

Have fun!

Regards,

Christian
3Dconnexion