Compiz / Compiz Fusion and Space Navigator?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

twisted

Compiz / Compiz Fusion and Space Navigator?

Post by twisted »

Hi all, has anybody had success in using the SpaceNavigator with compositing window managers for the X window system on Linux?

I am thinking of Compiz and Compiz-Fusion in particular. I can see a fantastic way to navigate through your Linux desktop :)

Note: If you haven't seen what you can do with compositing managers, have a look at this:

-> Compiz Fusion Demo

-> Compiz Fusion Effects Presentation

-> Xgl/Compiz on dual-monitor setup

-> David Reveman's/Novell's Compiz Presentation
Absum

Post by Absum »

When i got my SpaceNavigator the thought crossed my mind but then i couldn't figure out any useful way to use the navigator in a desktop environment even when you have the cube and such.

What would you want to do with the spacenavigator in compiz? Rotate the cube? move windows? If you can actually come up with some good ideas it could be worth it, i know i would love to be able to use my spacenavigator with compiz.
KenJennings

Post by KenJennings »

Simply being able to manipulate the compiz-fusion cube would be good enough for me. I'm always forgetting which key makes the mouse do what 3D action. It would be nice to just do all the 3D tricks with the other hand and leave the mouse for simple selection.
Thanks,
Ken.
viatech

Post by viatech »

The idea crossed my mind when I purchased mine. I'm sure it can't be that hard to get going, any thoughts on where we can start?
Absum

Post by Absum »

Well you should start with making a plugin for compiz that handles joystick input (this could then be used for other stuff also. And i would prefere this method before using the official driver) and then make a plugin that can cause different events based on the input from the earlier plugin. With this setup you can support alot of more devices than just the spacenavigator (such as basically all kinds of joysticks) and this would probably speed up development since more users would have "use" for it.

If you guys get a project going i would defenitly want to help out :)
normaldotcom

Same thought

Post by normaldotcom »

I was thinking the same thing... although I don't know how useful it would really be, and if interaction with compiz would interfere with the device's access to other programs if they were both running simultaneously.