Strange buzzing on spacemouse plus

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

kropewnicki

Strange buzzing on spacemouse plus

Post by kropewnicki »

Not sure exactly where to post this so I put it in windows/linux.

I have a robotics application that takes the spacemouse data and converts it to robotic motion.

On my latest controllers I have noticed a new weird behavior on the spacemouse.

When I move the mouse to the limits it will BUZZZ and then stop sending translation/rotation data. If I send a *1 *2 that seems to fix the issue.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior?

-john
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi John,

this sounds as if its a hardware problem. If your device is still under warranty (3 years for the SpaceMouse) you should contact 3Dconnexion's Technical Support.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
kropewnicki

Post by kropewnicki »

I have tried 3 different spacemouse plus and can repeat this issue on com2 but not on com1.

I tried a spacemouse classic and I could not repeat the behavior. I think that my motherboard is somehow sending something to cause the spacemouse to buzz.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi kropewnicki,

Most likely than not, your system is supplying bearably enough power for that particular device type (SpaceMouse Plus) to work. If not enough power is supplied, the device will reset and data will stop being sent. After it comes back to life, you need to press on *-1 and *-2 to enable the sending of translation and rotation data, respectively.

Can you reproduce the problem on a different system?
Nuno Gomes
kropewnicki

Post by kropewnicki »

This is a new generation of motherboard on my robot controller and i do not have another one in stock.

Does the spacemouse classic take less power than the spacemouse plus?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

kropewnicki wrote:This is a new generation of motherboard on my robot controller and i do not have another one in stock.
You can use your serial device on a Windows system. The software is available from the download page.
kropewnicki wrote:Does the spacemouse classic take less power than the spacemouse plus?
If you have a Plus XT (with LEDs) then, definitely yes. If you have a standard Plus, then the most likely reason is just a difference in batches.
kropewnicki

Post by kropewnicki »

I do not see any issues when i communication via hyperterminal on winxp.

I send this sequence of messages
bM
pBA
n?
q??
c30
z
vQ

If I need to externally power my spacemouse do you know which pins need power?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

kropewnicki wrote:If I need to externally power my spacemouse do you know which pins need power?
You should check the manual of your device. If I remember correctly, a 3Dconnexion serial device relies on the DTR and RTS signal lines for power supply.

Also note using an external power source not supplied by 3Dconnexion will very likely void your warranty.
kropewnicki

Post by kropewnicki »

i am going to look into replacing my motherboard since I do not see the behavior on com-1.

thanks,

John