Inteference with Simulator Applications?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rbrown3rd

Inteference with Simulator Applications?

Post by rbrown3rd »

I recently received and installed the SpaceNavigator for my WindowsXP SP2 system. I do a lot of work developing flight simulator scenery and use Google Earth for a reference. The SpaceNavigator is a great enhancement to my use of the GE application.

I also use two radio controlled model simulators to practice my other hobby RC gliders. The applications are FMS, Flying Model Simulator, and CRRCsim. They both use a joystick emulator hardware device to interface my radio transmitters to the simulators.

I recently opened the simulator applications for some practice and found they were unusable as the control responses are no longer coherent and are unpredictable. The best word I can use to describe their new behavior is "twitchy" to an extreme.

The only change on my system that could possibly have affected these simulator applications was the installation of SpaceNavigator. I tried uninstalling the SpaceNavigator software but that was unsuccessful in resolving my problem. I tried recalibrating my controls in each of the simulators but that was not successful either.

I really like the SpaceNavigator but I may have a problem with this interference with the two other applications that are important to me.

Posts to the CRRCsim reveal that that application makes no registry changes when installed. That means that anything affecting the control behavior would have to be external to that application. It is beginning to appear as if the installation of SpaceNavigator had some sort of detrimental effect on the Joystick interface device for my simulators. Any suggestions?
rbrown3rd

Post by rbrown3rd »

This is a follow up to my original post. With SpaceNavigator uninstalled I went into my control panel and found that the calibration for the Joystick interface for my transmitters was way off. I recalibrated and the problem seems to be resolved. Now I need to reinstall the SpaceNavigator to see if it affects the calibration of the RC interface device. Perhaps I can install the SpaceNavigator and if it affects the RC interface a recalibration of the RC device might correct it. I will give that a try.
Ken Denton

Post by Ken Denton »

:D Excellent! I'm glad you got things working again!
Ken Denton
3Dconnexion, Inc. A Logitech Company
rbrown3rd

Post by rbrown3rd »

Thanks Ken I am too. So far everything has remained stable. I just wanted to post my solution in case someone else has the problem. I still don't know what caused the calibration to go off. It may not have been related to the SpaceNavigator install at all.
dbrahmbhatt

Re: Inteference with Simulator Applications?

Post by dbrahmbhatt »

Can we use SDK to write custom Simulator application for Space Navigator?
This is so automated testing can be possible with Space Navigator inputs.