Maya 7 Update Issues

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

swakdaddy

Maya 7 Update Issues

Post by swakdaddy »

I just got the SN SE today and was very excited to get to work...sadly, it looks like that isn't going to happen. I installed the scripts correctly and the SN works in Maya 7...sort of. (yes I rebooted)

I've fiddled with all the settings and can't seem to get the scene/object to update in real time. If I move it left, for example, the object being manipulated will not update on the screen until I let go of the SN. I had to set the sensitivty to the lowest setting just to figure this out since if I even bumped my desk the scene would rocket propell itself 1000 miles from the camera.

This "move then update the screen" issue is very annoying and pretty much makes it unusable for me. Am I doing something wrong? :?
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

We've seen some performance issues with versions of Maya older than 8.5 running on Mactel machines. 8.5 runs smoothly on the Intels.

What's your system configuration so we can try it out? Also, is this with v1.0.2 of our driver?
swakdaddy

Post by swakdaddy »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here are some specs:
- Two 2.66 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
- Mac OS Version 10.4.9
- Maya Version 7.0
- 3DConnexion Driver Version: 1.0.2 (3dxwaremacSE-v1_0_2.dmg)

Thanks!
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

For Intel based Macs, version 8.5 of Maya is needed. v8.5 solves the performance issues you're seeing.
swakdaddy

Post by swakdaddy »

Thanks for looking into this. I guess I'll just return the product since our budget can't handle a Maya upgrade at this time.
simontschachtli

Post by simontschachtli »

Hello,

I am having similar issues like
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Hi Simon,

Running Maya 7.0 on dual G5s should be fine. One of our test machines has a very similar setup and I just reconfirmed that performance on it is good.

If you have your Script Editor window open, please close it and then try it again. Having the Script Editor window does tax the system and slows down motion quite a bit.

I took a look at the CPU level when Maya is idle and it fluctuates between 0.1 to 0.2% utilization. If you unplug the device, does the CPU level go down? If it does, try clicking on the "Calibrate" button on the 3Dconnexion Preferences Panel.

For Intel based Macs, we require Maya 8.5 to avoid degraded performance due to running Maya through Rosetta emulation
jackcloud

Re: Maya 7 Update Issues

Post by jackcloud »

I just bought one today too. I found that it starts fine, except I have to enter "MagellanStartup;" in the mel line to get the shelf icon "which wont load to open the pref window. What I noticed is the performance drasticly tanks as you use it. I opened the script editor and watched all the data callback info everytime I touch the SN SE controller. It seems to bog down quickly. So I selected all the data strings and cleared history in the script editor and voila. The controller became responsive and sexy again. Bad news is it builds up so fast I had to do it every couple of minutes.
What to do about this????? I don't know. Maybe some clever bit of mel to clear history after such and such data piles up?? Help?
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Yeah, we also see the same performance drop when you keep the script console open. We're looking at possible solutions to this. For now, try to keep the console closed if it's not being used.