It works, It doesn't work, It works.........

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Sailinshuz

At first you should check if Windows recognizes the device. To do that please activate the "Device Manager" in Windows and open the "Human Interface Devices" folder. There check the devices shown by right-clicking on the shown devices in the list and then on "Details". For the SpaceNavigator you will find something like that:
USB\VID_046D&PID_C626\5&12FE92EE&0&2
The interesting part is the part following the "VID_": that is the "Vendor ID" which is (I mean 046D) the Vendor ID from Logitech. The second interesting element is recorded as "PID_": that is the "Product ID", and "C626" is the "Product ID" for the SapceNavigator. If there is no such record under the folder "Human Interface Devices", then Windows didn't recognize the device.

Please check if the system recognizes your device and let me know what happens afterwards.
agoenczi
Sailinshuz

Post by Sailinshuz »

XP does not see the device.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Sailinshuz

In this case please contact the Technical Support. The relevant information is available here.
agoenczi
sorin

Post by sorin »

i've seen it happen once in a while after my last post on this thread.

it completely dissapears from windows, it's not detected anymore. if you keep it unplugged for a while it will be recognised again (maybe some capacitors get discharged, who knows what's in there...). i'm sure it's a hardware problem 3dconnexion won't admit it has or doesn't know how to solve.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi sorin,
i'm sure it's a hardware problem 3dconnexion won't admit it has or doesn't know how to solve.
If you believe your hardware is faulty, you will have to contact Technical Support. It is not possible to issue return authorisations from a Forum report.
Nuno Gomes
Sailinshuz

Post by Sailinshuz »

3DConnexion replaced my faulty device. All is good. 3DConnexion and the Navigator rocks!

If you have a USB hard drive or other USB devices attached to your machine, turn off the power until your Navigator loads, then power on those devices. USB is great, but Flakey.

Some problems are hard to resolve. Patience is the key.
timmieee

Post by timmieee »

Hi there,

Same problem here. Have the navigator installed for about 2 weeks now and it works 1 out of every 10 times I boot up the pc.
I have tried uninstalling the firewall, no effect. I stopped the software from running automatically and tried loading it manually once the computer was up and running, no effect either. The only thing that seems to work is plugging the thing into my laptop (where it works most of the time) and then hooking it up to my other comp again, in which case it works 1 out of every 2 times (roughly).

Personally I would say that it is a software issue, as it is the driver that simply will not launch whenever the device is not working. I would suppose that if the device itself is not working, ie. we have a hardware issue, the software should still run (or is that assumption incorrect?). So if someone can guarantee me that it is a hardware issue, I'll contact my supplier.

Thanks for the response.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi timmieee

I would say that this issue is a known one. Could you try on another PC? If you will have the same result, please contact 3Dconnexion Technical Support. You will find the relevant contact information for your region here.
agoenczi
moleman

Post by moleman »

I was having the same problem too. I found out that the Space Navigator is very picky about which port it is plugged into. The SN only works reliably when it is booted (or whatever is done to a usb device on startup) before other usb devices. So to keep it working properly you need to find out which usb port windows initializes first. I'm not sure whether it has to be first on a specific hub, or the first one initialized/booted/processed/whatever for the whole computer. Anyway once you find the correct port it seems to work like a charm. Hope this helps.

[edit] this does not seem to be the solution. The problem returned again. See my post further down.
Last edited by moleman on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
squiddie

Post by squiddie »

same problem two times here. were running 3dconnexion devices on 14 machines.

5x space mouse plus usb -> no problems in about 4 years
4x space explorer -> 1 with the problem described here
5x space pilot pe -> 1 with this problem

tried a lot of things including a pci usb board and all the solutions described here with the explorer. well, it works most of the time but the problem still shows up sometimes.

since today i have the problem with my personal space pilot at home and will now try to solve the problem. it worked well for a week but this morning -> nothing. tried to reinstall the driver, cleaned the registry, replugged on different ports already. didn't help.

you're not alone :roll:

[edit] i tried different space explorers on the machine with the problem. it happens to every explorer and just on that machine. they work perfect on other machines. anyway: it's a 3dconnexion problem, software or hardware, as it must not be that those devices just work on 80% of all pcs...

[edit2] for my home machine with space navigator: the path in the link didn't change automatically. there is no error as i have no log file (in the new %appdata% path). tried to run 3dxsrx.exe from the console -> no error or any other message.

[edit3] (home machine with space navigator). replugging didn't work as long as the normal mouse was still plugged in. also doesn't work when doing a port change and unplugging both and plugging in the normal mouse first. BUT:

solution (hope it lasts :roll: ) : i changed the usb ports of the normal mouse and the space navigator. it worked this way:
- unplug both
- replug the navigator in the other port
- then replug the normal mouse anywhere
didn't even have to restart the machine... will write if the problem reappears.
Last edited by squiddie on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi squiddie

3Dconnexion would like to find out why these kind of errors are appearing. Could you please specify the circumstances when the problem appears specifying as many details as you can.
agoenczi
squiddie

Post by squiddie »

hi agoenczi

sure. i'll try to do that. as i'm in holydays for three weeks now i can just provide you with details from my home machine with space navigator. i'd just need to know exactly what information you need. i didn't change anything before the problem appeared this morning. just switching on and off the pc.

i hope that the problem is solved now as i think moleman was on the right way about usb port enumeration order in his last post. i can try to reproduce the problem by replugging the way it was yesterday to gather more information if you like.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi squiddie,
[edit] i tried different space explorers on the machine with the problem. it happens to every explorer and just on that machine. they work perfect on other machines. anyway: it's a 3dconnexion problem, software or hardware, as it must not be that those devices just work on 80% of all pcs...
I'm trying to follow you here. Our hardware works fine on four systems but not on a fifth. From that, you conclude the problem is with 3Dconnexion hardware.
What makes you think that? There may indeed be a problem with 3Dconnexion hardware (that's why we're here), I'm not disputing that.
Does any 3D mouse work at all on that same machine?
squiddie

Post by squiddie »

oh right. that's a bit confusing. none of the mouses work on that single machine, but they work fine on each other pc.

the reason for my conclusion was that it's perhaps a problem with a specific usb host controller driver. i'm shure it's not the controller himself 'cause i have the wide spreaded intel 82801eb on a asus p4c800ed, but my driver is 4 years old (intel 5.0.2.1001). that's for my home machine. at work, where i tried the different mouses, it's a quite new dell core2 thingy. what speaks against this is that it also didn't work with a pci usb board where it worked fine just for a few days, as it did on the original motherboard's usb ports.

i don't know the usb architecture in detail but it seems that in some cases the enumeration process doesn't get initiated by the mouse which should be at startup or when hot plugging.
Last edited by squiddie on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi squiddie,

Thanks for the clarification. I've also seen similar problems (plug-in a device would cause others to stop working on the same bus) with unrelated hardware).

We're investigating these reports (device not found), trying to find some common thread but it has proven very elusive.