Lock Horizon in Rhino 5

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

dagadw

Lock Horizon in Rhino 5

Post by dagadw »

Hello,

I have a space navigator that I use with Rhino 5. I am running windows 10 and the latest 3d connection software/driver. I have searched online exhaustively to find out how to lock the horizon. I found this advice in one the threads on this forum:

"In Rhino V5 the Rhino profile has a button mapped to the 3d navigation options. The left SpaceNavigator button is mapped to Rhino's pop-up menu with options to Lock Horizon and choose Camera or Helicopter Mode

Also in Rhino Options under "Tools -> Options -> Rhino Options -> View you can choose Rotate around world axes or Rotate relative to view."

None of this correlates with my experience. Please see attached screens. I have everything working how I want, except for LOCK HORIZON. WHERE IS IT???

Thanks for your help,

David
Attachments
rhino screen 3.jpg
rhino screen 3.jpg (71.08 KiB) Viewed 13984 times
rhino screen 2.jpg
rhino screen 2.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 13984 times
rhino screen 1.jpg
rhino screen 1.jpg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 13984 times
UtaSH

Re: Lock Horizon in Rhino 5

Post by UtaSH »

Hi David,

please try the following: in the 3Dconnexion properties window open the Buttons and click to "Restore Defaults". See if this helps. From your screenshot (rhino screen 3.jpg) the command in the Rhino Options is correct.
dagadw

Post by dagadw »

UtaSH wrote:Hi David,

please try the following: in the 3Dconnexion properties window open the Buttons and click to "Restore Defaults". See if this helps. From your screenshot (rhino screen 3.jpg) the command in the Rhino Options is correct.
Thanks, but this is not what I am looking for. Restoring defaults just does exactly that. I am looking for a LOCK HORIZON option as there has been in the past. I had to go into advanced options and reverse all the directions in order to get it close to what I am used to (which is a helicopter mode with a locked horizon). Restore defaults just un-reverses everything.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi dagadw,

apologies for my previous post. I tested the situation with a different device connected and was not able to reproduce the issue. But you are right: the left button does not send the correct button number to Rhino and therefore Rhino can not react properly.

Are you using other applications with your 3D mouse? If not you can use an older version of the driver from our driver archive: 3DxWare 10.4.3 might not have this problem. If not 10.3.0 should work fine.

We are tracking the issue with our internal bug number #7325. I will let you know once this is fixed.
archimess

Post by archimess »

UtaSH wrote:Hi dagadw,

apologies for my previous post. I tested the situation with a different device connected and was not able to reproduce the issue. But you are right: the left button does not send the correct button number to Rhino and therefore Rhino can not react properly.

Are you using other applications with your 3D mouse? If not you can use an older version of the driver from our driver archive: 3DxWare 10.4.3 might not have this problem. If not 10.3.0 should work fine.

We are tracking the issue with our internal bug number #7325. I will let you know once this is fixed.
Has this been fixed in anyway or maybe you can give us some sort of a workaround?

I've rolled back to 10.4.3 and than to 10.3.0 and still the problem persists.
archimess

Post by archimess »

archimess wrote:
UtaSH wrote:Hi dagadw,

Has this been fixed in anyway or maybe you can give us some sort of a workaround?

I've rolled back to 10.4.3 and than to 10.3.0 and still the problem persists.
So apparently you need to restore defaults and then the dedicated pop-up will work on a button click inside Rhino and there you'll find the 'lock-horizon' option.
Don't know if this will work on 10.4.3 but it works on 10.3 fine and I lost too much time trying to fix the problem, so there you have it.

But please fix it for the next release.
cosmasad1

Post by cosmasad1 »

Dear Archimess,

This is intriguing.

Could you be more specific when you mean “and then the dedicated pop-up will work on a button click inside Rhino…” What do you mean by “a button click inside Rhino”?

Thank you.
cosmasad1

Post by cosmasad1 »

Alright, all, I was able to make it work.

I uninstalled the current driver and installed 10.3.0 from 3d Connexion's archive. I then created an alias for the following macro:

! _SpaceMouse _Popup_Menu

When I trigger the alias, a menu comes up with the Camera/Helicopter option. If you choose Camera mode, then Lock Horizon becomes available. When I did this I was able to move around my architectural model with ease.
sorweel

Post by sorweel »

Can we please get this fixed? I tried rolling back to .3 and the 'restore default' button to get the 'lock horizon' option to come back. Didn't work. Either let us get the older drivers that work (still works on my workstation at the office....) or fix this in an update. Lock horizon is an essential part of using the mouse for most of us architects.
sorweel

Post by sorweel »

Ahhh, used the alias method and got it to work. Thanks for the tip!

...still..3DC....fix this...
catman1974

Post by catman1974 »

I manage to lock the horizon with the use of the alias button method as suggested using the 10.4.3 driver. No need to uninstall it.
DaveCaxton

Post by DaveCaxton »

I have driver version 10.4.10 and this STILL has not been fixed. (July 20 2017) Need to use the alias workaround. Why do these minor fixes never get addressed?
roddyread

Post by roddyread »

Have you tried using the SpaceMouse command in Rhino 5 yet?