Calibration doesn't prevent drifting (Deadband adjustment)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

loddie

Calibration doesn't prevent drifting (Deadband adjustment)

Post by loddie »

Using a SpaceExplorer USB in Fusion360, the view constantly drifts. Mac 10.11.5 3DxWare 10.3.1 Tried "Calibrate" many times in the tools tab (System Preferences>3DConnexion>Tools. After calibration, the drifting slows, increases speed, and/or reverses direction. So the calibration appears to have an effect, it just does not stop the drifting (continuously changing view perspective). Even when Device Overall Speed is at minimum, it is annoying enough to discontinue use.

In this thread (https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... =25&t=5360), there is discussion of manually adjusting "global Deadband". Is it possible to manually adjust this on a Mac?

I have always had a slight drifting problem, regardless of operating system, program, drivers, or calibration technique. So the SpaceExplorer has hardly ever been used. But each time I try new CAD software, I think this may be the one in which it will work. IIRC, the sensors are optical. Is it possible dust, hair, or something is preventing correct calibration?
UtaSH

Re: Calibration doesn't prevent drifting (Deadband adjustmen

Post by UtaSH »

Hi loddie,

we might have a firmware update available for your device. What is the firmware version of your device? You get get this information in the "Tools" tab in the System Preferences -> 3Dconnexion.

Unfortunately we have the tool to flash the device with a new firmware only for Windows. So it would be great if you have access to a Windows machine or if you have a virtual Windows machine that you can use to flash the device.
loddie

Post by loddie »

Hello UtaSH,

That is good news! The firmware is 4.04

I do have a PC with Windows 7. I updated 3DxWare 10.4.3. On the PC, the SpaceExplorer exhibits the same behavior, always slightly drifting (usually rolls to the right), so it is probably hardware or firmware.

I thought I was thorough, but I couldn't see any options to update firmware nor calibrate in the software windows and 3DxWare folders. How do I update the firmware? Do I download the firmware flasher?

Thanks!
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello loddie,

I apologize for the delay.
You device is too old. Sorry. It cannot be updated.

To calibrate you right-click to the 3Dconnexion icon in the system tray and the selecting “Calibrate”. You will be asked “not to touch the cap while LEDs are blinking”. Confirm and wait until the process is finished (just a few seconds). Another window will inform you that the calibration is finished.
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Hi Guys,

Been using 3D Connexion mice for years, a Space Pilot with ProE from 2002 up to 2008 and with Inventor since 2010 using a Space Navigator most recently, life would not be the same without one.

I used to get occasional drifting back in the ProE days, but not very often, all my co workers got it too. I never had a problem with Inventor until upgrading to Inventor 2016 Pro with a new Dell T7810 Workstation.
Now it seems to drift all the time, I'm the only victim of this here, all of us had the upgrades. I have re-set the defaults, I have calibrated it, I have uninstalled the software and reloaded it and still my world keeps turning! It is very frustrating and, if I keep thumping the thing to stop it drifting, pretty soon it'll be physically broken. The Navigator is about 4 years old and has never had this problem previously.

Please can you offer a solution?

Regards - Dave
mechatronics

Post by mechatronics »

I get drift when plugging Spacenavigator into USB 3.0 port. No drift when plugged into a USB 2.0 port.
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Hi Mechatronics,
I've now tried every bank of USBs on the PC - to no avail - world keeps turning - thanks anyway - Dave
carloquinonez

Post by carloquinonez »

I'm having trouble with drifting too. It started recently, and recalibration doesn't completely fix it. Is there a firmware update for my SpacePilot Pro (firmware v4.11)?
--------------------------------------------------
Carlo Quiñónez
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi carloquinonez,

the firmware SpacePilot Pro cannot be updated - sorry. :( If the device is still within warranty please contact our Technical Support Team.
mariocha

Post by mariocha »

Same here, using my Space navigator has become so painful, I unplug it away. Always drifting away. :cry:
No calibration possible ? :x
Sierra, SketchUP 2017
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello mariocha,

which firmware does your device have now?