Rhino parallel viewport functionallity?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

lofter

Rhino parallel viewport functionallity?

Post by lofter »

Hi, just got the SpaceNavigator up and running- very impressed so far. Only one problem- the unit will not roll or spin the model in a parallel viewport, only perspective. Is this a known limitation? Thanks.
torniaccio

Post by torniaccio »

Hy lofter
I've the same limitation in Catia when i sketch on a plane, but this is a feature of the software, maybe is the same for u. Anyway, try to enable by 3dx control panel the tilt spin .. function.

Ciao, Roberto.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

torniaccio wrote:same limitation in Catia when i sketch on a plane, but this is a feature of the software
Note that it is always possible to enable rotations in the Sketcher in CATIA. Simply, press the relevant button on the "3DxDevice" toolbar or use the "3D" button on your SpacePilot (if applicable).
Nuno Gomes
ngomes

Re: Rhino parallel viewport functionallity?

Post by ngomes »

lofter wrote:Hi, just got the SpaceNavigator up and running- very impressed so far. Only one problem- the unit will not roll or spin the model in a parallel viewport, only perspective. Is this a known limitation? Thanks.
It seems to be an application limitation. Have you contacted the editor? They may be able to shed some light on this issue. When you hear from them, we would appreciate if you posted the information here for the benefit of other Rhino users.
lofter

Post by lofter »

I should elaborate. I would like to be able to spin the model in Rhino in a viewport that is showing the model in 'isometric' projection, not a flat orthogonal (2D projection) view.

Example: View a model using the default 'Perspective' viewport. The model spins beautifully. Then in Viewport Properties, change Projection to Parallel. Now the model does not spin.

I would not expect to be able to spin the model in an orthogonal view.

Thanks.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

lofter wrote:I would not expect to be able to spin the model in an orthogonal view.
The different terminology used in different applications can be misleading. I was referring to an "orthogonal projection" in 3D (also known as "parallel projection"). I was not referring to an "orthographic projection" (2D representation of a 3D object).

Perhaps I'm mixing my "orthos." :wink:

Anyway, the advice in my previous post still stands: the best is to send a request to McNeel customer service and have it confirmed by them.
booner

Post by booner »

I was keen to get this sorted as I don't like modleing in perspective views. but fortuately stumbled across the answer.

Anyway if you go to Rhino options - view - spaceball and tick rotate plan parallel views. You should be able to use the space Explorer to spin round in parralel viewports.