The Magical v10.4.6 Driver Traveling Roadshow

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

codedidit

The Magical v10.4.6 Driver Traveling Roadshow

Post by codedidit »

Anybody run into this new driver's downloaded executable file which on Win7/64 just runs a few successive message boxes, one third and final box with a really snappy progress bar and then everything just seems to automatically close and terminate without having done anything.
No new 3DxWare or other 3DConnexion folders under C:\Program Files or any other logical place can be found after running the downloaded exe file.
Cannot find on this website how to find earlier versions for downloading.
Read on one 3rd party forum that you have to reinstall your previous version before you can properly uninstall it.
Have already gone through registry a few times. Found a few keys with sub key folders that are being protected from deletion. Not at ease with UAC permissions but have before back in Win2K days.

Anyway. My previous version was 10.3.x

But:

1. I'm not seeing where I can re-download the earlier version.

2. Also not seeing any install guideline that works or explains precisely whether the '.exe' download creates one or more '.msi' files, and whether the user has to go chase down and find and then run the '.msi'.

:evil:
codedidit

Re: The Magical v10.4.6 Driver Traveling Roadshow

Post by codedidit »

Really need to download that 10.3.x version and not sure how many of those there were.

I am presuming that the version that came on the disc was at least a couple years old and useless for this uninstallation purpose.

thanks

:roll:
codedidit

Post by codedidit »

P.S.

Yes, Before anyone asks, I also had no luck when all of the AVG stuff, including the firewall were disabled.
RPro

Post by RPro »

Hmmm. I kind of had a similar program - I kept getting permission errors in the later stages of the install - something about "Couldn't write to Pictures\SpacePilotPro" or something like that. My only solution was to reboot into safe mode and create that directory manually, then run the installer again. Very strange. My previous install I think was version 10.2, but that was under Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 (I did not install from scratch) afterwards, then got a Space Pilot Pro to replace the Space Navigator.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello codedidit -

With 3DxWare 10.3.x installed, the 3DxWare 10.4.6 installer would update components that have changed between versions in existing folders.

For a problem with the installed driver you can use the clean install steps here.

The .exe file runs Windows InstallShield and is all that is needed.

The other areas you mentioned are used only in specific circumstances. Extracting the .MSI files from the installer is an option used only for network or custom installs. Re-installing an earlier is version used when the uninstall information has been removed or its registry keys deleted causing specific uninstall errors.

On a network an administrator can be needed for an installation depending on how permissions are set up. None of those things apply to a typical installation ,though, so we will need to know more about the problem.

If you will let us know what kind of issue you are seeing we can provide a more direct response.
--------------
Barbara
codedidit

Post by codedidit »

Barbara,

With 3DxWare 10.3.x installed, the 3DxWare 10.4.6 installer would update components that have changed between versions in existing folders.

It was 10.3.0 by the way. And yes this all began when it seemed time to update the SpaceNavigator's driver. Had just updated Adesk applications to 2017 versions. AMD gpu drivers as well.

For a problem with the installed driver you can use the clean install steps here.

I followed each of the three different sets of instructions for a 'clean (3DConnexion) install' that I have found online.

The .exe file runs Windows InstallShield and is all that is needed.

Yes, one of the three message boxes that opens and stack up on top of each while the '.exe' rattles off whatever it is doing before the so called "msi extraction"? One of those boxes could have been that InstallSheild advermessage thing.

The other areas you mentioned are used only in specific circumstances. Extracting the .MSI files from the installer is an option used only for network or custom installs.

Yeah. Noticed that and not gonna make that adventure thanks. Barbara, When the downloaded ".exe" "installer" is opened, as administrator or not, the message repeatedly says ".msi"s are being extracted. I have never heard of ".msi" files being specific only to networked installations.

Re-installing an earlier is version used when the uninstall information has been removed or its registry keys deleted causing specific uninstall errors.

Which brings us back to square one. The exe for 10.3.0 which I was able to find -- get this -- exhibits the same behavior. It does not install properly.
And yes I still have a pretty dumb looking folder right at the top spot of my Program Files directory that reads "3Dconnexion.cleanup".... which, in my experience is not something that I have ever been required to create in 30 years of deinstalling software.

On a network an administrator can be needed for an installation depending on how permissions are set up.
None of those things apply to a typical installation ,though, so we will need to know more about the problem.

Whether networked or not my account is in the admin group. I can tell you that after the clean uninstall procedures plus running registry cleaners I scanned registry and there were two (2) remaining 3Dconnex keys that required higher permisions to be removed. Followed a guide for that and the keys finally came out.

If you will let us know what kind of issue you are seeing we can provide a more direct response.

So as she sits right now this Win7/64 system is - as far as I know - as clean as she was of any data by 3Dconnexion as the day before the SpaceNavigator was first installed.

I can tell you that if I run any of your drivers it appears they will all crash the same way.

One thing I have done that perhaps most Windows 7 users do not is this. I have changed some of the default settings of several Windows 7 Services. If any of those settings could effect how the installer would complete its tasks, let me know.

All I can tell you is that after the ".exe" runs, all of those several ".msi" files it claims to be extracting are nowhere to be found, least of all any of the temp folders on the C:\ drive or the Windows directories.

thanks - when it is run this whole ".exe""installation" event wraps up and closes its windows at the end within like 7 seconds, too fast to make a screen shot possbile.

Ask me anything.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello codedidit -

As far as Windows services, InstallShield uses the Windows Installer Service. A problem with the Windows Installer Service would affect any software using InstallShield , not just the 3Dconnection software.

It is possible do do a manual installation using the .MSI files. It is usually only for a custom network install that someone wants to use the .MSI files.
An issue with the Windows Installer Service or InstallShield would also be a reason to manually run the .MSI files.

To extract the .MSI files from the .exe installer , 2 extractions are needed. Extracting the compressed .exe results in a second .exe file. Extracting from the second .exe [3Dxware64.exe] results in folders 'components32shared' and 'components64' containing the .MSI files. The 'components64' folder contains the folder '3DxWinCore64' with 3DxWinCore64.msi which should be run first. 3DxWinCore64.msi installs the basic driver software then any add-ins like SolidWorks or Inventor can be installed from their folders.

While I do not know what part of what 'usually' works has failed to work in this case, a manual install provides an alternate way of getting it done. I am sorry it has been troublesome thus far. This way has more steps but will bypass whatever is failing in the automated install.
----------------
Barbara
codedidit

Post by codedidit »

Barbara,

In all these years most of them before 7zip, I never realized .exe files could be extracted into components like that.

3DxWinCore64.msi seems to have run just fine just now. Am sending this before shutting down to plug in SpaceNav and reboot.

Wish to know if any special caveats or procedures for laying in the Application Specific '.msi's' for Autodesk, Adobe and Office? Apps should be closed or open while running or from within the apps?

And do those app specific folders want to reside under the 3DConnexion folder, or should they go in folders under each of those applications.

Thanks for your patience as well.

Jim
codedidit

Roadshow Homecoming

Post by codedidit »

Barbara, thank you.

That is so much good work in the new drivers.

Best thing was that your method here does not require that the earlier method where the objective was to reinstall whichever earlier version (e.g., v10.3.0) had been improperly uninstalled.

I will find the program I used to adjust UAC permissions for a Registry Editor session and attach a link to that late tomorrow. In the Windows 7 Registry the original 3DxWare install or an upgrade left two keys locked from the three reg cleaners I used.

Just saying that once I learned these '.exe' files were designed to be extractable like above, thanks again Barbara, then only difficulty with the instructions above was not to and double click on file named, Setup.exe, which probably also would have worked just as well.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello codedidit -

Setup.exe does the work of running those .MSI files. It uses the Windows Installer Service though and in your case it was not cooperating.

Registry cleaners can be unpredictable so that we don't know which 3Dconnexion entries have been removed - thus the 'fix' of re-installing the previous version.

There are a couple of things with a manual install that you figured out but details could help.

The applications need to be closed when installing their add-ins. The add-ins create sub-folders in your Program Files/3Dconnexion/3DxWare path.

The individual MSIs for 3Dconnexion add-ins are used where the application does not recognize 3D devices on its own. AutoDesk .MSI is one you would only need for specific versions - AutoCAD 2007 through 2010. Beginning with the release of AutoCAD 2011, AutoDesk added support for 3D devices inside their application.

The LCD and LADP software [3DxLcdApplets64.msi and LADPInst.msi] add the SpacePilotPRO LCD functions. The .MSI name matches the application name - with slight variations for 3DxSI64.msi [Softimage] , 3DxStudio64.msi [3DStudioMAX] 3DxNLServer.msi [OnShape] .The demo and trainer software is optional [demo_programs.msi 3DxTrainer.msi 3DxCollage.msi]
---------------
Barbara