google earth and space navigator PE freeze the system

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

mnierychlo

google earth and space navigator PE freeze the system

Post by mnierychlo »

Hello,

I've got the space navigator and google earth. All versions and drivers are uptodate, so I'm a little bit disappointment, that my system will stop when I'm using google earth by flying with the Space navigator.
The full system freeze while I'm navigating. Not only Google earth it is really the full Mac os 10.4.10 whith all processes which stopped.
Did anyone have the same problem?

Marek
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

We've not seen or heard of a full system freeze happening before. If it's reproducible, please provide us more details.
drubob

Post by drubob »

I've been trying to install spacenavigator pe on a new macbook pro. I have OSX 10.4.9, the MBP has 2 GB of sdram and the 2.2 Ghz processor. I've tried to install at least 4 times and at the end of the process, when the installer offers to show me how to use the device--the computer freezes with a cryptic message that I need to restart. I have to hold down the power key to shut down the computer because it doesn't repond to keystrokes of mouse moves.

I just migrated to the Mac after years on PCs and this makes me feel all nostalgic, although it only dims the screen--doesn't go all blue.

What's the story?
DB in Brooklyn
drubob

Post by drubob »

Forgot one important thing--the spacenavigator pe doesn't work after all the above. If I plug in the unit I get a message that the installation was not succesful.

Hope to hear something helpful.

Thanks
DB in Brooklyn
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Usually when a crash like that happens, a crash report log is generated and the next time you restart, the OS will ask you to send it to Apple. If you see this, do a view report and send us the data.

You can also grab all of the crash logs in your ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter folder

I'll send you a note with my email
drubob

Post by drubob »

I found no such report.

Thanks
DB in Brooklyn
drubob

Post by drubob »

Sorry, just found the log. It wasn't where you sent me. Here it is.

Mac OS X Version 10.4.9 (Build 8Q1058)
2007-06-29 11:38:20 -0400
Jun 29 11:38:24 andrew-morris-computer ntpd[162]: bind() fd 12, family 30, port 123, addr fe80:8::201:23ff:fe45:6789, in6_is_addr_multicast=0 flags=0 fails: Can't assign requested address
2007-06-29 11:38:24.728 SystemUIServer[80] lang is:en
2007-06-29 11:51:39.983 DashboardClient[222] com.kamalaboulhosn.radarinmotion2: illegal type passed to setPreferenceForKey: <WebUndefined>
2007-06-29 11:51:39.983 DashboardClient[222] com.kamalaboulhosn.radarinmotion2: illegal type passed to setPreferenceForKey: <WebUndefined>
Jun 29 13:20:04 andrew-morris-computer configd[33]: Error: Failed to join most recent network "dbnetwork", err=88001006 (will search for any others)
Ignoring Quickdraw drawing between QDBeginCGContext and QDEndCGContext
Jun 29 14:03:09 andrew-morris-computer ntpd[162]: sendto(17.254.0.27): Can't assign requested address
Jun 29 14:39:56 andrew-morris-computer configd[33]: Error: Failed to join most recent network "dbnetwork", err=88001006 (will search for any others)
Jun 29 15:11:24 andrew-morris-computer ntpd[162]: sendto(17.254.0.27): Can't assign requested address
Jun 29 16:19:42 andrew-morris-computer ntpd[162]: sendto(17.254.0.27): Can't assign requested address
Jun 29 16:37:54 andrew-morris-computer crashdump[355]: Finder crashed
Jun 29 16:37:54 andrew-morris-computer crashdump[355]: crash report written to: /Users/andrewmorris/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
/Users/build_guy/Development/SketchUp/Source/MacApp/../BaseApp/../Model/../Utils/../MacWin/CString.h:372: failed assertion `nIndex <m_pData>nDataLength'
3DxSketchup Plug-in: [83] Initializing...
3DxSketchup Plug-in: [115] 3Dconnexion device initialized. Client ID: 8197
3DxSketchup Plug-in: [126] Initialization complete.
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
/Users/build_guy/Development/SketchUp/Source/MacApp/../BaseApp/../Model/../Utils/../MacWin/CString.h:372: failed assertion `nIndex <m_pData>nDataLength'
DB in Brooklyn
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

There's at least one crash log in there...

/Users/andrewmorris/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log

Can you please email me all the files in the CrashReporter folder?
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Hi!
I can inform you that I've also got similar problems, and I'm running Vista on my computer. My problem is that Google Earth hangs after a few minutes of use, every single time, and it's getting really anoying!

I have saved a dump and can send it to you if you provide an email adress...

Regards
/PeterH
drubob

Post by drubob »

I finally today got the spacenavigator installed on my Macbook Pro. The one step that screwed up the installation was to agree to learn about configuration before finalizing the install. I don't remember the exact side trip, but instead of finalizing I clicked the other alternative.

Since restarting the MBP, I had one freeze with Google Earth, but was able to close the program after unplugging the SN.

Hope this is helpful.
DB in Brooklyn
skygtq

Post by skygtq »

I've got the exact same problem as mnierychlo pointed out in his post:
Hello,

I've got the space navigator and google earth. All versions and drivers are uptodate, so I'm a little bit disappointment, that my system will stop when I'm using google earth by flying with the Space navigator.
The full system freeze while I'm navigating. Not only Google earth it is really the full Mac os 10.4.10 whith all processes which stopped.
Did anyone have the same problem?

Marek
This is getting pretty annoying, since there's no way to just shut down Google Earth. The whole system is not responding, mouse is frozen. Sometimes it just reboots after 20 seconds being frozen.

MacBook Pro with 2,16 GHz, 2gig ram. Mac OS X 10.4.10 all up to date. The 3DConnextion "Driver" is the latest available on the home page (1.3.0).

It doesn't seem to generate a crash report in the location you pointed flomotan to, there's no such log for today. And it hung twice today....

Any suggestions?

Thanx, SkyGTQ
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Which version of Google Earth are you running? The latest version today is 4.2.0198.2451. Please try that version if you're not already running it.

Getting a crash log or some reproducible steps would really be helpful. Any details that can help us duplicate the issue is also welcome. Some things to pay attention to when the crash occurs...
- Was there a specific action you did (eg load a kml, navigate to the south pole)
- It's crashing after a certain number of minutes or hours of continuous navigation
- What other applications/processes are running
- Any kind of pattern of use that leads to a crash
mnierychlo

Post by mnierychlo »

I'm using the newest version of google earth and mac os x and space navigator. I've got the freezes with 10.4.9 and with google earth 4.1.x.

I don't do anything special. Just navigate through the world or using the new flight modus.
It not depends on time. Sometimes it freeze after 2 min and then again after just 1. Sometimes I can do what I want.
No other apps running while it's freeze. I can restart my iMac and the problem accurs after some minuntes.

marek
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Hi mnierychlo,

I wanted to clarify one thing regarding your post. You mentioned that you got the freeze with GE 4.1.x and 10.4.9. Now that you are running the lastest OS X and GE versions, are you still getting the freezes or is it working fine now?

thanks
mnierychlo

Post by mnierychlo »

Flomotan-

yes, the freezes are still there with updated GE and updated Max OS X. But I can't give you any important informations, because the freezes occured in different situations.
I'll hope that leopard will be out in a few days, so I'll try it with a clean install. Not only for google earth, but I got two oddities more. ;-)

Marek