Maya 2016 Extension 2

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Climberfx

Re: Maya 2016 Extension 2

Post by Climberfx »

sirpiltrafus wrote:UtaSH said on may 4th:
"I will make sure the priority is increased on this"

I'm writing this on june 20th and still no support for maya 2016 ext2. I use your expensive hardware for work. Is a very important part of my workflow as I do a lot of camerawork. I like your product a lot. However I have to say that so much delay in offering support for such a mainstream application like Maya completely destroys my confidence in your company. This is clearly terrible customer support. I have two different versions of your controllers. notebook, space pilot. I'll love to get an updated model at some point. But this kind of situations make me doubt if is such a good idea to base my professional work on such an unreliable company.
Please compile the new plugin already. And please, also consider the release of some sort of open source version of your driver for Maya so at least companies can have some assurance that investing in your hardware is a sound option.

Thanks.
Bump. I agree. I buy it. I love it, but now, i hate it. Just because you forgot us! What a disrespect and shame!
Even if the driver come tomorrow working perfectly on OSX El Captain in Maya 2016 Ext2 SP1, i will not recommend you guys to any one.
So tired of waiting. And i can tell, we already had from Autodesk, the Ext2, Ext 2 sp1, i believe we will have Ext 2 SP2, SP3, and still no driver from this shit yet.
I lost the respect and composure from about this company.
And i already read that the new version that was said is in beta test (that i can't find anywhere), will not have support for it.
F@#$ you guys!
jim_altvr

Post by jim_altvr »

Finally decided to file a support ticket. Here is the response I got today:
"Good Afternoon <username omitted>

It is not typical that updates or even major releases affect support of 3Dconnexion products, but obviously in this case support for the 3D mouse was affected by changes to Maya. The plugin for Maya required changes made by our development team here at 3Dconnexion, which have been made and are now in the QA phase. I apologize that when you originally inquired we were not able to provide you a more accurate time frame, however now I can share that the next driver should be publicly available at the end of the week <emphasis mine>...
<other message content omitted>
...Best Regards,

Paul St.Pierre "
So I guess now we wait until the end of next week.
Mayauser

Post by Mayauser »

Wow, better than the response I got when I filed a ticket a month and a half ago. Then they just said they were working on it, but couldn't give any timeframe.
Climberfx

Post by Climberfx »

Yep, better then mine too.
I mine response they told the next update was already almost ready, but would lack update for the EXT2 of Maya, because they told it came on finish of the release update.

I hope your response is right and they make it work for latest Maya. And happens like they say, that from now on, Maya does not make all driver's unworkable.

Hope. Soon! But this week end's tomorrow...
sirpiltrafus

Post by sirpiltrafus »

The week is gone. No drivers. Some of us are bleeding money everyday this is delayed. Not your problem I guess. Its mine because I gave too much credit to your company. The product is solid. Support is not.
Please, if you could really give this some attention it would be really helpful.
Thanks.

Also I'll like to include a quote from another post. I think he does a great job explaining what I think about this situation. I believe you should read it again and carefully consider what it says.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16050

Post by snolan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 pm
"...patience is not a problem. It's just disappointing you guys don't have the source code available to your customers, that's all. If in the unlikely chance the company goes out then the supporting software dies with whatever version of the 3D application it was last compiled on (which has happened to me from other expensive peripherals). I can see the point if the drivers/plugins were packaged with the product but since both the drivers and SDK are freely downloadable then it makes sense to me to have it for developers who can compile it for testing our even enhancing and sharing with the community. I don't mean to be a hard case, but just wanting to make sure my investment is supported and that if needed I can continue it's use even if the company has not (again, I hope not the products are great).

Cheers,
-Sean"
Mayauser

Post by Mayauser »

Really, still nothing? At this rate Maya 2017 is going to be out before they support 2016.5.
Mayauser

Post by Mayauser »

Yay, it seems to be working now!
michaelk42

Post by michaelk42 »

AND OH LOOK 3Dconnexion went and un-supported the SpaceExplorer USB between 10.4.3 and 10.4.4? What, 10.5 wasn't soon enough?

From now on I think I'll just stick with the thumb-trackball and G13. I get more keys and better control for less than what one of these paperweights goes for used. I got used to it in the last couple of months anyway.
Mayauser

Post by Mayauser »

michaelk42 wrote:AND OH LOOK 3Dconnexion went and un-supported the SpaceExplorer USB between 10.4.3 and 10.4.4? What, 10.5 wasn't soon enough?
Wait, are you saying the Space Explorer doesn't work anymore?! I haven't gone and checked the system that still has one of those, but are they actually dead now? I mean, I get dropping support, as in "if it works it works, but we aren't going to do tech support on it," but actually killing the drivers for it seems extreme.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello Mayauser -

You are right that the 'supported' designation indicates how long technical support is available and how long a legacy device is tested with new software.

You are still free to try a current driver with a device that is beyond its extended support dates.
-----------
Barbara
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

We are sorry you are disappointed with the driver availability for your SpaceExplorer.

We would like to clarify that SpaceExplorer was discontinued in May 2013 2010 and software support was maintained for three years. This means we continued to test the product with all new drivers until May 31st 2016.

After this date, we did not take any steps to stop SpaceExplorer working, but it is not tested with newer drivers. This means we do not list these drivers when you search for SpaceExplorer on the driver download page. However, if you download our latest 3DxWare driver (10.4.4) from our driver download site by searching for another product (I suggest SpaceMouse Pro or SpaceMouse Enterprise), there is a chance it will work fine with your SpaceExplorer and Maya. Please be aware that because SpaceExplorer is not tested with this driver we will not be able to offer further technical support (but we hope that is not necessary).

The current driver 3DxWare 10.4.4 shows the SpaceExplorer as a discontinued device, but the support for this device has not been removed so far.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

sorry for the delay. We released a new driver for Windows - 3DxWare 10.4.4. This one has support for Maya Extension 2.
Climberfx

Post by Climberfx »

Ow, great! So, we, OS X users are doomed!
Marvelous, thank you!
Thank you a lot! The Windows version already was in a newer version from OS X, now, OS X users got smoked by support!
You all are the best!
Janoshx

Post by Janoshx »

So where is the OSX driver update?
Climberfx

Post by Climberfx »

Yes, it was released. I believe today.
Already downloading.
But the auto update do not detect it, need to go to drivers page on site.
Thank you very much by the update.
I hope it work on Maya 2016 Ext 2 SP1.
Thank's again.