SpaceNavigator Stopped Working with FireStorm

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

FitzRaymond

SpaceNavigator Stopped Working with FireStorm

Post by FitzRaymond »

Hello,
This is the first time I have posted to this forum. I'm hoping to find some help. Here's my situation:

I am using an iMac with OS X El Capitan version 10.11.5
I am using FireStorm V. 4.7.7.48706 to access Second Life.
I am using SpaceNavigator with the v10-1-2_r1773 driver.

here's the problem:
The navigator works to move my camera left, right, up, and down, but swivel does not work.
It does work on other viewers (but I like Firestorm).
I have already done the following:
* Clean installed Firestorm
* Clean installed the driver (all versions)

Another thing: The driver works on my Macbook Air!!!

Does anyone have any idea what this is happening. I hate to have to go to another viewer.

Thank you
Barbara

Re: SpaceNavigator Stopped Working with FireStorm

Post by Barbara »

Hello FitzRaymond -

Second Life | Firestorm have support for and settings for 3D devices built inside their software. It is Linden Labs that works with support questions about using 3Dconnexion devices in Second Life.
That said, we may be able to help determine the source for what you are seeing.

If you are connecting to the same SL account with the Space Navigator on the Macbook Air and rotation is working, it would mean the problem setting is in the 3Dconnexion Preferences on the iMac.

You describe navigation working , but there is an axis direction missing - rotation [swivel].

Usually a missing axis direction in Firestorm would be corrected with their Space Navigator defaults. That would not be the case here if those settings are working properly when you connect from another Mac.

The clean install of the 3Dconnexion software may have missed something.

If 'Restore defaults' in 3Dconnexion Preferences on the iMac does not restore the rotation , clear the 3Dconnexion settings by removing the 'com.3dconnexion.*' files in User Preferences [~/Library/Preferences].

To remove the 3Dconnexion software and the preferences:

1. In Applications|Utilities run 'Uninstall 3Dconnexion Driver.app'
2. Go to ~|Library|Preferences and delete everything named 'com.3dconnexion.*'
Make sure to look in your home directory [ ~} rather than in the system's Library| Preferences folder.
The file 'com.3dconnexion.plist' is the important one that needs to be removed to clear 3Dconnexion settings.
3. Restart the iMac and reinstall the driver

You should now have all of the axis directions available on the iMac as you do on the Macbook Air.
--------------------
Barbara
FitzRaymond

Post by FitzRaymond »

Thank you so much Barbara. I just saw your reply. I will go through these steps and keep you posted on how it goes. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer me.
FitzRaymond

Post by FitzRaymond »

WOW!!! It worked. Thank you very much. :D