SpacePilot PRO - solidworks and ergonomy

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

astuntas

SpacePilot PRO - solidworks and ergonomy

Post by astuntas »

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing SpacePilot PRO. I borrowed older SpacePilot just to get my hands on the joystick, and I have faced some questions thinking about newer device. I will appreciate if you share your experience.

1. You can swap all buttons with older SpacePIlot: I assigned Ctrl to Alt key, Shift to Ctrl key- this way it is more like regular keyboard and is easier to work with. I want to make sure this will also be possible with SpacePilot PRO. Could somebody please confirm ?
2. I use a lot of doube key shortcuts, for example Ctrl + Key1 etc. Works perfectly with SpacePilot. I read that PRO version has the feature of long-press the button (you can bind second command to the key if you hold it for 1 sec or more). Could you please confirm that PRO version works with double key shortcuts - Ctrl+ something, Alt+ something etc?
3. I do not have the possibility to try SpacePilot PRO - so I can not test how it feels, but I am slightly concerned about how ergonomic are the keys in the picture below. I mean - are they easily accessible without too much hand movement? How do you feel about them?
astuntas

Re: SpacePilot PRO - solidworks and ergonomy

Post by astuntas »

4. I am working with Solidworks - currently SW2015 and will probably upgrade to 2016 version. Do you have any issues with SpacePilot PRO with these SW versions, like software/driver bugs or similar? Something like in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Y-DyJo5pw
5. How on earth should I edit my post :) ?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Asuntas,

you can assign different function to the keys with the SpacePilot Pro as well. So you can assign Ctrl to Alt, Shift to Ctrl, ...

Macros like Ctrl+O can be used as well with the SPP. What you cannot use is a macro where you have to press a key and then do something until you release the key. Press + hold is not available with the keys except with the functions of the modifier keys.

The video that you refer to is almost three years old and the driver that is used in the video, too. There are no such problems with SolidWorks. At least not as far as I know. ;)
astuntas

Post by astuntas »

Thank you for the information. Can you tell what was the problem in this case?
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15967
Was it that the old drivers were uninstalled incorrectly or what?
astuntas

Post by astuntas »

Also, is there any workaround to automatically "Lock 3d" when sketch is entered in part/assembly environment, and unlock it again after closing the sketch? Solidworks 2015/2016
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

astuntas wrote:Thank you for the information. Can you tell what was the problem in this case?
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15967
Was it that the old drivers were uninstalled incorrectly or what?
The reason was that the de-installation was done manually and/or with the help of external tools. This removed entries in the registry which caused then any other installation of the 3Dconnexion driver to fail.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

astuntas wrote:Also, is there any workaround to automatically "Lock 3d" when sketch is entered in part/assembly environment, and unlock it again after closing the sketch? Solidworks 2015/2016
The rotation is disabled in the Sketch mode automatically in SOLIDWORKS.
David25

Post by David25 »

Dear,
I would love that the space mouse enterprise detect SKETCH mode in Solid works, like advertized.
... because IT DOES NOT!!
It remain in Assembly or part mode, so it doesn't lock the rotation in sketch mode... very anoying.

I raised the point to 3D connexion and this is now taken in account :
Unfortunately the driver cannot recognize the Sketch environment in SOLIDWORKS. This is due to the API that SolidWorks provides. I have logged your inquiry as an enhancement request #6862 for more environments for button mapping, specifically including Sketch mode.

We will inform you once we have news for this request.
Regards,

Anyway, that a real flaw for Solidworks users and I hardly imagine why there is no more complain about this.
If you experience the same issue, please mention it to give more weight to the enhancement request.

Thanks a lot!
David
astuntas

Post by astuntas »

UtaSH wrote:
astuntas wrote:Also, is there any workaround to automatically "Lock 3d" when sketch is entered in part/assembly environment, and unlock it again after closing the sketch? Solidworks 2015/2016
The rotation is disabled in the Sketch mode automatically in SOLIDWORKS.
This is wrong information, it does not lock the rotation nor it is possible. Lets hope it will be possible in the future.