Mute button with SpaceMouse Pro

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

drkieffer

Mute button with SpaceMouse Pro

Post by drkieffer »

I use NX for cad modeling, but would like to map one of the numbered buttons on the 3D motion controller, or one of the zoom buttons on my CADmouse, to "mute" the windows volume (maybe even a radial pop up?).

I know I've done this before, with an older SpacePilot, but I don't see the options now. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Dave
-Dave
Siemens NX12 with Windchill
SpaceMouse Pro and CADmouse (and a SpacePilot!)
jwick

Re: Mute button with SpaceMouse Pro

Post by jwick »

Hi Dave,

There are three ButtonActions that control the volume. They are not included in the GUI, but you can add them.
If you add these ButtonActions to your NX cfg, or any cfg, they will be available for mapping to your 3D mouse buttons.

Code: Select all

<ButtonActions>
    <ButtonAction Type="Driver_Other">
      <ID>Driver_VolumeMute</ID>
      <Name>Volume Mute</Name>
    </ButtonAction>
      <ID>Driver_VolumeDown</ID>
      <Name>Volume Down</Name>
    </ButtonAction>
      <ID>Driver_VolumeUp</ID>
      <Name>Volume Up</Name>
    </ButtonAction>
  </ButtonActions>
drkieffer

Post by drkieffer »

Where is the .cfg stored? in my local user profile?

Side note, is there a way to store the profile on the network, so no matter what workstation I log into, my 3dx device will work the same? We use NXcustom (NX geeks will be familiar with it), to store all of our NX related history, and user settings on the server, so adding this would be a bonus.
-Dave
jwick

Post by jwick »

If you add them to the UGSNX.xml file under Program Files/3Dconnexion/3DxWare/3DxWinCore64/Cfg they will be available in the 3DxSmartUI GUI for mapping to a button. You will see many other <ButtonAction>s. Just add them in that list.

Your user cfgs (your changes) are stored in a roaming directory. Windows Active Directory will mirror all those files on every domain machine you log into. You should not have to do anything. Your sysadm should have the details. If you are not using AD, then you can copy those files to a central location when you log out and copy them to a local machine when you log in.
drkieffer

Post by drkieffer »

Perfect!!

Thanks Jim!!
-Dave
Flamebo

Post by Flamebo »

Is it possible to use the SpaceMouse as a media controller? Volume up/Down, Play/Pause, Previous/Next track. This would be such a useful feature.
jwick

Post by jwick »

There are several MediaPlayer related ButtonActions that can be assigned to Buttons:

Driver_Start_MediaPlayer
Driver_MediaPlayer_Mute
Driver_MediaPlayer_DecreaseVolume
Driver_MediaPlayer_IncreaseVolume
Driver_MediaPlayer_PreviousTrack
Driver_MediaPlayer_Play
Driver_MediaPlayer_Pause
Driver_MediaPlayer_NextTrack

It's relatively easy to assign them to buttons, but the GUI only makes app-specific assignments. That is, when you change applications, those assignments stay with the old application. There are ways of assigning buttons globally, but you have to do some XML editing. There are posts for that on the forum.

It is also possible to assign a type of "Shift Key" to assignments. So you can, for example, hold a button down and your SMP 1-4 buttons can temporarily actuate the above MediaPlayer functions.

The problem with all these advanced techniques is that the GUI can't help you. Sometimes it will display what you did, but it is of little help setting it up.