space navigator crashes el capitan

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

robsm

space navigator crashes el capitan

Post by robsm »

Hi.
I attempted to instal space navigator software from the supplied Disc.

All seemed to be going well until the Restart .

The computer will not restart. The boot process stops about 2/3 across the progress bar and flips to a white screen with the prohibitors (ghostbuster) sign.
Safe mode single use and command did not help' I downloaded el capitan & re-installed it. The machine booted from the re-installation, but after shutting down it will not now re-boot.

Astonishingly to me - a new user - support will not help at all because my INTENDED use was to be with Rhino for Mac. Never mind that (i) I have lots of other programmes (ii) McNeel et al state that Rhino for Mac is compatible with Space Navigator.

The point is that the crash during installation has nothing to do with any programme - the installation process crashed el capitan.

Has anyone suffered a similar result ? Can anyone help with this please?
Regards,
Rob.
UtaSH

Re: space navigator crashes el capitan

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Rob,

the driver on the CD was created long before El Capitan. Please use the latest driver from our website.
reharg

Post by reharg »

Hi Rob,

I just bought the Space Navigator a couple of days ago and had the same ghostbusters experience - it also locked up my OS X El Capitan v 10.11.2 while attempting to install the drivers from the supplied disc. Fortunately I have my computer set up to use Time Machine to back up all my programs and files to an external hard drive and I used that in a Recovery mode to get back my computer. I then went to the 3DConnection website and downloaded the correct driver and it worked flawlessly. However, I was very annoyed with the inconvenience of the incident. I see in the thread that someone from 3Dconnection has advised you to go directly to the website for the correct driver stating that the driver on the CD "was created long before El Capitan" .... I do think 3Dconnection should try to be proactive about getting that word out to the distributors of the device so it doesn't cause more trouble for the unsuspecting..... I was fortunate to not lose any data with my experience because I save my projects frequently while working them and because the Time Machine backup process had saved an image of my computer and files not an hour before the lock up due to the driver installation from the supplied disc. Some may not be so fortunate......

I will say that the Space Navigator is really a great addition to my work. It does everything advertised and is easy to use. I have just started with it and already it has improved my Sketchup experience significantly.

Ron
Greybruce

Post by Greybruce »

I'm another victim -I just received my Space Navigator and installed from the CD onto my latest version El Capitan and now I cannot get my computer to start. I disconnected all pheripherals except for wired keyboard and I get the slash zero icon even with the shift key held in during startup. I even tried booting from a known good thumb drive start up and it hangs up on the apple logo. Guess my excitement about getting this thing just got shot in the ass. Bummer guys.
Any help getting this thing going would be appreciated.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Greybruce,

I am sorry that you got that experience. I will contact you directly.
TrapHouse

Post by TrapHouse »

Yup, same kind of issue for me... restarting causes issues. Haven't used the 3d mouse or standard mouse (with middle click button) for quite some time now. Stopped using soon after buying them as a result of immediate issues with navigating in the viewport of Autodesk Maya (using the space navigator and standard mice alike). I Deleted the main files of connexion: I stopped experiencing issues. Updated to El Capitan and every time I restart I get a black screen with just a mouse cursor. I have to unplug all but one of my monitors, restart, press buttons on my keyboard, move my mouse, and disconnect and reconnect my connected monitor multiple times AND all simultaneously...

I long ago deleted anything I could find with 3dconnexion in the name of the file. I have narrowed it down to an issue with 3dconnexion through process of elimination I have deleted every app I have but still have the issue. I have taken my computer back to apple and had them dissemble and test every part on other computers and even replace 90% of the computer (logic board, GPUs, CPUs, and RAM). I have restored from backup on an entirely different Mac Pro (I have two). I have loaded every application I have onto a separate startup drive. All of which leads to connexion. I had emailed tech support maybe 10 months ago (about the initial problem), and received two replies in 2 months. I have been dealing with the issue ever since. Im obviously a patient person, but dealing with this has gotten on my nerves.

Oh forgot to mention, before I narrowed it down to Connexion I was experiencing the aforementioned issue at startup, EVERY TIME MY DISPLAYS TURNED OFF/ power saver mode. I narrowed it down to connexion, deleted all the files I could find and now the only issue that remains is the startup process I must go through.

Any help will be appreciated.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello TrapHouse,

can you explain why you think the problem is related to the3Dconnexion device or the 3Dconnexion driver?

Which driver did you install?

Did you uninstall it and still have problems? Or did you just remove it?

Which 3Dconnexion device(s) do you have?
Wagoneer

Post by Wagoneer »

I am currently experiencing the same problem. One day my Spacemouse Wireless was working fine (I use Sketchup 8) in El Capitan then the next it stopped. It's working in the tutorials. Downloading and installing the latest driver hasn't worked either. No amount of setting up in the Preference pane helps.
Our IT department are at a loss to explain the issue.

Mac OS 10.11.5
SketchUp 8
Spacemouse Wireless driver 10.3.1

With an unsupported version of SketchUp, Apple and 3D connexion all being possible suspects for the issue, has anyone got any idea what the problem is?
stephanieORL

Post by stephanieORL »

Hi all- I am having the same issue with the corrupt start up leading to prohibited sign. UtaSH - I know you contacted a few people directly. Is there anything that can be done? If so- please contact me ASAP as IT is about to wipe my hard drive.