10.2.4 Drivers killed Google Earth compatibility

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

unitarian411

10.2.4 Drivers killed Google Earth compatibility

Post by unitarian411 »

Mac OS 10.9.5
3DxWare 10.2.4
SpaceNavigator 4.20
Google Earth 7.1.5.1557

Preferences > Navigation > Non Mouse Controller : Enable Controller is checked

SpaceNavigator no longer works in Google Earth with this new driver.

(luckily still works with Sketchup...)
unitarian411

Re: 10.2.4 Drivers killed Google Earth compatibility

Post by unitarian411 »

Note that still in Google Earth, left and right buttons of Spacenavigator do appear to work, so the driver does at least recognize Google Earth, even though it has turned the most of my spacenavigator into a brick.

To test, I have them buttons to "Show Popup Menu" and "RM Tools" and these do appear.

Popup menu appears in the wrong place (not near mouse), Radial menu appears correctly under mouse.
SN_Paper-Weight

Post by SN_Paper-Weight »

I am very frustrated my Space Navigator is now a paper weight. I have tried seemingly everything reinstalled Google Earth, reinstalled 3Dconnexion drivers, manually deleted preference pane.
Please Help! :evil:
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi unitarian411 and SN_Paper-Weight,

it seems you encounter the problem described here.
unitarian411

Post by unitarian411 »

I see.

So Google gave you the wrong drivers. A customer noticed in June.

You released a new driver.

It is now November.

Hard to believe Google couldnt provide you with the right drivers since then....

If no one is home in QA at 3DConnexion, then let your customers do some beta testing. Label a driver beta and tell people it might break, and ask for their feedback. Those willing to take the risk can use the beta.

Do not release a new driver thats obviously not been tested with even the most used applications for the SpaceNavigator.

It is a sad state of (software) affairs for such a nice and functional piece of hardware.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

You misunderstood. Google is using old libraries from an older version of our driver. And they deliver the old libraries with Google Earth instead of using dynamically the latest ones from our driver. This is out of our control to change. The fix has to be provided by Google.

As stated in the linked post: We already contacted Google to correct this but haven’t yet received any response to this. Please make sure you open a report at Google for this issue to make them aware that their users need a fix for this problem.