SketchUp quirks and questions

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Smudge

SketchUp quirks and questions

Post by Smudge »

Hi, I just received a SpacePilot Pro and have a couple of issues and questions. First though, here is my environment.
OS X 10.9.5, SpacePilot Pro (fw 4.11), 3DxWare 10 (10.2.1), SketchUp Pro 2015 (15.3.329)
Everything is installed and running properly, still with the default settings (mostly).

Quirk #1: In the SketchUp profile, button 3 is set to Undo. In the SU app, when I press button 3, it does not Undo the last action as one would expect. Instead it cycles through the past 3 view positions. I'm assuming that the 3Dx driver is calling the Camera>Previous function instead of the Edit>Undo function.
Workaround: I have reconfigured button 3 to press Command+z so that it does Undo properly.
Question: Am I not understanding this option/feature properly or is this a bug?

Quirk #2: I wanted to map a # button to the Select tool but the Mapping:Application Command list does not include the Select tool. (You didn't include the most common/default tool?)
Workaround: I have reconfigured a # button to press Command+/ so that it switches to the Select tool.
Question 1: Is it possible for you to include ALL standard tools in the list?
Question 2a: I have installed 3rd party extensions that add their function to the Tools menu. I would like to assign buttons to these tools as well. Would it be possible to include non-standard tools too?
Question 2b: If you are not able to read/call the menu directly, could you include a way to manually enter the Menu Title? Similar to how one configures custom shortcuts in the System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts screen.

Quirk #3: When I assign a Keystroke to a button, there is not enough space in the box on the LCD screen to show the text of the button assignment. For example, the Undo change from above shows on the LCD as "3 Keystroke Comma..." so I can't see what key is actually assigned to that button.
Workaround: None that I've been able to figure out yet
Question A: Could you remove the "Keystroke " part of the text?
Question B: A better option would be to allow the user to set the text field to whatever they want. In my example, I would set it to show "Undo" instead of "Command+z"

Thanks.
It isn't God I have a problem with. It's his fan club that I can't stand.
Smudge

Re: SketchUp quirks and questions

Post by Smudge »

Sorry for the followup post but the board doesn't allow me to edit my own posts.

Regarding Quirk #3, although it is still an issue that should be addressed, I've discovered a workaround.
I've switched to using Macros that just press the same Keystroke. The benefit is that whatever name I give the macro, it is shown on the LCD screen.
So for the Undo macro that presses Command+z, I've named it "↩︎ Undo (⌘Z)" and it shows properly on the screen.

FYI, you can use most special/Unicode characters, including Emoji, and they appear on the screen. Cool.
It isn't God I have a problem with. It's his fan club that I can't stand.