Basic query from a SketchUp beginner

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

andrew92e

Basic query from a SketchUp beginner

Post by andrew92e »

My new mouse works smoothly... fantastic with SketchUp!

My only query is that the ROLL Left/Right roll doesn't work? This means I have to turn my model horizontally and roll it backwards or forwards and then turn it back. I sort of do this intuitively, so its not a big hassle BUT now I am getting better at using the mouse my hand wants to spin the model clock or anti clockwise naturally AND so its slowing me down a bit.

I use the latest version of SketchUp and OSX 10.9.4.

Should my mouse work this way... what am I doing wrong? :D
Barbara

Re: Basic query from a SketchUp beginner

Post by Barbara »

Hello andrew92e -

There is a 'Lock Horizon' option for SketchUp that needs to be turned off to enable the Roll axis. 'Lock Horizon' is turned on because it is often the preference for architectural models to have the horizon stay in place.

The 'Lock Horizon' option is in the SketchUp pop-up menu mapped to the left Space Navigator button. If the buttons have been re-mapped you can return to defaults in 3Dconnexion Properties - Configure - SketchUp.
-----------
Barbara
andrew92e

Post by andrew92e »

:D A great explanation and answer! Thanks Barbara, you're a gem! :D

Regards
jxgreene

Post by jxgreene »

I have a similar problem with my SpaceMouse Wireless and SketchUp 2015 (on a Mac OS 10.10.1). I can get the popup menu to appear with the left mouse button, but the option to lock/unlock the horizon is not available. I am using the latest 3DxWare for Mac OS - vs 10.2.1

The menu has these items:
Show Driver Preferences
Rotation On/Off
Pan Zoom On/Off
Toggle Dominant Filter
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi jxgreene,

this is our standard popup menu. It seems that the plugin for Sketchup is not (yet) installed on your machine. Check if you can see in Sketchup -> Preferences -> Extensions the entry for "3DxSketchup".

If not you should install the plugins from the driver again: System Preferences -> 3Dconnexion -> Tools -> Install Plug-ins.

Let me know what you find out.
jxgreene

Post by jxgreene »

Hi Uta,

Yes, the 3DxSketchup plug-in appears to be there. I re-ran the plug-in installer as you instructed, but still the menu has not changed.

Do think installing an older driver might solve this?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

No, you need the latest version for your current Sketchup.

Please check the following:
- go to Library -> Application Support -> SketchUp 2015 -> plugins
- verify if you have two files there: 3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin and 3DxSketchUp.rb
camilov92

Post by camilov92 »

UtaSH wrote:No, you need the latest version for your current Sketchup.

Please check the following:
- go to Library -> Application Support -> SketchUp 2015 -> plugins
- verify if you have two files there: 3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin and 3DxSketchUp.rb
Hello,

I am having a similar issue where I have my 3dconnextion navigtor device plugged and the setting are totally inversed from what I actually want. I check and I do not have "3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin and 3DxSketchUp.rb[/quote]" in my plug in folder. Where and how can I install them so I can start navigating with some fluidity? Thanks
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello camilov92,

what is the version of SketchUp that you have? And which driver version do you have installed?

I found the files in /Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/. There is a folder named 3DxSketchUp and a file 3DxSketchUp.rb. Let me know if you have that.
smaniku

Post by smaniku »

Hello, is there any update to this issue? I am having the same problem.

I have a Spacemouse Wireless,OSX El Capitan 10.11.3 on MacBook Pro 15'', 3DXWare 10.3.1, Sketchup 2016. As far as I can tell the plugin is installed, said files are in /Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/ and 3DxSketchup is listed under Preferences->Extensions.

In Driver Preferences the Right button is mapped to "Show Popup Menu", when the button is pressed in Sktechup a menu appears but this only has 4 items (Preferences, Rotation, Pan/Zoom and Dominant Filter) there are no settings for Camera Mode or Lock Horizon etc etc.

Please advise where I can access these options...
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello smaniku,

please open the 3Dconnexion preferences and open the drop down list on the top next to "Configure". How many entries for SketchUp do you have? If there is none or more that one then iIt may be - for some strange reasons - that the com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist file is messed up.
So please try remove it (you may want to have it backed up before!) from ~/Library/Preferences/. In any case please send us the file com.3dconnexion.plist for analysis. (Please note: Before removal, close the System Preferences and thus the 3Dconnexion prefs.) If you now reopen the 3dconnexion prefs, a new/clean com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist is created.

Let me know if this works.
smaniku

Post by smaniku »

Dear Uta,

I opened the preference folder and found that in addition to a com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist file there were also com.3dconnexion.server.xml, com.3dconnexion.3DMouseHome.plist, com.3dconnexion.Viewer.plist and com.3dconnexion.VirtualNumPad.plist files there. I deleted all and restarted the preferences pane and am now able to access the various camera modes through the pop-up menu. It seems these plists were from some older version of the driver which were not deleted / overwritten when I upgraded to the latest version.

Many thanks for you help.