Mouse Emulation Question

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

lambdaknight

Mouse Emulation Question

Post by lambdaknight »

In the Control Panel, I can select "Emulate Mouse" and there is an option for "Move mouse cursor". I can select "Move mouse cursor" and it does move the mouse cursor, but it also clicks the mouse. Is there any way to move the mouse without clicking?
Amnesiac

Re: Mouse Emulation Question

Post by Amnesiac »

I agree it makes this once useful function pointless- as whichever click button chosen is "clicked" and has an effect in the running application. I've tried all the ClickButtonX where X=4 to 7 and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

The other issue I have is that I use a trackball, and thus have switched the "new" mouse tracking introduced in Lion I think it was to the "old" tracking, so that the cursor moves as it always has, and as it does when I switch to my Windows box (which is attached via a KVM)

I like having my second screen running OSX when I switch away to the main screen on the KVM (taking the keyboard and mouse with it) and have in the past used the SpaceNavigator to allow me to mouse around in the visible window, that no-longer is possible :-(

I am running OSX 10.9.5 and 3DWare 10.2.1/Firmware 4.14 might try some of the older drivers I have to see if they work better for what I want.
Amnesiac

Post by Amnesiac »

I just uninstalled the driver and the SpaceNavigator was recognised as a mouse.

Install the drivers again and it's not possible to set the SpaceNavigator to work as a mouse using the 3Dconnexion software because when in "mouse emulation" mode, a button click HAS to be selected to allow the cursor movement tickbox to be selected!!!!

This behaviour is surely not the design, and if it is the design then I for one think it's madness!!!

What I'd like to do is have the driver installed, AND be able to use the device as a mouse for unsupported apps... I used to do this... and now it doesn't.

I think I'll raise a defect/support request... once I work out how to do that ;-)
traal

Post by traal »

It appears that 3DxWare 10.0.12 for OS X cannot emulate a keyboard, and mouse emulation cannot be changed from the default (tilt/roll moves the mouse cursor, spin acts like a mouse wheel).

v10.2.1 can emulate a keyboard but it loses all mouse emulation.

This is a little frustrating.
piolin

Post by piolin »

Hi I'm new and also will like to know if I can, at least, use the device as a mouse for unsupported softwares
So.. is this device just to exercise my other hand making things a bit more efficient?
3DxWare 10.2.2 :x
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi piolin,

you can either adapt the configuration of "Any Application" for your needs or create a configuration for each application.

If you adapt the "Any Application" profile the changes will apply for each application where no configuration exists.
If you create a profile for the application where you want to use the 3D mouse you can adapt the axes more precisely for your needs. To create a profile for an application go to "System Preferences -> 3Dconnexion -> Configure -> Add Application ..." and select the application that you want to add. Then go to "Axes" and make the settings you want.
HenrikJ

Post by HenrikJ »

It bugs me that simulated mouse scrolling isn't smooth. I.e. scroll a page in Safari. It's more like simulating the up/down keys.
aakside

Post by aakside »

HenrikJ wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:51 pm It bugs me that simulated mouse scrolling isn't smooth. I.e. scroll a page in Safari. It's more like simulating the up/down keys.
Is this still the case?