Driver acts as a phantom joystick/gamepad

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

OlaHaldor

Driver acts as a phantom joystick/gamepad

Post by OlaHaldor »

I'm a home user, so I use the same computer for work as well as some games. However, there are a couple of games where using a gamepad completely shuts out the use of mouse and keyboard, which is a huge problem.
Why is this a problem? Because the latest drivers (v10) makes it look as if there's a joystick or gamepad installed - and the game picks up on this.

It doesn't matter if I disconnect the SpaceNavigator or not - the game sees this phantom device, and won't let me use either mouse or keyboard.

Is there a way to disable the unit temporarily? So far I've had to uninstall, and then install when I want to use the SpaceNavigator again.
Fred

Re: Driver acts as a phantom joystick/gamepad

Post by Fred »

Have you gone to Start>All Programs>3DConnexion>Driver>Stop driver.
You can drag or place a copy of the stop and start on your desktop.
This should stop all the processes from running and you wont have to uninstall the driver.

The New driver is based on the Beta driver which has the ability to be recognized as a joystick emulator.
OlaHaldor

Post by OlaHaldor »

I didn't know there was such an option. I'm on Windows 8, so there's no start menu for me to follow those steps. I guess it's possible to create a shortcut on the Metro "start page" to deal with it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Go to the Start Screen. If you are on the Desktop then press the Windows key on your keyboard to go to the Start screen.

On the Start Screen right click on a vacant part - anywhere between the icons for example. A taskbar will now appear at the bottom of the Start screen window. Look to the right and you will see an 'All Apps' icon. Click on this to see all the apps on your PC.
OlaHaldor

Post by OlaHaldor »

Thanks. Found it. For your future reference, with Windows 8.1 (don't recall how it's in 8.0) you have a down pointing arrow in a circle to the lower left which will "show all apps". Right clicking will only give you the option to "name groups".
Fred

Post by Fred »

thanks for the info i just did a simple search and now looking in deeper it appears to have different outcomes for different variations of Win 8.
Just what every tech needs is more confusions :)
OlaHaldor

Post by OlaHaldor »

Mkay.. Stopping driver doesn't help on the problem.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'll im one of the programmers to respond back at this time, i dont have the driver installed.
It may be due to the Built in keyboard emulator, i would have assumed if the driver was stopped the emulator would as well if not it must be in the processes and continues to run after the driver is stopped.

A temp solution would be to remove the current driver and install the previous 3.18.2 driver.
If you check under show legacy drivers
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can disable/uninstall just the joystick emulator in the Device Manager. You don't need to uninstall the entire driver.
jesperskoog

Post by jesperskoog »

jwick wrote:You can disable/uninstall just the joystick emulator in the Device Manager. You don't need to uninstall the entire driver.
I can't find this setting in the device manager. What should I look for?
micropuller

Post by micropuller »

I'd also like to know how to deactivate the emulator.
I've been working with some showcontrol hardware, which can be programmed using special software and a joystick.
When the 3Dconnexion drivers are installed and the emulator is visible in device manager, I can't use the programming-function, because the emulator seems to override my joystick.
I can see the emulator in the list of human interface devices, but when I rightclick on it, there's no option to disable it.
I have to completely remove the 3Dconnexion software to get my programming software to work correctly.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi micropuller,

you might have to login as administrator?
plowing

Post by plowing »

I have this problem as well.

Turning off the driver in the start menu doesn't work and the option to disable KMJ is greyed out and not available.

Running Windows 7 64 Bit.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

jwick wrote:You can disable/uninstall just the joystick emulator in the Device Manager. You don't need to uninstall the entire driver.
can you do that on your computer? I've never managed to do this. Neither in Win 7 nor in Win 8.0/8.1. Logged in as administrator.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise
isbelldl

Post by isbelldl »

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I'm running into the same issue with a SpaceMouse Wireless in DosBox. It sees the SpaceMouse as the first joystick even when it's unplugged (receiver also removed). Uninstalling is the only solution I've found so far, but if I have to reinstall every time I use it, I'll just never use it again. I'm trying the older drivers, though I'm not even sure if the wireless is supported. Maybe that'll do the trick, but it's not ideal.