Where is the profile manager?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

zhollett

Where is the profile manager?

Post by zhollett »

I must humbly apologize in advance for this, but I'm so frustrated right now, with myself.

I cannot find the profile manager.

I have 3dxWare10 installed on a Windows 8 machine, with a Space Navigator.

I searched google and because most people just know where it is, they talk about it... not how to access it.

I want to change my axis from the normal PTZ-Pan stuff to emulate keyboard button presses.

But when I click on 3D Mouse Home, I see Trainer, Manual, Properties, Viewer, Collage, Puzzle, and Registration.
The properties section allows me to turn on and off individual axis, but not configure them for a new assignment.

Please, help :(

I'm looking for the screen in this picture
UtaSH

Re: Where is the profile manager?

Post by UtaSH »

Hello zhollett,

the window from your picture is from a beta version of our driver. The release driver doesn't have this options. The beta driver isn't available anymore.
zhollett

Post by zhollett »

Well, at least I'm not going crazy, thanks for the prompt response.

Any particular reason for that user screen being taken away?

Curious as to how someone such as myself would modify the settings for axis to emulate a keyboard function?

Sad that its gone... any chance its coming back?

Thanks for your help
farmor

Post by farmor »

Since everyone working for 3Dconnexion seem to be busy making their drivers less useful for their customers, I found a way to get that profile manager screen back today!

1: Uninstall the less-than-useful driver version you are using at the moment.
2: Download the 3DxWare 10 Beta 64-bit-driver here: http://www.3dconnexion.eu/supported-sof ... c875c0b7e4
3: Install the driver.
4: Open the 3DxConfigGUI and you'll find the profile manager

My guess is that they had a developer that added that screen, but then that developer got fed up with the incompetence from everyone else working there, and quit. The next day some other developer removed the profile manager because it seemed like it would take a lot of work to make it user friendly... The same developer then went to this forum and started preaching that a much better way of managing profiles would be to use Notepad to edit .xml files.
simonplatts

Post by simonplatts »

Hello,

Is there any plans to re-introduce this capability (to programme the drivers to function with unsupported software?).

I bought my Space Navigator for use with Cockos' Reaper Digital Audio Workshop (both navigation around the track view, with a separate profile for use as a multi axis midi controller).

Previously I have had trouble getting the axis' to programme to button presses (causing the profile manager to crash on save) so was limited to joystick or mouse wheel operations. When I saw updates coming out, I was eager to see if this problem had been fixed, but was very frustrated to see the profile manager withdrawn (therefore unable to update).

Best Regards,
Unreal.2K7

Post by Unreal.2K7 »

Hello everyone,

i wish this feature was reintroduced. Editing xml files is very user-unfriendly. Which means that, yes, it can be done, but it's adding another layer of problems that i struggle to deal with. And the worst is that i know there was already an interface in place for this! Can you please reintroduce that? Even if it used to crash sometimes. It's better than trying to do things manually without really understanding if it's working or not.

The old beta version link in the previous messages doesn't work anymore, too. Until this is sorted out, is there anyone out there which can provide a link for the beta driver? I know that the final release addressed some bugs, but i would rather deal with them but be able to map my keys than not being able to use the device at all.
This device is uncommon enough that for the most part its usability depends on how flexibly the driver can adapt to various software that doesn't support the device natively.

Thank you for your understanding.
Piero
Schoening

Post by Schoening »

Hallo

Download the 3DxWare 10 Beta 64-bit-driver here:

http://www.3dconnexion.de/supported-sof ... c875c0b7e4
Schoening

Post by Schoening »

Schoening wrote:Hallo

Download the 3DxWare 10 Beta 64-bit-driver here:

http://www.3dconnexion.de/supported-sof ... c875c0b7e4
You have do Copy - Past the whole link.
_Dominik_

Post by _Dominik_ »

Hey Piero, try this link, so the url doesn't get fragmented: http://tinyurl.com/pckd6vf

Guys at 3dConnexion: please read an understand. Your driver updates are often troubled. Profiles got lost or where damaged or the driver is crashing (or not even starting) due to "incompatible" XML files. When introducing new features/nodes/values to the xml files, your software must not rely on this new features. If there's missing something in the profiles, default values should be used. It's not a solution to show a message (like) "sorry, something got wrong" and exiting. Additionally there should be a profile updater to update older profiles to the current specs (as a separate program or somewhere in the settings, NOT as part of the installation routine).

Creating a profile and optimizing to perfection is a long process, often lasting many hours. Per profile! Telling the users to recreate profiles from scratch is the worst case. We bought a 3d mouse not to rebuild profiles every third update.

Creating/modifying profiles in an editor would be much easier if there would be a complete documentation about structure/nodes/values of your xml files available. Even third party tools to create profiles would be possible. Pointing to existing profiles, telling the user to use this as examples is a shame. We bought a 3d mouse not to spend days on trial and error.

Another thing: this is a forum, not online banking or any other high security application. There's not need to set the session timeout to a tiny value. We bought a 3d mouse not to spend our time in your forum with retyping our posts solely because on submitting a re-login was necessary and all the text got lost. Sorry, but it seems that your webmaster is not the brightest bulb in the box.
Unreal.2K7

Post by Unreal.2K7 »

Schoening, _Dominik_: thank you for the help! =)
imagicalFantasy

Post by imagicalFantasy »

Hi, I also searching to fin this version of the driver, I search all arround the Internet and I'm not able to find it... :(
Also the link in the following thread won't seem working now...

Anybody have a copy of the beta driver ?

I really want to get it to be able to use my 3D mouse as I want to use it :(

Maybe you should send me a copy of the driver using wetransfer ?

Thank you for the help
Amoxi

Post by Amoxi »

I have a copy of beta driver with profile manager, just tested it on Win10/64, finally it is working, after hours of attempts to uninstall more recent copies.
I'm not sure if it's fine to publish links here, so please contact me if you need a copy.
Amoxi

Post by Amoxi »

mbartlett21 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:20 pm
Hi! Alas, it turned out that I, as a newcomer, was disabled from writing private messages. Therefore, I am posting the answer here:
3DxWare64SPP_v10-0-11_r1165
gofile.me/6LTb9/Kg1EuEqob