Help with autodesk and windows programs

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Nofe92

Help with autodesk and windows programs

Post by Nofe92 »

Hi guys,
I'm having issues with every autodesk programs when i try to use my 3d mouse (3dsmax, maya, motionbuilder and mudbox). Even though it's detected it acts incorrectly. Seems like just the "forward zoom axis" is working in every plugin.
I tried it with the puzzle demo and it works just fine. I have the latest version of the drivers. Any idea?
And speaking of drivers, why aren't the new ones capable of binding keyboard keys? I used to use them with various application and I might need them soon again, am I missing something?
Thanks for your time!
UtaSH

Re: Help with autodesk and windows programs

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Nofe92,

please try this FAQ. These are instructions how to delete existing settings. It could be that you have configuration files that got messed up for any reason.

The latest driver mean 3DxWare 10.1.4, right?

Please check our help file for instruction about how to map a keyboard command to a button of the 3D mouse. You can open the help file from the 3Dconnexion properties - there is a link below the "buttons" button.

Let me know if this helps.
steevee

Post by steevee »

Hi, by any chance are you using an "older" 3D Connexion device with the newest drivers?

I just wasted a month working out that my USB space explorer is totally not compatible with the newest drivers and causes MAX to behave crazy. Cant click on things, moving things is a nightmare. I dont know if this is the case with other apps, but i cant believe that they let this happen.
Apparently using the latest drivers with an "unsupported" older device is a no-no. But they should be detecting this, and have much better advice not to do it.
Another case of driver issues with 3Dc again.
You can tell i'm angry.
Dunno if this helps you.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi steevee,

the SpaceExplorer USB is still supported and should work fine with the latest driver.

Which version of the driver do you have installed?
Which version of 3dsmax are you using?
Since you connected the device have you done a reboot of your machine?
Does the device navigate correctly in the 3Dconnexion Viewer (3D Mouse Home -> Viewer)?
Nofe92

Post by Nofe92 »

UtaSH wrote:Hi steevee,

the SpaceExplorer USB is still supported and should work fine with the latest driver.

Which version of the driver do you have installed?
Which version of 3dsmax are you using?
Since you connected the device have you done a reboot of your machine?
Does the device navigate correctly in the 3Dconnexion Viewer (3D Mouse Home -> Viewer)?
Hi!
I will try to delete the settings as soon as I get home but just to add details:
-driver version is 10.1.4 and I think it's the first model of the spacenavigator
-autodesk programs are 2014 version
-yes, I always reboot (been having this issue for months)
-I will test the viewer but I'm sure the puzzle game works just fine on every axes (so no hardware issue here)

Oh and btw, why isnt there an option to bind keyboard's keys to the 3d mouse like in the old beta drivers? That was really useful!
I will update the post tonight with additional details
steevee

Post by steevee »

Hi, i have the newest drivers [3D X Ware 10 version 10.1.4]
I installed a new PC about a month ago, Clean version of MAX 2014 64bit,
I have a space explorer USB device. It worked fine before on the older machine [with older drivers].
It's taken a month to work out that the new drivers have totally messed up interaction with MAX 2014, I put in every service pack, and tried everthing until I unplugged the 3D device.
Ive been using this for years now, and the only issues i have had tbh are with these drivers. I have a long post on the issues. Someone came back to me with a comment that the older devices are not supported by the new drivers, and i tend to agree. If they dont, you are not clear on this.
The issues i had with MAX made it unfit to use the device. I could not select things, or reliably move things.
But these drivers are not compatible with this device. I will be rolling back to the older version. The ones recommended by the drivers section.
You guys have a bad history with making drivers that work, you really do.
If there supposed to be supporting the older devices, then you really need to work on your testing protocols.
Steve
steevee

Post by steevee »

Hi Nofe92, take my advice if you have an older device.
Remove the new drivers totally.
Use the driver download finder, to get the drivers that it recommends to use for your device. These should not be the latest version.
Install them and tell me what happens.
The new drivers [no matter what they say] do not support older devices without serious issues in apps like MAX 2014. Things become unusable.
I would like to know if it works!
Nofe92

Post by Nofe92 »

steevee wrote:Hi Nofe92, take my advice if you have an older device.
Remove the new drivers totally.
Use the driver download finder, to get the drivers that it recommends to use for your device. These should not be the latest version.
Install them and tell me what happens.
The new drivers [no matter what they say] do not support older devices without serious issues in apps like MAX 2014. Things become unusable.
I would like to know if it works!
I will test old drivers and all the other solutions tonight. Thanks for your advice as well
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hello Uta,

"The early SpaceMouse Wireless driver worked successfully, until an update to the driver."

Some older Devices wouldnt get detected at all and the ones that did had speradic movement.
The device firmware were no longer within range to update to the newer firmware. I think the devices were aproximately 4-6 years old
The workaround solution we gave them was to go back to the 3DxSoftware driver instead.

If you have the 3Dxsoftware driver installed. Open the 3Dcontrol panel click on Help and about.
If you have the new driver It should be visible when you open the control panel
Write down the firmware version call customer support and see if the firmware can be updated.
Nofe92

Post by Nofe92 »

Ok, so that settings reset worked just fine for maya and 3dsmax. Mudbox's camera moves way to fast but I suppose I can just reduce the speed from the option panel (didn't have time to try that yet).
Now my last question is: what about that driver with the keyboard's keys bindings? Why doesn't this version have that option?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Nofe92 wrote:Now my last question is: what about that driver with the keyboard's keys bindings?
Are you talking about the beta version? That was a beta :) and we did not take all features into the release version. Sorry.
Nofe92

Post by Nofe92 »

UtaSH wrote:
Nofe92 wrote:Now my last question is: what about that driver with the keyboard's keys bindings?
Are you talking about the beta version? That was a beta :) and we did not take all features into the release version. Sorry.
Shame, I really liked the bindings thing.
Does the last version of the beta have that feature? I might go back to that