TinkerCad and OmeagaCad

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

AF422

TinkerCad and OmeagaCad

Post by AF422 »

Hello,
I just bought a Space Navigator to use for cad design. I am in school to become a Certified Orthotist and Prosthetist and two programs we use a lot are tinkercad for 3d printing and OmegaCad to help design models for us to build devices. I love the mouse for Maya which I design in my free time but not being able to use it for Tinkercad and OmegaCad was a little disappointing. I was wondering if there are any developers that would want to work on developing software so Space Navigator can be used for those programs. Tinkercad is a bigger priority for me at the moment and it would be cool to see software be developed for these programs to help in this growing field. Hopefully somebody is willing to help out.

Thank you
Fred

Re: TinkerCad and OmeagaCad

Post by Fred »

Adding 3D device support to an application is determined by the application developer rather than by 3Dconnexion.
We advise our customers to contact the Customer Service of applications that are lacking support and request it be added in future versions of their software. The decision to include 3D support in their development schedule is often influenced by the level of customer interest.

I believe TinkerCad is made by Autodesk try sending an email to team@tinkercad.com Let them know of your interest in using our product in the application like it does in Maya.
Is Omega Soft Ltd. the company that makes OmegaCAD?
If so let them know as well.
We'll also send them a letter. The more people who contact the vendor the better chance they'll add support.
Let them know we offer an SDK as well for their programmers
http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/soft ... loper.html
AF422

Post by AF422 »

Thank you very much for the fast response, I have emailed Tinkercad and I am just waiting on a response. For Omegacad I am still checking out how to get in contact with them, I have ask my clinical director if he knows how to contact them. Once I figure that out, I will email them soon

Alec
Fred

Post by Fred »

Try the main webpage and look for a contact us.
Reflector30

Post by Reflector30 »

I stumbled upon this post tonight and am wondering if this project is still happening. Prosthetics and Orthotics has been in my family for over 60 years. I'm familiar with OmegaCad and am currently a full stack web developer. I'd love to contribute to this project if it is still happening. Please feel free to contact me.
arpruss

Post by arpruss »

In case anybody is interested, I am working on unofficial TinkerCad support by hooking into the TinkerCad js code.
arpruss

Post by arpruss »

My proof-of-concept Tinkercad support is currently pretty clunky to activate, and it only rotates the view and doesn't move parts. It probably only works with Chrome.

Here's how to try it.

Go to Tinkercad and edit something.
In another tab, go to: https://gist.github.com/arpruss/21ecdf5 ... 3eafd2d3b1
Copy the contents of the gist to the clipboard.
Open up Chrome's MENU | More tools... | Developer tools.
In the console line, paste the contents of the gist.
Press some buttons on your spacemouse.
Then type tinkerCADPatch.init() and press enter.
You can close the developer console.
arpruss

Post by arpruss »

I now turned this into a Chrome extension. I am not sure I want to pay the $5 for the Chrome web store registration, so currently it's just on github: https://github.com/arpruss/spacemouse-tinkercad

Download the zip file from the Clone or Download button.
Unzip the zip file to a new folder.
In Chrome: menu | more tools | extensions
Turn on developer mode.
Add unpacked extension, using the folder you unzipped to.

There is, alas, a pretty good chance it won't work for you. I've tested this with my SpaceBall 4000 which is emulating a SpaceMouse Pro.
LeifB

Post by LeifB »

This is great!

I was the originator of the feature request on the TinkerCad forums (Schema), would gladly cover the $5 plus some extra for beer :wink: PM me your info if you like!
arpruss

Post by arpruss »

Thanks! That's very kind. I should say that I have no guarantee it will work for a very long time. It interfaces with the internals of tinkercad, so when a new tinkercad version comes out, it may fail.
ljbrackney

Post by ljbrackney »

This is fantastic! Thanks so much! :D

Now if only I could get the space mouse to work in ZBrush I'd be in heaven!
arpruss

Post by arpruss »

arpruss

Post by arpruss »

ljbrackney wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:16 pm This is fantastic! Thanks so much! :D

Now if only I could get the space mouse to work in ZBrush I'd be in heaven!
I looked at the ZBrush plugin docs, and the plugin interface doesn't seem sophisticated enough to allow one to write one's own driver.

BTW, I've added a lot of features to the TinkerCAD driver. Go to the extension's options to see.
ljbrackney

Post by ljbrackney »

arpruss wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm I looked at the ZBrush plugin docs, and the plugin interface doesn't seem sophisticated enough to allow one to write one's own driver.

BTW, I've added a lot of features to the TinkerCAD driver. Go to the extension's options to see.
Thanks for adding your Chrome plugin to the store. It's really awesome, and the extra options are great!

Really bummed about the Zbrush plugin SDK. I'd just be delighted to have pan and zoom work with the device since I have the most difficulty with those operations using modifiers and my wacom pad - if your timing on releasing the modifier key is off even a little it can screw up your view. I've got an idea involving hotkey bindings to the pan and zoom buttons that I may try.
arpruss

Post by arpruss »

I suppose one could just bind the SpaceMouse to generate pan and zoom keystrokes. It won't be smooth, but it'll be better than nothing.

Zbrush looks like it's free for noncommercial use now, so I downloaded it and I'll see if I can figure out something.