Need a copy of 3DxWare 10 Beta 16 for Windows 64-bit

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinL

Need a copy of 3DxWare 10 Beta 16 for Windows 64-bit

Post by MartinL »

Could someone please post or link to the 3DXWare 10 beta release (3DxWare64SPP_v10-0-16_r1544.exe), as this has now been removed from the website.

I have been trying to set up joystick emulation using the official release and manually editing XML profile files but no success at all.
Fred

Re: Need a copy of 3DxWare 10 Beta 16 for Windows 64-bit

Post by Fred »

You can try these instructions here.

The official release of 3Dconnexion's 3DxWare 10 for Windows was published on May 16, 2014 for all current device types.
Customers are asked to download the latest available version from the 3Dconnexion's web site driver download page.
We are very grateful to all our customers that went out of their way to provide us with bug reports, suggestions and comments.

Thank you.

The 3Dx Engineering Team
MartinL

Post by MartinL »

I have tried those instructions but without any success.

It might help if I had any idea when the driver looks at the Cfg files. On startup only? Every few minutes? Every time it detects a focus change?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi MartinL -

This forum thread has examples of editing an .XML profile to change a function that already exists in this version - swapping axis directions - so would be an easier place to start.

Once you are comfortable with the general way the .XML profiles work you can move on to editing to add a function like joystick emulation.

When you make a change in the GUI, 3DxWare writes whatever has been changed from default settings into an .XML file in your AppData path [C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg]. When a different 3Dmouse-aware application takes over the Windows focus, 3DxWare loads the profile for it. It checks your AppData path for a custom profile. If there is not a custom .XML for it in AppData, the default profile for the application is loaded from C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg.

Test a simple change like reversing the X axis direction for the Jet demo [Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, Demo- Jet Demo]. Do it in the GUI then view the .XML. The lines for reversed X axis will look like this in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\jet.xml
<Output>
<ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID>
<Reversed>True</Reversed>
</Output>
</Axis>

Change it back in the .XML by changing True to False [ <Reversed>False</Reversed> ] and save the file. Look back at the GUI and you will see that your change removed the check mark from the 'Reverse' box.

When you work with an application that does not already have a profile [adding <ExecutableName>YourAppName.EXE</ExecutableName>] the first thing to check is that the profile is loading when your application has the Windows focus. Hovering your 2D mouse over the 3DxWare icon in the System Tray shows the .XML name.
-------------
Barbara
MartinL

Post by MartinL »

Hi Barbara,

I can change settings in existing profiles as you describe. It is still not recognising any new profiles that I create (the tray icon only shows the last existing application/profile that had the focus). Any further clues?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi Martin -

Are you starting with one of the templates mentioned here ?

A 3D mouse profile will not work with an application that isn't 3Dmouse-aware. The template needs to be for an input type the application accepts like joystick or keyboard.

When you change AppCfgTemplate to AppCfg and add your ExecutableName, the profile should be able to load when your app has the focus.

---------
Barbara
MartinL

Post by MartinL »

Hi Barbara,

I have worked it out now. I was starting with the joystick template, had changed AppCfgTemplate to AppCfg and set the ExecutableName. The problem was that I had omitted to change the closing tag at the end of the file from </AppCfgTemplate> to </AppCfg>, so the XML was failing to parse.

I had already turned on logging and had been looking at the 3DxService.log, which showed the focus changes being detected, but gave no hint of the parse error. Eventually I spotted that there was also a 3DxSmartUI.log which revealed what was going on.

Please put a UI for setting up new profiles back into 3DxWare in future. I've got what I wanted and can use the XML directly now, but most users would have had no hope of figuring all this out.

Martin