Star Citizen

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Goyo

Star Citizen

Post by Goyo »

Hello, I am really excited about your product. The SpaceMouse Pro. I have pretty bad carpal tunnel pain in my left hand from typing and WASD gaming.

A game I am excited about is Star Citizen (largest crowd funded title in history that just surpassed $38 million).

From briefly perusing your forums it seems that others have had success using your products as left hand gaming devices while simultanously using a right hand mouse. Are there any plans to ensure this product works with Star Citizen/Squadron 42?
UtaSH

Re: Star Citizen

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Goyo,

Star Citizen is not currently included in the list of programs that provide support for our devices.

In order to use it with 3Dconnexion devices, support for 3D devices would need to be added inside their software.

Adding 3D device support to an application is determined by the application developer rather than by 3Dconnexion. We have an SDK [Development Kit] which any software developer can download at no cost and which allows the integration of 3D device support in proprietary software. Please see here for more details.

We advise our customers to contact the Customer Service of applications that are lacking support and request it be added in future versions of their software. The decision to include 3D support in their development schedule is often influenced by the level of customer interest.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

Star Citizen is only in the very early stages of developement.
Now is the time for the community to prod the developers to incorporate 3DMouse support into the base code.

This is not a case where 3DConnexion needs to make a plugin...
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen is based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine ... eration.29
"this new engine bears almost no similarity to previous CryEngine versions"

So I'm not sure Cry3 (editor only) support would apply viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7348

Perhaps Cryengine4 has RawInput or DirectInput, both of which are supported by 3DMice and use all 6axis. Or 3DX's own API using TDxInput.dll.
In the past it seems Cryengines have supported the 5axis Xinput http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDO ... erGestures
(4axis thumbsticks + 1 axis split into 2 1byte-triggers = 5axis)
stuii

Post by stuii »

has anyone from 3dconnexion reached out to the star citizen dev team?
Fred

Post by Fred »

As previously stated:

"In order to use it with 3Dconnexion devices, support for 3D devices would need to be added inside their software.

Adding 3D device support to an application is determined by the application developer rather than by 3Dconnexion. We have an SDK [Development Kit] which any software developer can download at no cost and which allows the integration of 3D device support in proprietary software. Please see here for more details.

We advise our customers to contact the Customer Service of applications that are lacking support and request it be added in future versions of their software. The decision to include 3D support in their development schedule is often influenced by the level of customer interest.
Vizhonary

Post by Vizhonary »

Wow.. So that is your bottled answer to requests to increase the range of uses for your product... Guess I won't be buying anymore because your PR and Support stink.

Also, your right hand doesn't know what your left hand is doing, obviously, because there are whole forum threads on the Star Citizen Forums from folks claiming to be coders from your company trying to talk the guys at Cloud Imperium Games to integrate support for it, not that they are getting far with just 1 rep and a handful of us users that want to play with a 3d Mouse around.. and you will never be a BIG name in computing if you only have a half dozen very niche specific applications that support your product and you won't program a Direct X compatible driver for it, that can actually do 6 axis of tracking and all the buttons in a joystick/gamepad readable format, and not doing that is totally on your shoulders.

I have one of your mouses that I got in hopes that it would be usable in games where it would be a perfect controller but to date, it's not.. If Star Citizen comes out and it won't work with your controller, I can promise you, you will never see my business again.

PS: If you guys won't get off your backsides and make the controllers compatible with more applications or games in general, which it is not cause the only driver that emulates other controllers out there can only track 2 axis at a time, those of us coming to you demanding it will go to other companies, like Logitech and beg them to get into the 3d joystick game and when they do, you guys will be a has been with competition that does it much better, cheaper and more broadly compatible than you will.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

Vizhonary wrote:PS: If you guys won't get off your backsides and make the controllers compatible with more applications or games in general, which it is not cause the only driver that emulates other controllers out there can only track 2 axis at a time, those of us coming to you demanding it will go to other companies, like Logitech and beg them to get into the 3d joystick game and when they do, you guys will be a has been with competition that does it much better, cheaper and more broadly compatible than you will.
Someone needs to read up on Logitech/3Dconnexion history...

3dconnexion seems content with their niche market, making high-end controllers for professional/industrial grade software, and it is not surprising.
They have already dabbled in the gaming sector with the SpaceOrb and the Cyberman2, both of which ended up as niche gaming devices.
I doubt there is much call in the gaming community today, for a $100+ joystick, when there are so many gaming sticks already on the market for 25-50% that price. It really comes down to the devs at StarCitizen, and whether they think it is worth their time and money to add support for a niche product.

Personally, I dont see how the current crop of spacemice would stand up to the cranking and slamming of gaming. They are very delicate compared to flight sticks, and designed for tiny precise movements.

--Teh
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
jwick

Post by jwick »

You probably won't break the current crop of devices in a game (German engineering you know). There are hard stops, unlike the SpaceOrb and even worse the Spaceball Avenger.

OTOH, it doesn't move much, so it doesn't provide much feedback, and you will quickly reach the end of its physical displacement in the high twitch environment of a game. A proper game device would require heavier springs, better access to buttons and probably some more analog controls (like a throttle).
RichardW

Post by RichardW »

It works in Star Citizen, some fideling needed:

1st variant: using vJoy, kind of a joystick emulator for windows
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.c ... -script/p1
I didnt test this, some users there got the SpaceNavigator to work in SC.

2nd variant: using 3DxWare64SPP_v10-0-15_r1321
setting up pitch, roll, yaw with joystick option on axis worked fine for me with the SpaceExplorer. Also button assigned to axis worked (for example in decoupled mode the strafe left/right with q and e key). With the latest drivers you dont have joystick setup expect you edit XML file manual. In StarCitizen you need to do nothing. When the axis of SpaceExplorer is set to joystick it worked automatically for me in Arena Commander. I will do some further testing and give more details if needed.
stuii

Post by stuii »

RichardW wrote:It works in Star Citizen, some fideling needed:
I will do some further testing and give more details if needed.
Please do - I'd treasure a proper write-up!
Schamzee

Post by Schamzee »

When the axis of SpaceExplorer is set to joystick it worked automatically for me in Arena Commander.
RichardW,

interesting, I've just got my hands on a borrowed older SpacePilot and I'm very interested in using a similar device do control Ships in Star Citizen or other 6+DOF space sims

My planned setup is a Hotas X55 scrap the throttle and replace with Spacemouse Pro, pedals for throttle.

however I'm pretty new to the 3D mouse thing, and thats just that its supposed to be a mouse... ich... Joy.cpl (windows run) finds the device as an emulated joystick, shows the axies but it does not function as a joustick hence no analog absolute stick output.

I read your post about setting the device as joystick. is this possible then it would solve all my needs.
Else I need to get this to work using Virtual joystick emulation or similar. however I did not get vJoy properly installed I guess, I cant seem to find where I bind the functions of the Spacemouse to the virtual Joystic,

but bottom line the best solution would be if the Spacemouse ie. all 3Dconnexion devices could be set to be Joysticks, special driver software or selectable somehow.

looking forward to a future using 3D mice

If anyone out there could direct me to resources on getting real joystick function I would much appreciate it.

/Schamzee
Pendali

Post by Pendali »

The best method for using SN and such with SC, Is with the Sx2vJoy method. Using the Raw 10 bit input.
3DxWare method just gives very crappy range of input.
oli1

Post by oli1 »

I got a spacepilot pro just for star citizen.

It surely is a pain to set it up for the game. If only 3dconnexion would make a better driver...
oli1

Post by oli1 »

Pendali wrote:The best method for using SN and such with SC, Is with the Sx2vJoy method. Using the Raw 10 bit input.
3DxWare method just gives very crappy range of input.

this is not working in win 10 x64, maybe in x32