Mac Rhino and Spacemouse Pro

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

campacker

Mac Rhino and Spacemouse Pro

Post by campacker »

I just bought a Spacemouse Pro and was expecting to use it with my copy of rhino. (Mac Beta) The action is slow and choppy and I am unable to rotate it at least in parallel mode. tilting also does not work. Additionally the buttons controlling the view port do nothing and there are no clear setting for the program to attempt to fix this. The drivers claim to be up to date. So I am not sure where to turn. can this be fixed or do i need to wait until I can bootcamp and go into windows mode? should I have went with the lower model? any help would be appreciated.
Barbara

Re: Mac Rhino and Spacemouse Pro

Post by Barbara »

Hello campacker -

Rhino turns the Roll axis off by default with its 'Lock Horizon' option to keep the ground plane from moving. Un-check 'Lock Horizon' to enable the Roll axis.

Open 3DConnexion Properties in System Preferences and select Configure - Rhinocerous to open the Rhino profile. On the Device tab click Use Defaults. This maps the Menu button to Application Use so that it can open Rhino's pop-up menu with the 'Lock Horizon' option as well as Camera and Helicopter modes.

In Rhino Options - 3Dconnexion Buttons [ inside Rhino] a button should be mapped to !_SpaceMouse Popup_Menu

The SpaceMouse Pro and the Space Navigator use the same Mac driver and navigation is the same for both devices - the difference is in the number of buttons available. Rhino docs mention that they have added support for the Space Navigator in their Mac version - that should allow navigation with the SpaceMouse Pro as well. McNeel technical support is the authority in this area since the navigation is written inside their software. Rhino uses the basic 3Dconnexion device driver - all of the functions are part of Rhino. Hold down Shift and Ctrl to allow the SpaceMouse Pro to rotate in Parallel Views.
--------------
Barbara
campacker

Post by campacker »

Thank your for getting back to me so quickly.

I am not sure where to find the lock horizon option.I did find the 3/Dconnection in rhino preferences and there was an option for rotate plan parallel views I turned it on and then I was able to rotate and tilt. Is this the same as what you were talking about?

I did what you said to try to map the menu button but under device it only controls the speed and cap dominate option. Under the Buttons menu is a Button menu configuration option which after using defaults it selects Button menu, fit, T, R, F, Roll CW to 3d Mouse default. Using the menu button in rhino like this nothing happens. I tried mapping show popup menu which then calls up a small window in rhino with (show driver preferences, rotations on/off, pan on/off, toggle dominate filter) if i click on show driver preferences it is the window that is opened under the apps not the window from "rhino preferences". this is not the lock horizon or camera/ helicopter codes.

I was able to assign some viewing modes to three of the buttons. It shows under rhino preferences that there are 8 commands I can program. 3,5,6 were top, right, front respectively, but now when I click a button it no longer highlights which one so I can map it inside rhino. Additionally I am unable to get any of the buttons to select perspective view, even if I put perspective in all of the other spots. I have no clue what to use Fit, cap rotate(in the middle) or the scree rotate (top left)(desired to be perspective) for. If you have suggestions for button mapping that will set me up for efficient workflow would be appreciated as well. As I am a student so I am still trying to discover the most efficient workflow.

Thank you again for all of your help with this.
anomalous

Post by anomalous »

Hi,

I'm also a user of Rhino 5 under both OSX and WIndows.

I followed the instructions posted here for setting up Rhino to use the Spacemouse Pro, and the basic functionality seems to work, but I cannot get the spacemouse popup menu to work - and hence cant access things like 'helicopter mode'.

the issue seems to be the command that is mapped to the menu button: !_SpaceMouse Popup_Menu

Rhino 5 (latest version) on the mac reports this as an unknown command:

Command: _SpaceMouse
Unknown command: _SpaceMouse

any suggestions?

thanks

Ben
anomalous

Post by anomalous »

I should also say that of all the buttons defined in systempresf->3dconnexion->buttons under configure: Rhino as '3D Mouse Default", such as FIT, T,R,F and 1,2,3,4 do not appear to be able to be assigned to in Rhino. however, for some reason, the 'menu' button is.
kitschpatrol

Post by kitschpatrol »

Still can't find helicopter mode in Rhino Mac 5.1. Makes the SpaceMouse basically unusable for navigating architecture. Does anyone have an update on this?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

You need to address this with McNeel.
kitschpatrol

Post by kitschpatrol »

Thanks UtaSH, I do have a thread going with McNeel Here: http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/helicopte ... ator/25790

They mention that 3Dconnexion developed the plugin for Rhino 5 for Windows, so I wanted to see if there were plans to port the work over.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi kitschpatrol,

thanks for being a voice for a more valuable implementation of the 3D mouse in Rhino on Mac. :D :D
kitschpatrol

Post by kitschpatrol »

Thanks.

FYI McNeel puts the ball in your court:
At this point, developing a (new) 3DConnexion plugin is up to 3DConnexion. We will do everything we can to support their efforts.
http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/helicopte ... tschpatrol

If this is a show-stopped for anyone else, you can get something approximating helicopter mode in Rhino for Mac by modifying the axis mappings as shown blow. This still isn't quite perfect, but it's less maddening for the helicopter-accustomed than the defaults:
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi kitschcontrol,

we did the plugin for Rhino on Windows. And now we have to get some free resources to do the same for Mac.
Ivin

Post by Ivin »

Has this been resolved?
drone

Post by drone »

Hi Uta,

any progress after 3 more months with this?

thx
UtaSH wrote:Hi kitschcontrol,

we did the plugin for Rhino on Windows. And now we have to get some free resources to do the same for Mac.
tmixer

Post by tmixer »

Greetings. I've just updated to Rhino 6 commercial and am enjoying on the mac now - however the spacemouse has an undesired reverse of direction that occurs when you tilt under the cplane while twisting or rotating an object at the same time. Several others have noticed this too and we are really hoping it gets some attention. I absolutely love the both Rhino and the 3d mouse and would appreciate some attention here. It's so frustrating when support request get overlooked. I'm sure this is any easy tweak for one of you wizards. ;)

Thank you
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

this is a very weird situation. We have tested this on our end, but we do not see anything wrong with the navigation. Directions are as they should be. :(