Change window in Pro/E Wildfire - slower than before

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

JockeR

Change window in Pro/E Wildfire - slower than before

Post by JockeR »

Hi,
With the latest drivers (3.0.7) for SpacePilot, changing window in Pro/Engineer Wildfire 2 is extremly slow. If you look at the Task Manager when changing model-window in Pro/E, the process 3dxsrv.exe jumps up to nearly 100% CPU usage. It takes between 5-10 seconds before the model in the new window is ready to be used after switching windows.

Regards,
Joakim Ranki, GE Healthcare
Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire2 - user & administrator
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi JockeR. With the 3.0 release, we changed our software to improve the performance when switching between child windows of an application. We are disappointed to learn that users are still having problems.
We have not been able to reproduce what you have reported, specifically when using Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2 M120.
Could you please post your system details and application version?
Nuno Gomes
JockeR

Post by JockeR »

Hello ngomes,
We use Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0 M100.
I use it on a Compaq Evo N800w laptop/workstation. WinXP SP2/1GB RAM/ATI Mobility Fire GL9000 graphics.

We use different workstations, both laptops and regular workstations and other users also have the same problem with switching windows.

Maybe there is a problem with the M100-release of Wildfire and the 3.x drivers?

Note, also refer to Track-No. 3300, that my colleague mailed to you yesterday.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

JockeR wrote:Maybe there is a problem with the M100-release of Wildfire and the 3.x drivers?
It is a possibility. We will need to verify.
JockeR wrote:Note, also refer to Track-No. 3300, that my colleague mailed to you yesterday.
Not quite sure I follow. To whom exactly was "Track-No. 3300" sent to?

Thanks for the system details.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

ngomes wrote:
JockeR wrote:Note, also refer to Track-No. 3300, that my colleague mailed to you yesterday.
Not quite sure I follow. To whom exactly was "Track-No. 3300" sent to?
Got it. It was sent to our Customer Service call centre.
johand

changing window in Pro/Engineer Wildfire 2 is extremly slow

Post by johand »

Hi,
I'm experiencing the same problem. I use the 3D connexion spacepilot. Since I use the spacepilot, switching between windows is slow.
It's not as slow as JockeR (5-10sec.) but still irritating.
If there is a solution to this problem I am very much interested.
I use a HP xw4300 workstation and Pro/E wildfire 2 M190.

Regards,

Johannes Dercksen, SRON institute for space research.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi, we have reproduced the problem. It is internally tracked in incident report 4236. We will post any new information in this thread as we get it.
JockeR

Post by JockeR »

Okay,
Hope you'll find a solution soon!
Thanks for your efforts.
lynnagency

Post by lynnagency »

Where can I find incident report 4236? :)
mweigand
User
User

Post by mweigand »

This number is a reference to our internal bug tracking database.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi all,
Here's quick summary of the current situation. The bug identified in this post is not the issue that has been reported in this topic. In other words, we have not been able to reproduce the 5 to 10 seconds delay when switching between two Wildfire windows.
We have created the incident report 4248 to track the 5 to 10 second delay issue.
A point-release of 3DxSoftware v. 3.0 will soon be available for download. Although we do not expect this issue to have been fixed, we would still very much appreciate if users that can reproduce the problem would verify it using the new release.
10mrussell

Post by 10mrussell »

I have a similar problem but it's not with switching between wildfire2 windows, it's switching between wildfire2 and other applications. This is where I get the spike in processor usage and the 5 to 10 sec lag.
JockeR

Post by JockeR »

Hello again,
Just to clarify, as 10mrussell said, the problem occurs both when switching windows in pro/e and switching between other applications that are able use the spacepilot.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi JockeR and 10mrussell,
Our point-release version 3.0.9 is now available for download. We would appreciate if you could verify your scenarios and post the results in this topic.
JockeR

Post by JockeR »

Hi, I removed the 3DxOffice and 3DxAdobe drivers, and the delay when switching between application disappeared.

Then I also installed the latest 3.0.9 software and only use it i Pro/E, and my first impression is that it works better.

But as you ngomes wrote:

"A point-release of 3DxSoftware v. 3.0 will soon be available for download. Although we do not expect this issue to have been fixed, we would still very much appreciate if users that can reproduce the problem would verify it using the new release."

Maybe the problem in Pro/E also is affected if legacy drivers for other applications, eg. Office and Acrobat is used...

I'll give you more feedback when I used the new drivers for some more time.

Regards,
Joakim