Photoshop support?

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

krivel

Photoshop support?

Post by krivel »

Does the 3d Connexion products no longer support Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator? I don't see them on the supported products list. I remember they worked great with the SpaceBall 3000 when I tried it about a year ago. I sure hope you guys didn't drop support on those apps!
Kris Rivel
Director/Owner
Apparatus
www.apparatusfx.com
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Adobe Photoshop is no longer an application that 3Dconnexion actively supports on Windows.
Users can still go to the 3Dconnexion download page and retrieve a plug-in for 3DxPhotoshop from the archive category.
I am not aware of a specific plug-in for Adobe Illustrator but it may have been supported using our product for generic Windows applications, 3DxOffice (also no longer under active development but still available from the same location as above).
Last edited by ngomes on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuno Gomes
krivel

Post by krivel »

I don't understand why something so popular and widely used like Photoshop would no longer be officially supported. Any reason why?
Kris Rivel
Director/Owner
Apparatus
www.apparatusfx.com
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Although a popular application, it is not a core target for a 3D navigation device. Because of its wide use and popularity, we are happy that we can continue to provide something for use via the web archive. However, due to the amount and level of quality assurance we provide for the many 3D applications we support and test, it makes sense for us to focus continuing development on those applications.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
krivel

Post by krivel »

I fully understand but Photoshop and ANY 3d application are like bread and butter. NOBODY uses a 3d app without Photopshop. I'm just saying that supported Photoshop support is icing on the cake when a serious 3d professional like myself is looking at a product like this.
Kris Rivel
Director/Owner
Apparatus
www.apparatusfx.com
pulse98

Post by pulse98 »

The engineers at my company use SolidWorks but do not use PhotoShop, they are engineers, not artists. I use photoshop because I am on the marketing side of our engineering department.

Since 3Dconnexion has decided to go "consumer pricing" with their $59 3d controller, I can imagine many photoshoppers and ALL computer users begin to use this type of controller.

My coworkers that are gamers said that a 3d controller would be great for first person shooters but at the old entry price of $300, this did not make sense. But at $59, it is worthy for gamers to look at.
SolidWorks
Geomagic
VisualMill
Faro Laser Scanner
triststephens

Photoshop debate

Post by triststephens »

I use photoshop with 3dsmax all the time and wanted to know if the adobe software drivers will be able to cope with updates beyond CS2. The website 3dConnexion gives no indication that Adobe photoshop is a legacy software requiring an archive plug-in:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/dcc/2b4.php

I think many artists would very much like to use the SpaceNavigator but this does not instill confidence.
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Thanks for your input. We are currently evaluating the CS3 beta -- we will post again when we can provide more information on our evaluation and plans for support.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
triststephens

Post by triststephens »

Thanks for your reply Ziva, I am very glad that photoshop users are being thought of. cheers
Spider

Post by Spider »

znissan wrote:Although a popular application, it is not a core target for a 3D navigation device. Because of its wide use and popularity, we are happy that we can continue to provide something for use via the web archive. However, due to the amount and level of quality assurance we provide for the many 3D applications we support and test, it makes sense for us to focus continuing development on those applications.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
Well, correct me if I am wrong, but the 3DConnexion is changing, or widening ist costumer-base and market-orientation by making a professional device available for the mass market at an affordable price. And this means the expectations and software usage of these people also has to be taken into consideration. If the SpaceNavigator I bought today won't get any more support for the allegedly supported software like Photoshop, Acrobat or even older versions of Autocad then I should better send it back.

That's another point I would like to criticize. Although the support site is proudly listing over 100 software that are support by this product, there is no information about the supported versions, the kind of support whatsoever. There is not even any mention of the "Legacy Drivers" that are absent on the driver cd that comes with the device but are necessary for the functioning of SpaceNavigator with Office, Photoshop etc. which are advertisied as "supported out of the box".

Again, please correct me if I am wrong, but if this product was to be advertisied as "a fancy toy" that works, with Google Earth - this is the impression you get when you Google and look at the reviews-, and any other cutting-edge-latest-version software that you happen to have lying around at home, then I wouldn't be writing these sentences. Also, if I were to be a professional 3D artist, game developer etc. I -most probably-wouldn't bother with SpaceNavigator and would be using SpacePilot or SpaceExplorer which really are professional tools for professional software and have their justification. The question is "Who is the core target of a 3d navigation device that sells for 90 euros with a commercial licence?"

But i am a student of architecture, on a student-budget. And I have seen the ads for SpaceNavigator. And being not that dumb, checked on the internet to see if this device-the hardware- really does what it's supposed to do, and seen that it does. And seeing this as a fair deal I bought myself a standart edition (seeing it as an invesment if I happen to do some basic 3d drawing stuff for architects on holidays etc) SpaceNavigator.

And it doesn't support the licensed Autocad 2000i I own, that I can afford, but only the 6500 euros cheap Autocad 2007. Does the 3dconnexion really think that people who buy the SE version for 90 euros need native support for just cutting-edge software? And if this is only a cool gadget that one can fly around in GoogleEarth, show his friends, why do you market it as a professional-tool for the budget-wise?
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello Spider:

We continue to offer solutions for Photoshop, Acrobat and Office from our website and also continue to offer solutions for older software. And, we work hard to encourage and partner with third-party vendors to adopt our SDK into their software. We will have support for CS3 as indicated and possibly some other Adobe solutions in the future.

As more and more versions of software as well as new software packages arrive on the market, we try our best to offer good quality assurance on these new solutions and still test with older versions of software. At some point we have to make decisions regarding what we will test and support to offer a high level of quality assurance, even though we know we will not satisfy all our customers. And we are sorry for that.

We will look at your suggestions and see how we can better represent what we do on our website. I actually thought we provided a good deal of information regarding application support, even providing individual application specific pages which demonstrate that we offer a professional tool, as well as a personal tool. And we do advertise and get mentioned in professional arenas around the web and in print. Google Earth and SketchUp our new areas for us, so there is currently a lot of positive buzz surrounding that support.

Again, we appreciate your comments and will make sure they get shared within our company. In the meantime, if you are still dissatisfied, please send an email to info@3dconnexion.com with reference to this post and we will try to work something out with you.
Hendrik Hemmler

Post by Hendrik Hemmler »

I hope (and you should influence adobe) cs3 acts like the image viewer you are delivering with 3.0.7: being able to move to all edges of the "canvas"; unlike the actual behavíor where the borders are at the edge of the screen and hidden under some tool boxes...
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello Hendrik:

Thank you for the suggestion.

We will certainly look at this as we develop our CS3 solution; however, as Photoshop does not currently allow for this feature, we may not be able to implement it either. We will let you know when we have an update, and you are certainly welcome to beta test when we have something.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
diego

Post by diego »

hello,
the whole photoshop thing is worring me as well. Since i bought SpacePilot also for this feature. So, please look in continue active support for it.

I also made a poll on the widening of the Adobe product supported here:

viewforum.php?f=10

hope it could help..

thank you

Diego
lynnagency

Post by lynnagency »

... I actually thought we provided a good deal of information regarding application support,...
Could you point me to the actual versions of the applications you claim are supported. Obviously many versions are not supported. It's very difficult to determine what is supported without versions being included. Without versions being given, the only assumption left is that all versions are supported It is increasing becoming evident that all versions are certainly not supported. Would you please share with us which versions of your hundreds of supported applicatins are supported. Thank-you.