Message "Unable to load user interface" is back

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: Message "Unable to load user interface" is back

Post by ngomes »

Hi Jurgen,
So I want a solution that is working now, I have done all the usual things you suggested.
Have you reach for Symantec? If so, have they provided a reason why our driver is being regularly blocked by their software?

If we know why the anti-virus (AV) software blocks 3dxsrv.exe, we may have a change of modifying our driver to work-around the AV block.

Also, have you tried moving one of the systems to an AV solution from a different vendor?
mda@jdcon.com

Post by mda@jdcon.com »

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my space navigator.
I'm running win 7 64 bit on a HP notebook pc with Symantec antivirus and have rebooted my pc over 100 times for this problem.
After a clean install it works for a while but suddently after a start up of the computer it stops working again.
I've tryed all the solutions mentioned i this forum and wasted a lot of time.

I think it's time for you to work for a solution, we have done our work!
The space navigator is a brilliant product, but with all my problems i'm just about stoping using it :-(
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mda@jdcon.com,
I think it's time for you to work for a solution, we have done our work!
The issue seems to follow Symantec's AV product. Have you considered using a program from a different vendor?

Just for the record: we want to see this fixed. We do not know why the AV program blocks 3dxsrv.exe from loading the DLL files as we have since years. We also fail to understand why the AV program ignores the exception for 3dxsrv.exe after a couple of days. This is does not seem logical to us.

The driver 3dxsrv.exe has no issues operating if Symantec's AV software is removed from the system.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

I searched Symantec's support site and came accross article HOWTO80864.

It seems that it is possible to create a "custom application control rule" to allow "Load DLL Attempts".

I still fail to see why Symantec AV would block 3dxsrv.exe by default. It may happen that the AV program has been configured (during installation, for example) to a more restrictive setting than normal.
mda@jdcon.com

Post by mda@jdcon.com »

Hi,
I have tried to disable the Symantec AV, still same problem.
It works now at home in my dockinstation, but when I go to my office next time and place my Notebook in the dockingstation there I'm sure I have to reboot my computer up to 5 times before it works again, sometime I give up.
Next time it fails I'm sure it will cost my boss a new keybord :x
el.antuan

Post by el.antuan »

I have the same, the same problem that you have explained above.

My OS is Win7x64 and since I installed the latest version of the driver, the problems have reappeared. I'm desperate and I share your frustration with this situation so uncomfortable.

The 3dnavigator is fine, but every time I update my driver ...I'm scared! :(

Ah! and I know I have to update the driver when it stops working. The logic situation is notified that there is a driver update , not the hardware stops working ... :cry:

I sincerly hope that you fix this problem. Really I hope so.

Regards from Spain:

Antonio.
el.antuan

Post by el.antuan »

¡Wow! I did it!!

I followed these steps:

1.- Uninstall ALL about the hardware.

2.- Install it like new HW

3.- When it finish, reboot the system.

4.- Look at that file :"Start 3DxWare.lnk" It is in the %user\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp.

5.- Copy this file in ALL of the Start Menu of ALL USERS: In \users\All users; also in \users\Default and whatever you have in the "users" directory.

6.- Shutdown the system. No reboot. SHUTDOWN!. Wait 1 hour aprox (No ask me why, because I don´t know).

7.- I did it last night, and this morning IT WORKS!! :wink:

8.- When you starts the system, it appears a message like "The driver is already installed". Clik OK. That's all.

I hope you use it.

Best regards:

Antonio
designtech

Post by designtech »

I've been having the same issue. I don't run any Symantec software. I do run AVG but I have an exception created for 3dxsrv.exe. This is an extremely frustrating problem as it will work for a few days then stop all of a sudden. Has anyone else found a real solution to this? I'm running a Dell M6600, Win 7-64 bit.
Jurgen

Post by Jurgen »

designtech wrote:I've been having the same issue. I don't run any Symantec software. I do run AVG but I have an exception created for 3dxsrv.exe. This is an extremely frustrating problem as it will work for a few days then stop all of a sudden. Has anyone else found a real solution to this? I'm running a Dell M6600, Win 7-64 bit.
Looks for me, that the AV software is not the problem, cause there are people without AV with the same problem....

Well I have to say, we don't have problems now for 1,5 week, the user who has the most problems with the error got a new computer now, and after installing windows 7, the very first thing I have done was installing the spaceexplorer.

But to be honest, I think the driver have to be rewritten, I have never seen so much troubles with a driver as with the Spaceballs.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Having an exception does not seem to be enough. I've seen anecdotal reports of it being necessary to uninstall the anti-virus (AV) software to prevent the blocking of 3dxsrv.exe.
As mentioned before, we will gladly modify the driver if we can confirm what behaviour the AV software take an issue with.

For what is worth, we have not had these reports for new driver stack, 3DxWare 10 for Windows (currently in beta and available from the labs page).
Jurgen

Post by Jurgen »

This morning one of our users had the unable to load user interface back after working for more than 6 weeks without the error message.
The strange thing is that nothing has been changed on his computer, after rebooting 3 times it was fine again.
ChadDGibson

Post by ChadDGibson »

Something ngomes mentioned about usb packets at 60Hz solved my problem with this error.

Last Friday I was looking into my NVidia Settings and noticed I was refreshing at 59Hz, so I changed it to 60Hz. This morning, I received the "Unable to load UI" message.
After reading this response, I changed my video refresh back to 59Hz, restarted and there was no error message. Everything works again.
Mancunia

Post by Mancunia »

I have been having a similar problem and this thread has answered most of the questions I have, thanks guys
el.antuan

Post by el.antuan »

Hi, guys!

After the last update (31-01-13) The problems went back. I tried to reboot the host to fix it, but nothing occurred. :cry:

Finally I unplugged the 3D mouse and shut down the system. After 5 minutes, I plug it before turn on the PC.. and it works! :shock:

I'm repeating this procedure more times to ensure it's fine. I'll tell you then.

Regards :wink: