SpaceExplorer Not Working in Sketchup Using Mountain Lion 10

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

frankwil

SpaceExplorer Not Working in Sketchup Using Mountain Lion 10

Post by frankwil »

Have had major frustrations trying to get SpaceExplorer to work with Sketchup Pro ver. 8.015157 (latest) and Mac OS X 10.8.1. Did a reinstall of latest driver 1.7.2 after it quit working. It would work fine until a restart, then not work in Sketchup after that. Still worked in Google Earth and Vectorworks 2009. Tried the new beta drivers 4 and 6 with similar results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

F.
UtaSH

Re: SpaceExplorer Not Working in Sketchup Using Mountain Lio

Post by UtaSH »

Hi frankwil,

is Sketchup 8 the only version you have installed?

I recommend you stick with the beta driver. In the panel of the beta driver you have a tab "Tools" and there a button "Install Plugins". Try that and then see if it is working.

If you still have problems please check in the folder "/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 8/SketchUp/plugins" if you have the plugin bundle 3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin and the file 3DxSketchup.rb.
frankwil

Post by frankwil »

I've verified that Sketchup 8 Pro is the only version installed - both in the system library and the user library. I even did a "clean reinstall" of Sketchup according to instructions found on the Google site. I am seeing the 3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin and the file 3DxSketchup.rb in the System Library in the location you pointed to, but they were not present in the User Library in that location. In fact, there is no "plugins" folder present in the Sketchup folder at all under User. I copied all of these from the System Library and added them to the User Library, did a restart, but still saw the same issues. I have noticed that after I do a "install plugins" under the tools tab that it will work, but only again until the computer is restarted. I don't leave my computer up all the time, so this is not a viable option for me. I'd be glad to provide any system info you may need to troubleshoot this.
txparticleman

Post by txparticleman »

I just purchased/received the Space Navigator (week of 9/17/12) and it initially worked on my MacPro and MBPro (both running 10.8.1); however, after upgrading to 10.8.2, it no longer works on the MacPro.

I was able to get it to work for a short time on the MBPro by re-installing the "plug-ins" only; however, this trick did not work for the Mac Pro. It seems to work fine under Win 7 in a VM but that's what I had expected.

Is this a known "issue" and if so, does anybody know if it is being resolved?

thx
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi txparticleman,

can you please tell me what SketchUp version you are using?
Which driver (3DxWareMac) version do you use (1.7.2 official or 10.x beta)?

I'll try to reproduce your issues
I keep you updated. The internal tracking number for your (also frankwil's) issue is: #6193

Regards,

Christian Robl
frankwil

Post by frankwil »

Thanks for the reply Robl. Just FYI.... my Sketchup version is 8.0.15157 and the driver I'm using is the 10.6 beta. Still seeing this issue.
txparticleman

Post by txparticleman »

Thanks for the reply....

I'm currently using Sketchup 8.03161 with OS 10.8.2 on a Mac Pro. Also Google Earth (6.2.2.7373) is not working w/ the Space Navigator either. I am using the current driver (1.7.2) and while I have downloaded the beta version 10.xx, I have not installed it yet because I've read that it didn't help another person. It will be a method I may try after exhausting my ideas for 1.7.2 first.

Both of these apps were working with 10.8.1, though intermittently. But now, they're definitely not working on the Mac Pro under 10.8.2.

Next, I will re-attach the space navigator to the MBPro and see if it still works intermittently.

More to follow.....thx
txparticleman

Post by txparticleman »

I just tested the MBPro (MacBookPro8,2 ...... OS 10.8.2) and I definitely can't get the Space Navigator (1.7.2) to work for either Sketchup (8.03161) or Google Earth (6.2.2.7373). For what it's worth, the Mac Pro model is a "MacPro3,1".

Not sure if this should matter but on both systems, I have installed the latest version of Xcode and command line tools. Other than this, I don't think I have any unusual pieces of software installed.

Any help is appreciated.

thx
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi txparticleman,

thank you for your additional info on this / your issues.

Regarding GoogleEarth 6.2 it may be necessary to enable the 3D Mouse. In Google Earth open the "Preferences" menu, "Navigation" tab and check "Enable controller" (maybe you'll need to restart GE after this).
If this should not help (unfortunately I cant reproduce your GoogleEarth issue here), please try as with SketchUp (see following).

@frankwil, @txparticleman:
For SketchUp I may have a workaround (the issue is still worked on), which proved to work:
In the driver panel please "Add application" SketchUp again.
You'll be prompted that you are about to overwrite an existing configuration - confirm this, you want to do so.
Hit the "Use defaults" button.
(Re)start SketchUp and it should work.

Please let me know, if this works for you, too.

Regards,

Christian Robl
txparticleman

Post by txparticleman »

Christian,

Thanks for the workaround suggestions. It worked for both Google Earth and Sketchup (adding the application and re-writing over the previous setting). If I restart the computer, then I have to go through the work-around process again but it's certainly great to have the ability to make it work while the issue is being worked on. For what it's worth, only the "add application" methodology worked for both my issues. Selecting the "enable controller" didn't work for Google Earth.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the assistance!
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi txparticleman,

nice to hear!
Although I didn't expect the workaround not to survive a reboot.
Here in our Lab its stable, meaning I could reboot as often as I like (OS X 10.8.2) and SketchUp is still works.

We'll keep on working on this issue anyway and I'll keep you updated when there's a fix available!

Regards,

Christian
frankwil

Post by frankwil »

Christian,

As I've stated before, doing an "Install Plug-ins" under the tools tab also brings the SE to life for me in Sketchup, but only until a reboot. I've never had an issue with Google Earth.

Mac OS 10.8.2

F.
txparticleman

Post by txparticleman »

Christian,

For what it's worth, I created a new admin account on both my systems and experienced the same results as with my existing admin user account. Meaning, the problems w/ 10.8.2 exist, adding and replacing the settings for G.Earth and G.Sketchup allowed the Space Navigator to work, but only for that session. After a reboot, the problem returned and therefore required implementation of the workaround.

Thanks again.
peer

Post by peer »

OK, I got it working! The sketch up plugins are always in the Macintosh-Library-Application Support-Google Sketchup 8-Sketchup-plugins folder. I just tried to copy the 3dconnexion plugins in my user library ("username"-Library-Application Support-Google Sketchup 8-Sketchup-plugins) (you must create a pluginfolder in the sketch up 8 folder). After restarting Sketchup I now have my SpaceExplorer up and running! Maybe it also works for others. For those who can't see the User Library folder (Apple hides it standard), you can open the Terminal app and type "chflags nohidden ~/Library" and press Enter. Your Library is now visible in the Finder again. Hope I could help some of you!

Regards,

Peter
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to give a little update on this issue, not leaving you in a information void.

We may have found the bug; at least a strong suspicion. If anyone here likes to verify:

(For those of you that already added SketchUp according to my hint given earlier in this thread, please:
- remove (backup first!) your ~/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist)

- open the 3Dconnexion prefs panel
- select the SketchUp configuration a click on "Use Defaults".

- open SketchUp and verify that motion/buttons of your 3D Mouse are working correct

This was verified to work here in house also surviving a reboot.
Mac OS X 10.8.2, SketchUp 8.0.15157.

@txparticleman: does this also work/solve regarding your GoogleEarth issue?

Regards,

Christian Robl