Space Pilot Pro functionality on Mac

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Defender666

Post by Defender666 »

I was in touch with 3DConnexions competitior and they will consider releasing a driver for MAC. So maybe then 3DConnextion will react and finally realises that 90% of the creative people move from PC to Mac.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Hi,

Some information for SpacePilot PRO users - the new 3DxWare 10 driver for the Mac is now available and adds support for SpacePilot PRO. It's a beta driver so we would appreciate any feedback you may have.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/supported-so ... xlabs.html

Thanks
BDKmac

Thank you 3d Connexion!

Post by BDKmac »

Thank you for finally hearing our cries! After I spent $400 on a Spacepilot Pro, I was a little perturbed to find out it doesn't work on my Mac (really guys, it can't be that complicated). Granted, I mostly use it with PC's, as there is not a lot of MCAD software YET, but just the same, as the software becomes available for Mac I am slowly but surely cutting the cord, er, ball and chain to the PC. Thank you for finally doing your job in that effort, 3d Connexion...
BDKmac

How do we give feedback on the beta?

Post by BDKmac »

Also, now that I downloaded the beta, who/where should we email to give feedback about it?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Either here. :)

Or you go to the location where you downloaded the beta and use the "Give Feedback" link.
BDKmac

So what have you found so far?

Post by BDKmac »

For those of you who have downloaded the Mac driver, what are your thoughts so far?

I have not had time to play with it extensively, but one thing right off the bat that is way better than Windows 7, is that I can unplug the device without using the start/stop driver (because frankly I do not know where the start/stop driver button is located), and then reconnect the device without a problem. On Windows 7, if the computer goes to sleep without me stopping the driver, often times the device will not work properly again unless I restart the computer.

And along the lines of not knowing where the start/stop driver icon is located (perhaps you do not need one, which would be fine with me), in general I have found it difficult to locate anything related to the device on the computer. For example, where do I go to program the buttons on the device? I prefer to change the configuration of the axes from stock, and I don't know where to do that on the Mac version. Am I just missing something? This functionality certainly needs to be present, and if it is already, it needs to be more obvious, or is someway documented so that users can quickly learn how to use it.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Hi BDKmac,
And along the lines of not knowing where the start/stop driver icon is located (perhaps you do not need one, which would be fine with me)
There is no start/stop option. As you noted, one is not needed.

For configuring the device, go to your System Preferences. You'll find the 3Dconnexion preferences pane there.
BDKmac

Post by BDKmac »

Nice! That is a very Mac native way of doing it. So much so, that I didn't even expect you to do it that way. Now that I know that, I will continue to play with it and let everyone here know how it goes.
edgley

Post by edgley »

Three years I have waited for this driver, and when it comes along it doesn't support the old Space Pilot.

Please allow it to be properly configured. Its the most beautiful peripheral I own, and would love to have to create it a space on my desk, it would fit along side my Wacom so well.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

I have just installed the beta driver and there is no SpaceMouse PRO to select :evil:
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

The beta is still under work. We first concentrated on the release driver to support our new device. Please bear with us for a while. :)
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

hope it will be soon, as a customer i somehow expect that driver is also released as soon as the product is able to be bought :)

so when can we expect the full version of the driver ?
MacL

Post by MacL »

I am curious about the development schedule, as well.

I understand that it is not possible to make actual commitments for a release date, but it would be nice to understand the intent for scheduling.

The current Beta release seems to have some issues with mapping the right view buttons (only the ISO button works). I can see the actual buttons work using a USB sniffer program, so I assume that the driver is the issue. I won't discount that it might be me. :)
AdamUllstrom

Soo.. how are things going?..

Post by AdamUllstrom »

Hi staff of 3DConnexion

I seems like nothing much is happening around the development of Space Pilot Pro drivers/software for OS X.

The last update was for 3DxLabs for Mac OS X was way back 04/07/2011.

I bought the Space Pilot Pro back in april 2011 at Hannover Messe 2011 at 3DConnexion's stand by YOUR representative ensuring and promising me, a student with not much resources, that OS X was fully support with the Space Pilot Pro and that even greater functionality would be added very soon.

This is more than a year ago, and I am still stuck with a product that is not working as promised, even though I have had a lot of patience, I am running out of it.

What is status on the 3DxLabs development? Is it around the corner or is it the dark subject at the offices that nobody want to touch?

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Sincerly
/ A disappointed and out of patience customer.

Denmark, Copenhagen
Regards
Adam Ullstrom
JulenFern

Re: Space Pilot Pro functionality on Mac

Post by JulenFern »

What happened with the driver? Microsoft paid not to develop it?