Cannot install 2.8.2 drivers...

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mx2street

Cannot install 2.8.2 drivers...

Post by mx2street »

I've downloaded 2.8.2 for my Spaceball 4000 FLX to use with SWORKS 2007 (like it worked before) and now autocad 2005/2007. I try to install the drivers and it says my "system has to be restarted in order to continue with the installation". I've done that about 10 times now and still to no avail the software upon trying to install tells me to restart the machine. I've cleared my prog files, registry and anywhere that it says 3dconnexion.

Any help?

HP NW9440
2GB RAM
Quadro FX1500M
80GB HDD
XP SP2

SWORKS 2006/2007
AutoCAD 2005/2007
mx2street

Post by mx2street »

I figured out the problem. I had to remove my laptop from the docking station and restart it off of the docking station (where my serial spaceball 4000 is plugged in). It worked fine after that. :mrgreen:
MacSolidWorks

Post by MacSolidWorks »

This solution doesn't help me at all. I'm having the same problem with a DESKTOP computer, consequently I cannot undock.

Again, I'm having EXACTLY the same problem. The stupid driver asks me to restart EVERY time!

I've tried everything I can, including ALL the tips and suggestions located in this forum and nothing works.

Someone at 3D connexion please help me!

-MacSolidWorks
agoenczi
User
User

SolidWorks

Post by agoenczi »

Hi MacSolidWorks

What version of SolidWorks do you have?

Please specify also the configuration you use: operating system, processor, memory, graphic card, connected USB devices to your computer, what is your device you are using, if you had a previous installation of the driver.
agoenczi
Fred

Post by Fred »

Check to make sure you have Admin access to install Downloads otherwise contact your Administrator. If you do have admins rights try the below:

The endless loop of restarting is caused by your install shield wizard
Usually an older version of Install shield. Our driver has the newer version of install shield and this would normally update your older in some machines this does not happen.

Try right clicking on the 2.8.2 downloaded driver and choose unzip
(Use winzip) after unzipping the file open up the components file
next open the components file
double click on the 3Dconnexion 3DxWare.msi file
this will install the 3dxware.

After this you can open and run the other plugins that you need.

Fred :wink:
MacSolidWorks

Post by MacSolidWorks »

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am an administrator, so not a problem there.

I did what you suggested last night (I used WinRAR to extract the files) and got the 3DxWare installed manually. However, I was hoping to use the full installer for future driver upgrades, so I manually updated the InstallShield program using the new one contained within the 2.8.2 unzipped driver.

Everything seemed to go fine, the new InstallShield went on XP without a hitch, but when I tried to install the full 2.8.2 driver again...the same restart warning problem appeared again.

I'm not using any plugins, this is an old 4000 FLX I got for really cheap and my kids just love the chicken demo.

I was also hoping my kids could use it for Google earth, Cosmic Blobs by SolidWorks, web page scrolling, and maybe for web-based games too. I don't know if this can be done with the 4000 model though.

Any further ideas on why this won't install correctly?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Here is information about the reboot loop issue. This is an XP issue NOT a 3DX issue.
3DxSoftware checks to see if there are any pending installations. This is part of the MSI 3.1 requirement
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310335

The serial devices such as the Spaceball 4000 driver is no longer being updated. In order for Google Earth and web page scrolling you need a usb device.
Such as the Space navigator, Traveler etc.

Fred
MacSolidWorks

Post by MacSolidWorks »

Thanks Fred. I suspected the SpaceBall was too old to be useful for those things. Oh-well, my kids think it's a toy and it's fun for them.

On the issue of the install, the link you posted is for Microsoft Windows 2000. That's a far jump from XP sp2. Have you actually experienced this problem and fixed it with the stated solution?

-MSW
MacSolidWorks

Post by MacSolidWorks »

Here is another question...

Why doesn't the SpaceBall work when I switch to another user in XP?

If I have the SB working on my login and switch to my wife's login (who is an administrator), or my kids (not admin) the SB won't work.

Do I have to log-out in order for the driver to detect the device on another user account?

-MSW
jwick

Post by jwick »

How are you switching to the other user in XP?
MacSolidWorks

Post by MacSolidWorks »

I'm just using the "switch user" function. I go to Start, click log-out, select switch user and then login to another account. My original account remains logged in but I'm now using another account.

I did figure out that the SpaceBall will work in another account as long as I do a complete logout of the current account and logon to another account.

Basically, the SpaceBall will not work on another account if you "Switch User" to a new account in XP.

Why, I don't know, but it's rather annoying. Is there a possible fix in our future?

-MSW
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi MSW,

A fix for that isn't on our radar screen, but I'll fill out a bug report on it.

In the meantime, I suspect it will work find if you stop the driver before you log out of your account and start it when you login to your wife's account. It might help to put the driver startup in your wife's StartUp folder (copy it from your Startup folder). You can use a desktop icon to stop it.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
MacSolidWorks

Post by MacSolidWorks »

Okay, that solution sounds reasonable and not too painful.

-MSW