Is SpaceNavigator Really a HID device on Mac OS ?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

unitarian411

Is SpaceNavigator Really a HID device on Mac OS ?

Post by unitarian411 »

Trying to read analog Spacenavigator axis values (for any of the 6 axes) in Unity - a 3D game engine. Not working.

Config: Mac OS 10.7.4, Unity 3.5.2f2 (free version), 3Dconnexion driver 1.7.1, Firmware 4.2 (i.e. all latest)

I also have connected a Logitech "Wingman Extreme 3D" joystick (4 analog DOF) on USB, it appears to Mac OS as a standard HID. I can read analog joystick values from it in Unity.

The Spacenavigator ("SN") supposedly appears to Mac OS (and thus apps) as a standard HID device also.

I have both connected, and can read Wingman analog values after adding the appropriate inputs in Unity Edit>Project Settings>Input (for me the Wingman is Joystick 1)
This is not the case for the Spacenavigator. Does it not provide its analog axes values to the generic HID drivers ???

More details for this & Unity are here: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/25 ... input.html
Unity support for Spacenavigator generally still lacking, see here: http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/1579 ... ort?page=1

Perhaps someone here knows the answer to "HID compliance" and "reading analog axis values" on Mac OS from the 3DConnexion drivers.

Thanks !
jwick

Re: Is SpaceNavigator Really a HID device on Mac OS ?

Post by jwick »

The SN is a standard HID device, but it is a MultiAxis Controller, not a joystick. Unity was probably written to assume HID joysticks.
crobl

Post by crobl »

You may also want to try the plugin, that is available for Unity 3D.
See this forum entry: Unity3d joystick support, or other support.
PixelPusher_3D

Post by PixelPusher_3D »

crobl - You may want to double check that link. It's for the editor only, not game play.

I am also testing the SpaceNavigator with Unity. Have there been any updates to get this working?

Thank you,

DC
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi DC,

I'm sorry that this thread was no help for you.
Since we do not provide a plugin for our 3D Mice in Unity and the Unity developers do not list our devices (Multi Axis Controller), it would be a good idea to ask them to support our devices.

Regards,

Christian
unitarian411

Post by unitarian411 »

Hello 3DConnexion -

would it not be great if you could have your drivers (at least optionally, but perhaps "as well") expose the SpaceNavigator as a regular joystick (like the Logitech Extreme, the G27 Racing wheel or any number of other HID devices)

This way Unity users wouldn't have these problems:
- plugins works only on windows
- only in edit more or only in runtime mode
- cannot be customized/changed
- plugins require Unity Pro, cant run on free version
etc.

Instead, users could simply use the pre-existing input manager tools in Unity to define their axes, buttons. Mac, Win. At edit and runtime. And you can fully customize what the SpaceNavigator manipulates and how.
That would be the right thing to do.

Please can you consider doing this (I am sure this would benefit other currently and future unsupported programs that allow standard joystick HID profiles) - I am sure it would help move a bunch of extra SpaceNavigators !

One current (limited) plugin for Unity sells for almost as much as the Navigator itself. Find a dev on oDesk to write a driver and collect the money yourself in expanded SpaceNavigator sales !

PUULEEEAAZE

THANK YOU !
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi DC,

what you request for our devices has nothing to do with the driver. Its the device.

As already said, all of our devices are defined as USB HID Multi Axis Controller.
You mention the G27 Racing Wheel (I'm not familiar with it). This device may be defined as HID Joystick Device or even a HID Automobile Simulation Device.

Again, the easiest way to get a good support of our devices in Unity, also without the need of a plugin, will be to ask their developers to add support for HID Multi Axis Controller in Unity as well.

We are very keen on getting our devices supported (actually we're already in contact with the Unity developer), but we've made the experience, that customers have a bit more impact on companies regarding these issues. So please keep asking the Unity-Team for support!

If you need assistance or have additional questions, please let us know - we're very happy to provide you with the needed information.

Regards,

Christian
rocah

Post by rocah »

Unity 3d for mac we all need