Autocad basic questions

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

edgarharris

Autocad basic questions

Post by edgarharris »

I'm using the SpacePilot for Autocad (2006) and for the moment (basic user) I use it for PANing and Zooming, but when I PAN or ZOOM (whith the rotation axis off) the SpacePilot ends my current comands.

Ej: While drawing a line and then I make a PAN my line command gets terminated (and the mouse disappears)

what can I do?
Edgar Harris
edgarharris

How can the options of a command can be loaded?

Post by edgarharris »

In Autocad (2006) commands in most of the cases they have sub-commands, promps, context menus, etc.

Can they be loaded in the LCD thus using them directly in my work flow whith my SpacePilot?
Edgar Harris
agoenczi
User
User

Autocad basic questions

Post by agoenczi »

Hi edgeharris

I tried to reproduce your issue. I have used a SpacePilot with the newest driver (included in the 3DxSoftware v3-1-8 ), the add-in for Autocad pre 2007 (from our Archive). I switched the rotation/roll out and I was able to draw lines and polylines without any problems while indicating the endpoints of lines, line segments and arcs with the mouse. And in the same time I panned the image in different direction...

I haven't any problem I could continue to draw only with some short interruptions for the navigation.

Could you describe a scenario to reproduce?
agoenczi
edgarharris

SCENARIO

Post by edgarharris »

--Ok, for the installation part.
I've installed the CD that comes with the SpacePilot (complete), then at the support tab in the webpage I folow the 3 steps of software selection and downloaded the latest version of 3Dxsofware 3.1.8 and install it, then the AutoCAD didn't recognize mi SpacePilot, so I reinstall my CD and AutoCAD started to recognize again the SpacePilot and now it works whit SkethUp. Also the "Control Panel" interface remain updated to the most recentone.

--for the devide status part.
I've changed the Zooming direction, checked pan/zoom and Dominant boxes and reverse the axes.

--for the "versions" part.
Copied from the "3Dconnexion control panel" (abuot)
Release version: 3.1.8
(driver Version: 6.1.7)
Firmware version 3.12
device type: spacePilot

Copied from the AutoCAD 2006 (about)
product version: Z.54.10

Now, at No time I've been able to: start a LINE, then PAN, then finish the LINE. Much less orbit arround while a command is in progress. The command gets resummed or finished or exited the moment I PAN; and the mouse dissappears from the screen, I have to CLICK to make it reappear. (it never moved, it just wasn't visible)
Edgar Harris
agoenczi
User
User

SCENARIO

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Edgeharris

1. Please remove the 3DxSoftware completely with the "Add/Remove Software" standard Windows tool.
2. Reboot your computer.
3. Download the newest 3DxSoftware v3-1-8
4. Download the 3DxAutoCAD16_v3-2-9_win32.exe plug-in from our "Driver Download" page available under "Archive (Legacy Software)"
5. Install 3DxSoftware v3-1-8, please execute a custom installation and exclude the 3DxAutoCAD 4.0.8
6. Install 3DxAutoCAD16_v3-2-9
7. Test your device again and post your findings here
agoenczi
edgarharris

Post by edgarharris »

I uninstall ALL the software from 3Dconnexion (even drivers) and reinstall it.

THE PROBLEM REMAINS
This is what happend:

-Restarted the PC
-Install the 3DxSoftware_v3-1-8 (except AutoCAD driver)
-Install legacy 3DxAutoCAD16_v3-2-_win32
-then I ran the AutoCAD 2006.

1.- The problem still exists. (IMPORTANT. I start a LINE, then PAN with the SpacePilot, the unfinished LINE disappears the moment the PANing begins, then I have to press ESC to make the MOUSE along whith the LINE to be visible again and then finis the LINE)
If you are familiar whith AutoCAD this could be important. when I start PANing the UCS icon (universal coordenate system; x,y,z) transforms in the UCS that indicates 3D movement, and I am only PANing (even whit DOM checked)

2.- Even after the complete reinstallation of the 3DxSoftware_v3-1-8 (except AutoCAD driver) and the 3DxAutoCAD16_v3-2-_win32 the SpacePilot displayed the personalized screens that I edited before (yesterday) the reinstall procedure. (I think it didn't removed everything after all) I even "created and i-Tunes setting that still remains"

Note: the PANing I apply is personalized in a screen that reads: AutoCAD - Edgar, which is my first name, however it still doesn't work with the standard AutoCAD screen which I assume is the predefined setting.

Note 2: please excuse my inglish (spanish speaking) and remember that I am a basic user in terms of windows and SpacePilot knowledge.
Edgar Harris
agoenczi
User
User

Autocad basic questions

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Edgar

I undestand your problem. Please do understand mine too: I have to reproduce at first the issue you reported.

I have seen the same UCS transformation but I was still able to continue the LINE command after ending the panning operation with the SpacePilot.

Please specify what is the configuration you use and the USB devices connected to your computer.
agoenczi
edgarharris

Config.

Post by edgarharris »

DELL Precision PWS690
-2 Intel Xeon Dual-core 3.00GHz (quad system)
-3.00 GB RAM
-Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro FK 550 128MB Dual Monitor
-Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Professional

USB devices:

VAIO mouse (2 buttons and scroll with a central button)
KENSINGTON numeric key pad
DELL keyboard (full)
WACOM intuos 3 tablet (4x6)
BILLIOTON Bluetooth USB dongle (with IVT blueSoleil ver. 1.6 driver)
Edgar Harris
agoenczi
User
User

Autocad basic questions

Post by agoenczi »

Hi edgeharris

I reproduced the issue.

It works that way, but I have a workaround for you. If you click on the cube in the 3dconnexion add-in and you set "AutoRegen", you will see the line as you release the navigation knob again.

However the cursor just disappeared but the command was not interrupted: you can observe that on the changing cursor coordinates below the active window. And you still can input a numeric value for the next point coordinates.
agoenczi
edgarharris

It works...!

Post by edgarharris »

From the moment I checked the "auto regen" box it started working, thank you.

Is there a manual or something I can read to skip all these minor problems?
Edgar Harris
agoenczi
User
User

Autocad basic questions

Post by agoenczi »

Hi edgraharris,

You will find a description of the known issues under Start -> All programs -> 3Dconnexion -> 3Dconnexion Add-In for AutoCAD -> Help
agoenczi