Photoshop and SpaceNavigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

monsieurguzel

Post by monsieurguzel »

Hello, i am using Photoshop CS2 and downloaded the plugin from 3Dconnexion. I am able to pan and zoom with the controller but somehow cannot get the brush size to change. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
alex
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi monsieurguzel

Please specify what do you want to do and how would you like to do that?
agoenczi
devil121

Problem with 3Dconnexion

Post by devil121 »

Hi agoenczi, Just like monsieurguzel I downloaded the plugin from 3Dconnexion. At first I though it will help me to unwrap the texture map for 3DS max. But when I am trying to use it to unwrap the texture .. the things are getting tangling, and the system is crashing without any response. The configuration of my computer is very high. So I am not understanding the reason behind this crash. Is there any problem with dll files?
agoenczi
User
User

Problem with 3Dconnexion

Post by agoenczi »

Hi devil121

Please specify what kind of plug-in are you using?

Are you working with 3DS max? Which version?
agoenczi
teardrop3d

Photoshop Issue

Post by teardrop3d »

In response to monsieurguzel I would like to chime in that the brush size is not working for me either. I have your newest drivers 3.1.8 and also downloaded the photoshop plugin from your archives. panning and zooming works perfectly. (using cs2)

however twisting the spacenavigator has no perceivable effect (ie. your website photoshop page mentions that changing brush size is as easy as twisting the knob). HOWEVER, in the configuration tab for the L and R buttons the Increase/decrease brush size is available.

I have currently mapped it to the buttons but it is a far from ideal configuration since twisting would be far better.

PS: I am running a wacom intuos3 as well (I've manually allocated the keys '[' and ']' buttons to the slide scroll device - this shouldn't interfere though...?)

Thanks in advance
teardrop3d

Re: Problem with 3Dconnexion

Post by teardrop3d »

devil121 wrote:Hi agoenczi, Just like monsieurguzel I downloaded the plugin from 3Dconnexion. At first I though it will help me to unwrap the texture map for 3DS max. But when I am trying to use it to unwrap the texture .. the things are getting tangling, and the system is crashing without any response. The configuration of my computer is very high. So I am not understanding the reason behind this crash. Is there any problem with dll files?
I'm not fully understanding your unwrapping predicament either. I understand that you are in 3dsmax and NOT photoshop. If so I can't see how the spacenavigator would directly aid in unwrapping. Generally initial unwraps are horibbly horribly tangled and layered. unless you have implicit mapping on and were poly modelling but even then its not walk in the park! I can't really see how SpaceNavigator will help you in untangling anything unless you are somehow moving uv vertex using the navigator?
Wagner

Re: Photoshop and SpaceNavigator

Post by Wagner »

monsieurguzel wrote:Hello, i am using Photoshop CS2 and downloaded the plugin from 3Dconnexion. I am able to pan and zoom with the controller but somehow cannot get the brush size to change. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
alex
I have the exact same problem. I would love to be able to change the brush size by rotating the navigator knob. I thought this was possible?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello,

Our apologies. This was an inadvertent omission in the SpaceExplorer and SpaceNavigator sections of the photoshop.scg config file. You can correct the erroneous lines if you have access to the default config file directory ( e.g., ...3DxWare/en_us/profiles/default).

If you want to edit this file, use Wordpad and make sure the file remains saved as a Unicode file when you are all done.

Find the following two sets of two lines in the [SPACEPILOT] section of the photoshop.scg file:

MOTION_MAP_5_POS_DFLT = { USER_013, REPEAT_CONSTANT, 25.00, 100.00, 5.00 }
MOTION_MAP_5_NEG_DFLT = { USER_014, REPEAT_CONSTANT, 25.00, 100.00, 5.00 }
MOTION_MAP_5_POS_USER = { USER_013, REPEAT_CONSTANT, 25.00, 100.00, 5.00 }
MOTION_MAP_5_NEG_USER = { USER_014, REPEAT_CONSTANT, 25.00, 100.00, 5.00 }

Copy these two sets of two lines into the [SPACENAVIGATOR] &[SPACEEXPLORER] sections, where they currently look like this:

MOTION_MAP_5_POS_DFLT = AXIS
MOTION_MAP_5_NEG_DFLT = AXIS

and

MOTION_MAP_5_POS_USER = AXIS
MOTION_MAP_5_NEG_USER = AXIS

(IOW, replace these 4 lines with the 4 lines from the SPACEPILOT section.)

Then restart the 3DxWare driver.

This will be fixed in an upcoming release. Sorry for the confusion.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
submono

Post by submono »

jwick,

I did exactly what you said in your previous message but to no avail. Still, twisting the knob has no effect at all in PS CS2. I'm using version 3.1.8 (driver version 6.1.7) with firmware 3.17. I am also running a Wacom Intuos 3. Might this be a problem?

I'd also like to know if it is possible to zoom in pre-defined steps like what PS is doing when I'm using the zoom tool. Getting zoom factors like 81.2% or 63.7% is not really what I want. Would be cool if the user could define this.

Thanks!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi submono,

After you make the above changes to the default configuration, you must reselect the default configuration in the 3DxWare GUI. The driver was probably still using your previously saved custom configuration (photoshop - submono ?). You can also make these changes to your custom configuration.

You can assign any keyboard macro to these functions. If you can find one that does a zoom by the exact amount that you want, create it and change the user_013/14 to the new commands (in the BUTTON_CHARACTERS entry near the top of the file). We can help you with that part if you want.

Let us know if you find something that works better.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
submono

Post by submono »

Hi Jim,

works like a charm now :D This makes the Navigator a really cool and useful tool for PS.

About the zoom question: I'm actually not sure how to implement it. When I press "z" to get the zoom-tool in PS I still need to click on the canvas to jump from one predefined zoom level to another. How can this behaviour be simulated with 3dxWare? Since I can not record mouse clicks it might not be working. Can you tell me a little bit more about how you implemented your zoom function for PS?

Thanks, submono
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi submono,

To adjust the brush size, the driver is just wildly pressing the photoshop keys for changing the brush size when you spin the sensor (decrease one direction and increase the other direction).

You can see what these are in the GUI's custom function (keyboard macro) editor. I believe they are open and close square bracket for decrease and increase brush size, respectively.

If you can find a way of controlling the granularity of the [ ] photoshop keys, it would take advantage of that change.

Please post here if you find a way of doing that. I'm sure other people would appreciate knowing how to do that.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
submono

Post by submono »

Hi Jim,

thanks for the explanations. I'll play with it when I have some time. When I dig up something useful, I'll post it here.

submono
jayse

Post by jayse »

maybe if you mapped the zoom to a new macro of ctrl+= and ctrl+- it would zoom at even percentages.

Try holding the shift key while changing brush sizes - it should instead change the softness/hardness of the brush.

// jayse
submono

Post by submono »

Hi jayse,

interesting idea. Jim, can this be done? I've no idea how to implement this with axis rotation.

Changing the softness of the brush while holding the shift key works! It's just hard to do so when the left hand is on the Navigator and the right hand is holding the Wacom pen (the two Navigator keys are mapped to Undo/Redo). Wish the 3ds max driver would really work, than I could upgrade to a Pilot.

Nice weekend everyone, submono