View angle and roll (3ds max8)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Tak

Post by Tak »

Hi,

I have noticed that view angle affects to way how roll acts... For example if I see cube (on 0, 0, 0) slitely from top or bottom, view will roll just fine. But if I see cube from almost same level where cube's pivot is(slitely above that), roll movement will get stuck. It will then roll very badly or doesn't roll at all (some times roll wil get reversed!?).

Is it bug or am I doing something wrong? :(

I'm using scene/object setting as camera setting and disable rolling is on(so roll should get around Z axis).
Tak

Post by Tak »

OK, with zoom direction Z, all works fine without locking effect, but with Y zoom not :? Is there any way to switch Z and Y because in max world Z -> Y and Y -> Z :evil:
Wagner

Post by Wagner »

Tak wrote:OK, with zoom direction Z, all works fine without locking effect, but with Y zoom not :? Is there any way to switch Z and Y because in max world Z -> Y and Y -> Z :evil:
Yeah, I would want to know this as well.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Tak, hi Wagner

I would like to reproduce exactly what do you mean. I will use 3DS Max9. What I need is a scenario with a step-by-step description.
agoenczi
Tak

Post by Tak »

OK, I have only max8 so let's see if there is same problem with max9.

1. From 3DConnexion Control Panel set Zoom Direction as Y (green arrow).

2. Create box (1m, 1m, 1m) on to 0, 0, 0 (xyz).

3. Select that box you just created and press Zoom Extents Selected.

4. Tilt down so you can not see top face of that box and little bit more.

5. Try to roll around that box both sides. Now you should see that problem I'm talking about.

If you don't get any problem, just try to tilt little bit more up or down. It's very hard to tell when it happens. It's just happens...

Result is same without any object too.

With Z zoom direction there is no problem at all.
Tak

Post by Tak »

By the way, with Z zoom on there is same issue if you roll when looking top to bottom on perspective view.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Tak

I could reproduce the issue you decribed.

You should consider that your setting changes the position of the axes and you should try to imagine that in the situation you choose you should navigate differently as well. Please try it out - it works.
agoenczi
Tak

Post by Tak »

Umm... So you mean I have to live with it? Just imagine it works...?

With max's own navigation it never ever happens. So why it happens with SN?
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Tak

It happens with the SpaceNavigator as with other 3Dconnexion devices.

You change the zoom axes, you have another situation. You have to navigate differently. Or you can change again the zoom direction...
agoenczi
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Tak

I will have a word with our developers to find a solution. I will let you know soon.
agoenczi
Tak

Post by Tak »

Thanks agoenczi! :)
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Tak

Sorry for the delay...

Your roll axis inside MAX is moved to your device spin axis when you change the zoom direction. No axes are lost in this reorienting process.

You can see what is going on by selecting the dominant check box in the 3DxWare GUI (3Dconnexion Control Panel). You will then get only a single rotation (or a single movement) around an axis at a time. That should help you train your hand. The dominant filter will eliminate the cross talk that you are seeing. It is probably cross talk that is causing the roll direction to appear to reverse.

I can send you a config file that will not change your roll axis when you change your zoom direction, if you wish.
agoenczi