Using TDxInput.

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

Ix

Using TDxInput.

Post by Ix »

Does anyone have a basic example of using TDxInput in a .NET application ?
I'm using C#/et.all. (VS2005) on Vista and just need a push :).
Thanks.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Edited 14-JAN-2009:
Removed the code that was here. It was misleading. We have a better example now.

There is a good C# example on our ftp site:

ftp:/ *** ***
login: ***
password: ***
subdir: TDxInput
file: csmonitor.zip

Moderator Edit: the sample code is no longer available from the FTP service. Please contact 3Dconnexion API Support if you need further assistance.
Last edited by jwick on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ix

Post by Ix »

Bingo.....Thanks.
david25520

Problem adding example .NET code to existing application

Post by david25520 »

I can build and run the sample .NET application; however, when I add the code to the mainform of an existing C# graphics application, my SpaceNavigator will light up when the program starts, but the keyboard and sensor events are never triggered when using the SpaceNavigator.

What constraints exist in using TDxInput? I have not discovered any documentation on TDxInput for using it in a .NET application.
HansK

No events in existing C# application

Post by HansK »

I am also experiencing the same problems with an existing managed application. If I build and run the C# sample it will run fine and display events from the device.

But when I use the same technique within my existing C# application it never receive the events. The device connects and disconnects, IsConnected returns true, but no events are sent.

I also attempted manually polling for the values from the sensors within a timer event. Again, no value changes (all zero).

I have the following versions of the software installed:

release 3.3.6
driver 6.3.3
firmware 3.18

And a SpaceNavigator device.

Any help appreciated.
david25520

Closing a top most form

Post by david25520 »

I read elsewhere that if your application closes its first Form, then your TDxInput connection will not function. I encountered this with a Splash Window that is closed shortly after my Forms application is started. My work-around was to hide my Splash Window instead of closing. I believe this is a bug that will be fixed in a later release.
HansK

Re: Closing a top most form

Post by HansK »

david25520 wrote:I read elsewhere that if your application closes its first Form, then your TDxInput connection will not function.
This app also has a splash screen so I commented out the creation/display/closing of the window and tested again. Still no events.

But the issue of closing the first Form is interesting. Since I can instantiate the TDxInput instance, connect to it, but not receive events makes me wonder how the instance is polling the device. Does it require a message loop to poll the device and if so, which message loop is doing the polling?

[EDIT] I found the topic about the Form close issue:

viewtopic.php?t=1013&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

This sounds like it's the problem. I am going to try the previous software release to see if it corrects the problem.
ngomes

Re: Closing a top most form

Post by ngomes »

HansK wrote:I am going to try the previous software release to see if it corrects the problem.
Let us know what comes up. We're following this.
Nuno Gomes
cruzy

Post by cruzy »

I have a similar Problem. Will Post it in new thread though.
jdv26c

Post by jdv26c »

There is a good C# example on our ftp site:

login: ***
subdir: TDxInput
file: csmonitor.zip
Does that site (or some newer replacement) still exist? The page doesn't load. I would really like a C# example for connecting to a SpaceNavigator.

If there is another post that gives a C# example, please direct me to it.

Thanks!

Moderator Edit: the sample code is no longer available from the FTP service. Please contact 3Dconnexion API Support if you need further assistance.
UtaSH

ftp-us available again

Post by UtaSH »

Hi jdv26c,

the download possibility from ftp-us.3dconnexion.com is available again. Sorry for the problems; we had a transfer and some settings still had to be adjusted. :wink: Works now.
jwick

Post by jwick »

TDxInput has been deprecated. Please use the Raw Input samples in the SDK that can be downloaded from our web site. Raw Input, from Microsoft, incorporates into a typical Windows program and handles multiple devices very well.
jwick

Post by jwick »

I've posted a C# (WPF) example that uses Raw Input at:

user: ***
subdir: C#
filename: 3DMouse_WPF.zip

fabiodna

Re: Using TDxInput.

Post by fabiodna »

Also I have some problem with the ftp site,
Does that site still exist?

thanks

Fabio
4ndreas

Re: Using TDxInput.

Post by 4ndreas »

Is this still available somewhere?
I'm quite interested in a c# example.