Autodesk Alias

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

benherron

Autodesk Alias

Post by benherron »

Is there (i could only see 2008/9 AliasStudio Windows) or Will there be any driver support for Autodesk's 2010/11 Alias software, specifically Automotive?

Seems such a shame that its very much the same software as the windows version but now that i've changed to Mac 2011 Autodesk I've lost the functionality of my spacenavigator.

Regards Ben Herron
Bryan

Autodesk Software Plans for the MacIntosch Platform

Post by Bryan »

Dear benherron,

You would need to check with your Autodesk Support to see what they might share about their future plans for making use of our input devices in their MacIntosch Software.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
benherron

Post by benherron »

ok i've sent Autodesk an email and posted on their forums. we'll see what they say....if anything.

Shame really as i was thinking of upgrading to a pilot or pro this year for the new Alias 2011.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear benherron,

As an additional note, The MacIntosch Platform only makes use of the Space Navigator, the Space Navigator For Notebooks, and the SpaceExplorer.

The SpacePilot and the SpacePilot PRO do not make use of the MacIntosch Platform.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
greg68

Re: Autodesk Alias

Post by greg68 »

Its been 2 years since someone asked about your product working with Alias Design.

Alias can become a fantastic design app, if one master the interface, and Space Navigator can become a real boost.
What is the current situation? According to your DB it supports Alias on Windows BUT STILL NOT Alias on OSX.
Is it Autodesk's fault or yours? If it is Autodesk's why does it work on windows?
Is there any chance ti solve this issue?
I am an Alias - Maya fan, and I refuse to work on windows...

Can I get your fantastic product, or I will get disappointed?

thank you in advance
greg
Fred

Post by Fred »

It is Autodesk that will have to implement support into Alias.
Autodesk implemented native support for the Windows applications in 2011.
Contact them and let them know you would like them to add support for MAC Applications as well.
greg68

Post by greg68 »

Thanx Fred for your prompt answer.
greg68

Post by greg68 »

Hello again

New version of Alias and FINALLY 3DConnexion mouse works with Alias Design 2015 OSX !!!

But I still have a problem.
The 3D mouse seems to store (or cache) my input, somewhere, but with a little lag.
This means than even when I release the spaceNavigator it continues to move the OpenGL window, for few secs.
Until the cache gets empty. It is almost uncontrollable.

The same happens to Maya OSX specially on heavy geometry.

Any Help?
Tweak?
greg68

Post by greg68 »

I installed new drivers but problem still persists

Any help?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello greg68 -

If you are seeing the model continue to move when you are no longer touching the Space Navigator cap, use the Calibrate button to re-center. [3Dconnexion Properties - Tools - Calibrate]

This can happen if the relaxed position of the cap is slightly changed, then as the cap moves back to the original relaxed position, the sensor detects this movement and sends the data to the application causing the unwanted movement.

When you press Calibrate , make sure your Space Navigator is on a flat surface and nothing is touching the cap. The current driver does not show a visible signal when calibrating but it does re-zero the sensors.
-------------
Barbara
greg68

Post by greg68 »

Thanx Barbara for your answer.
I was starting to feel invisible... :)

Calibrating did not fix the problem.
That 's because the problem is rather software-ish.

The model continue to move even if I release the cap, but not forever as if the cap is not aligned.
It does it for a couple of seconds. The time actually depends on how much time, do I move the cap.
It seams that it is storing input information somewhere, that is not rendered immediately, but with a time lag.

In Maya 2011 which I also use, I have the same problem when I use "Default Quality Rendering", but disappears when I switch to "Viewport 2.0". These are OpenGl settings.
To my understanding there is a incompatibility between your drivers and Alias Design OpenGL renderer or even Maya's default OpenGL renderer.

Hope it helps you improve your drivers.