Maya object pivot issue

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

profchaos354

Maya object pivot issue

Post by profchaos354 »

I am having an issue with how my space pilot is working and I'm hoping someone can tell me a fix for it.

In maya, when I have an object selected and use the fit button, the camera's pivot point is set to the middle of the selected object (which is the way it should be). When I then unselect the object, the camera's pivot is set back to the middle of the scene. What I really need is for the camera's pivot point to stay at the object's center after I unselect the object. Without a fix for this small issue, my space pilot is completely unusable as a worthwhile work flow.

My preference settings:
camera: checked
scene/object: checked
fly mode: checked
disable rolling: checked
enable dominant axis filter: checked

everything else is unchecked

there was a similar forum post to this quite awhile ago, but he never received a fix to his issue: viewtopic.php?p=1606&sid=df40b88217559e ... 7c88c98137

PLEASE HELP ASAP. thanks
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

Hi Profchaos354

I would uncheck the dominant axis filter that will make the Space Pilot a lot more usable.

Unfortunately, you can't explicitly get the pivot to stay at the center of an object after you have unselected that object.

What you can do though is to get it to stay where maya puts it i.e. turn the camera into a target camera. This you achieve by unchecking the fly mode.

Alternatively, you could keep the pivot at the same distance in fron of the camera by switching the center of rotation to Focal Point.

Markus