User configurable interface to emulate a keyboard/mouse/Joy

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

While it was not plainly stated, I believe that the 3.12 beta is NOT the eagerly awaited after button-mapping beta that has been mentioned lately.

The only features mentioned in the announcements have been possible fixes for some Autodesk 2011 issues and support for a few more pieces/versions of software. This would also explain the very minor change in version number.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Unfortunately, there are a couple of betas running here at the same time. Sorry for the confusion.

The beta that was announced a few days ago is a beta of a point release of the old driver (3DxSoftware v3.x, which includes 3DxWare v6.x).

The beta you want is the new driver (3DxSoftware v4.x with 3DxWare v7.x). It's going to be a while for that.
necko77

Post by necko77 »

when this beta will be avalible for download ??? And where ???
thx
Smiler

Post by Smiler »

All these wasted years, being told "it can't be done", "ask your application provider", "not up to us" and then finally what we've been asking, begging and shouting for all this time is almost here, a user configurable driver.

I almost feel dissapointed in a way, dissapointed that that it has taken so long, dissapointed my SpacePilot is now discontinued just as the new driver is being beta tested but mostly dissapointed at how 3Dx and Logitech let this go on for so long, trying the patience of an incredibly loyal userbase who's only crime was to want to use the best 6DOF desktop device ever invented in ways its makers never envisaged or intended.

Thank you 3Dx for at last taking off the blinkers, I might upgrade my SP to a pro just for this.
Regards, Jeff.
YBW

Ain't it the Truth

Post by YBW »

Smiler you're right. It has been literally years that devoted 3Dx fans have been begging for this.

In the summer of the 2009, when I was helping support cleanup of the mess they made of the SolidWorks button config, I asked about a generic driver. That was the first time I heard that they were actually going to create such a thing. I was told then to watch the Labs board for a beta.

Another year gone and still nothing.

Now I'm on a Windows7x64 machine and I can't even use the old legacy Office app as a work around.

I would pay $50 to anybody, 3Dx or a third party for a driver just to get back up to speed. A third party driver would probably be better since it wouldn't be constrained by Logitech's "don't interfere with our gaming joystick sales" requirement.

Muddiman, if you need my $50 up front, just let me know.
necko77

Post by necko77 »

count me in AGAIN :)
Logitech team needs ages to finish this one, so hurry up and earn some money man !
8)
Phaedron

Post by Phaedron »

Assertions had been given in this post that generic support would be forthcoming in the 3DxLabs beta of the new driver.

I quote:
muddiman wrote:I am contemplating on having a Windows 7 x32/x64 bit driver/user configurable interface developed for the Spacenavigator. The package would mirror RBC9’s application.
jwick wrote:The features you are asking for are in the next 3DxWare release. This has been in closed beta for the last 6 weeks.
However, the current public beta released this past week still has no sign of generic bindings. A clarification in which build of the beta these functions would be included, and in which timeframe it will be released would be appreciated.
Phaedron

Post by Phaedron »

Sorry, I missed this post
jwick wrote:The beta you want is the new driver (3DxSoftware v4.x with 3DxWare v7.x). It's going to be a while for that.
So, now we know the version number, the question of the timeframe still stands.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Once again, sorry for the confusion. There is a lot of parallel development going on here (especially with such major changes). A point release of 3DxSoftware 3 isn't what you guys are looking for. I'll admit that release numbers like 3 vs 4 are awfully small changes to keep track of. Maybe we should completely change the name so you can look for 3DxSuperWare or something <G>.

I assume that there will be some sort of big splash about it (not my department). I believe we have definitely decided to use the 3DxLabs website to roll out the open beta program. I will also post an announcement on all the relevant forum threads that I can find. If you posted on one of these threads, you'll get a notice. I'll then lock the threads so the announcement doesn't get lost in subsequent responses.

For status, all the beta testers were reasonably happy with 3DxSoftware 4 and I hope you will be also. We wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for you.
zzz2496

Request for invite

Post by zzz2496 »

Hi jwick, I'm a long Logitech product user (I have many mice and keyboards, ranging from PS2 bus up to USB). I just bought a SpacePilot PRO. The SpacePilot PRO is one nice piece of hardware, too bad the current stable driver (and the latest beta) doesn't do the device justice.

Here's the thing, I have Contour Design ****** Pro controller. It got a good driver (although not perfect). I'd like to provide inputs to the driver developer team based on my experience with Contour Design's product. It got a very VERY flexible driver (sometimes too flexible). I can set the rate of mouse wheel clicks rate upon different values sent by an analog sensor's position, like neutral = no clicks, 1 step right = 1 scroll clicks per second, 2 step right = 2 scroll clicks per second, and so on. I got it to control Adobe Premiere specifically, but the driver it self is flexible enough to control just about any application out there.

If the generic driver handler can handle such configuration with super flexibility... I think it will make A LOT of 3Dconnexion device users happy... I mean ear to ear super wide smile. If you can setup the repeat rate of a button press, maybe macros, how many mouse clicks per a specific axis position/value. Even better, if we can set the response curve of the action, say if I bind translation x+y to mouse cursor movement x+y, and I could set the mouse acceleration speed curve to have a "logarithmic" curve as in only extreme axis value will result in very fast mouse acceleration. Things like that...

Boy, that would make me really happy, I can't imagine how it will make other users that had waited for 4+ years...

Thanks for your time reading my post,

zzz2496
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

jwick wrote: The beta you want is the new driver (3DxSoftware v4.x with 3DxWare v7.x). It's going to be a while for that.
[...]
For status, all the beta testers were reasonably happy with 3DxSoftware 4 and I hope you will be also
So why then not make it publically available? I still have 32/64 Bit parallel install just due to that ... Anyway, if muddiman comes first, I'll happily dough out for that...
zzz2496

Post by zzz2496 »

When can we see this v7.x, jwick? My SpacePilot PRO is sitting on my desk functioning as a very very VERY expensive paperweight for now (with a very fancy cloth cover to protect it from dust).

zzz2496
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

jwick, a couple of questions, which would be nice if I could get an answer soon:

- will the SpacePilot Pro be covered?
- 32/64Bit support?
- OS level free assignment of all axes and buttons including joystick and mouse emulation will be possible?
- when can we expect the beta going public?

The moment you can give a comfirmative positive response on these I will immediately place an order for an SP pro...
jwick

Post by jwick »

jwick, a couple of questions, which would be nice if I could get an answer soon:

- will the SpacePilot Pro be covered?
Yes.
- 32/64Bit support?
Yes.
- OS level free assignment of all axes and buttons including joystick and mouse emulation will be possible?
Yes.
- when can we expect the beta going public?
When it's deemed ready for general public consumption by the powers that be. That's all the details I can give you now. It's in testing....you know how that goes.
The moment you can give a comfirmative positive response on these I will immediately place an order for an SP pro...
We're counting on it...and "thank you".
fjs

Post by fjs »

jwick, some questions, which would be nice if I could get an answer soon:

- will the SpaceNavigator for Notebooks be
covered?

Hardware Identification:
Vid_046&Pid_c628
Vid_046&Pid_c628&Rev_0406

- 32/64Bit support?

Thanks for your answer.

Best regards

FJ