work around for Sketchup on case sensitive partition

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ettore

Post by ettore »

Biker4Mac, check your PM box - thanks again.
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
Igloo225

Post by Igloo225 »

ettore wrote:When you install the driver or reinstall the plugins, do you notice any error messages popping up in the installer log? The installer log is visible from the Installer menus: Window -> Installer Log

BTW, which dot version of SketchUp 6 are you using?
Hi Ettore,

My new SpaceNavigator does not work in SketchUp; however, it does work in GoogleEarth.

Is the answer to get 3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin and 3DxSketchUp.rb into /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/plugins?

After installing/uninstalling the updated program from 3DConnextion, I can find no way to get these drivers into the SketchUp folders.

Is there a patch I can download? Or can you post step by step instructions as to how to fix this? I'm new to Macs and have no idea how "janmelin" figured out what to do in his post of Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:25 am which seems to have fixed the problem: http://tinyurl.com/d7n6wk.

Here's what I'm using and installed:
Mac OS X 10.5.6
Google SketchUP Pro 7.0.10248
3dxwaremacPE 1.5.6
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Hi Igloo225,

The driver installer should have placed the required plug-ins for SketchUp into /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/plugins. I take it they are not there after running the setup. Is your SketchUp installed on the main drive of your Mac or is it in some other drive?

If it's on some other drive, you can temporarily create the folder /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/plugins to fool the driver into thinking there is a SketchUp install on the main drive. After you run the install, it should place 3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin and 3DxSketchUp.rb into the plugins folder. You can then move those files into your actual SketchUp directory. Be sure to delete the fake SketchUp directory afterwards.
Igloo225

Post by Igloo225 »

flomotan wrote:Hi Igloo225,

The driver installer should have placed the required plug-ins for SketchUp into /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/plugins. I take it they are not there after running the setup. Is your SketchUp installed on the main drive of your Mac or is it in some other drive?

If it's on some other drive, you can temporarily create the folder /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/plugins to fool the driver into thinking there is a SketchUp install on the main drive. After you run the install, it should place 3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin and 3DxSketchUp.rb into the plugins folder. You can then move those files into your actual SketchUp directory. Be sure to delete the fake SketchUp directory afterwards.
I placed the driver installer on the main drive. I've checked to see if it somehow got to my back-up drive - nothing there either.

It seems that these particular files are simply not making it out of the installer and into the sketchup file.

Seems to be the same problem I found that the German guy had last year. His solution was too technical for me to try.

Do you have a work around? (And have you seen this problem before with Macs?)
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

I sent you a note with some files and additional trouble shooting information. Please have a look and let me know how it goes.
steveoles

Space Navigator inoperative with SketchUp

Post by steveoles »

flomotan wrote:I sent you a note with some files and additional trouble shooting information. Please have a look and let me know how it goes.
flomotan,

I have the same problem as many previous posts; SN is inoperative with SketchUp Pro 7 (although it works with Google Earth.) I recently purchased SN for use specifically with SU7; if I (we) can't get it to work it's a piece of useless junk. 3D Connexion's rep is riding on this for me--this bug has gone on way too long.

I've tried the usual 'reinstall' and search instructions posted earlier to no avail.

Please send me the additional troubleshooting info mentioned above, or any other advice or work around on how to get this thing operable with SketchUp on a Mac.

My stats:
MacBook Pro4,1
OS X version 10.5.6
V 1.5.6 3Dconnexion driver

Thanks in advance.
Hybridizer
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

I need this info, too. I just installed Sketchup 8, and... my Space Navigator doesn't work with it.

I need to know what to do to make Google Sketchup 8 work with my Space Navigator. Can you help, please?

Thank you,

--moonie
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi moonie,

does this work for you?
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

Even better, I was able to use some of those steps to get it done more simply and quickly:
  1. Install Google Sketchup version 6. It is available at http://dl.google.com/sketchup/gsu6/PM101494ENA.dmg. No need to run it; just install.
  2. Open the System Preferences > 3DConnexion Configuration Panel. Click on Configure > Install Plug-ins. Follow the installation instructions using default values.
  3. Open a finder window. Browse to Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Google Sketchup 6 > Sketchup > plugins. There should be two files there named3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin and 3DxSketchUp.rb .... Select and copy these two files.
  4. Browse to Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Google Sketchup 8 > Sketchup > plugins. Paste the two files into this folder.
  5. Launch Sketchup 8. The spacenavigator should work, and the 3dxSketchUp should exist in the plugins menu for customization options along with those found in System Preferences.
Edit (moderator): corrected BBCode for numbered list
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

Darn, wanted to edit my post to fix the list. Should have been a numbered list.

I also wanted to add my thanks! Thanks very much for the solution.
mooncaine

Re: work around for Sketchup on case sensitive partition

Post by mooncaine »

I had the same problem (I think):

When I used Sketchup, with a scene that has almost a million faces, the SpaceNavigator seemed to only move the screen one little 'bump,' then nothing.

After trying different driver versions, Sketchup versions, lots of other stuff, I stumbled on a workaround: make sure the Model Info window is open and active. When it's open, and I've clicked on it, it's active and has 'focus'. That means the big Sketchup window is in the 'background' compared to this Model Info window. While the Model Info window has focus, the SpaceNav works great!

If I click the main Sketchup window, to make it active instead, the SpaceNav stops working properly (not always, but most of the time).

That works for me in Sketchup 8 (I'm using v8 for reasons unrelated to this SpaceNav bug). I don't have any reason to try it in a newer Sketchup version yet, but you might give this a try if your Sketchup is halting and refusing to respond to SpaceNav, or responding very slowly.
UtaSH

Re: work around for Sketchup on case sensitive partition

Post by UtaSH »

Which version of Sketchup do you have?