3ds Max 'center of rotation' with this new driver

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Solidmind

Post by Solidmind »

It´s been almost A MONTH since we heard anything from 3DConnexion!!! This is truly, so bloody sad...

Hey 3DConnexion, there are some people here that wants too improve your products and giving you free advice!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexion posted today Beta 1 for Release 3.12. It includes improvements to the navigation feature in the add-in solution for Autodesk 3ds Max:
  • New "Target Camera" navigation mode;
  • Auto rotation center algorithm take only the selected geometry in a first step, moving to all geometry if a good match is not found;
  • Fix: Auto rotation center algorithm would fail to detect some 3D geometry.
Beta software from 3Dconnexion is available from the 3DxLabs web page.
Dyrlund

Post by Dyrlund »

Its not only 3DsMax but also Solidworks 2010 64 bit that its horrible in. I have a big assembly but the rotation center is in the middle all the time so when working in one of the ends of assembly its impossible to control.

Does the new beta software work so it makes rotation center in the middle of the screen instead of the middle of the assembly?
wdc600

Post by wdc600 »

thx, i tried out beta 3.12

for target cam mode you need to flip all axes?
is it possible to insert the good old selection center mode?
this worked great even for large scenes like railway turnouts with very fine and long geometry.
i always need the middle mouse button for pan or switch between viewports but this is always deactivating the automatic mode!!!

i really try to become accustomed to it but i cant´t

your products are really cool! you have new ideas i like that but the old function should be still available :wink:
wdc600

Post by wdc600 »

some keys doesn´t work any more with 3.12 (esc, ctrl, alt, ...)
i have space pilot (not pro vers.) win7 x64 and max2011
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dyrlund wrote:Its not only 3DsMax but also Solidworks 2010 64 bit that its horrible in. I have a big assembly but the rotation center is in the middle all the time so when working in one of the ends of assembly its impossible to control.
You can easily reset your rotation center: simply press-and-hold the Ctrl and click the middle mouse pointer where you want the rotation center to stay, overriding the "auto" setting. Doing the same over empty space (no 3D geometry under the pointer), re-enables the "auto" calculation.

For more detailed information, please refer to this post.
Nuno Gomes
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi wdc600,
for target cam mode you need to flip all axes?
The user needs only to select "Target Camera Mode" from the pop-up menu.
is it possible to insert the good old selection center mode?
this worked great even for large scenes like railway turnouts with very fine and long geometry.
We added a modification to the "auto rotation center" algorithm that takes in consideration the selected set: a calculation first applies to the selected set only. If the output is invalid, then the "auto rotation center" is restored.
It seems that this isn't working for you. Can you tell us why? It would help us a great deal if we could understand what the feature is doing against your work flow.
i always need the middle mouse button for pan or switch between viewports but this is always deactivating the automatic mode!!!
How are you panning? Are you selecting something with middle mouse button (MMB)?

From your description, it appears that there are overlapping functions assigned to MMB click actions.
wdc600

Post by wdc600 »

hi,

thx for fast reaction. when switching to target cam mode all axes are working 180° different to object mode. this is consequentially correct i know -> but no one can work with flipped axes i think

simple examble: my space pilot is in target cam mode and auto rot center ->
reset max -> make a box (1x1x1) in persp. view -> put an editable poly modifier to it and select an upper vertex f.e. vertex 6 -> use your space ball -> in my case the selected vertex is not the center of rotation it is always somewhere else and view depentend and the algorithm needs permanent recalculation
-->
i have a lot of modelling to do in max so i always flip fast from view to view to make some selection (i have 4 views displayed on screen) -> go to front view and select some vertices of the box -> now i use the middle m. button to change to perspective view (with middle m. button you don´t lose your selection during switching!) and now the auto rot. mode is deactivated
so i use the middle mouse for doing especially no selection (the left mouse selects objects and the right is opening the quad menue)
sometimes i want to shift in the scene -> the middle mouse is faster than turning 3D on the space pilot off and on again

an other ex.: i have done a big scene with a railway track and an ICE3 is coming out a tunnel and a free camera is following. in auto key mode i can´t play the animation fluently! my framerate is good (40fps and 6Mio Polys in Viewport) it is definitely the calc. for the rot. center that stops playing all the time

my workstation is powerfull with 2 quad core xeons onboard (8x2,66Ghz)
my max is 2011 x64 english and the driver runs in german can´t be a prob i think

i would like to have the old function in it -> without recalculation of the center and i want that this stays enabled after clicking middle mouse button. some new features are really great (fixing horizon and so on) so keep on developing -> this is beta testing :wink:

thx!!
Solidmind

Post by Solidmind »

I have the spacepilot (not pro) which BETA should I go for?
Vanilla x64 or the Spacepilot PRO x64?

/M
Solidmind

Post by Solidmind »

Ok it seems like it´s doing what it´s supposed to now, have to give it a little more tests. Too bad it wiped out all my settings for every software that I use it for... *sigh* :?
mbronto

Relief

Post by mbronto »

Ahhhh....relief! Version 3.12 made the problems I was complaining about mostly go away. I am basically happy. The only new problem I see is that choosing the COR with the middle mouse button seems to be much harder to do now (or much less sensitive?). I have to press and hold the middle mouse all over the area I want it to place the blue cross on and I have to be quite persistent to get it to stick.
mbronto

Post by mbronto »

Oops - spoke too soon. Sorry, should have tested more before declaring a verdict. Nothing meaningful has changed for me. When I tilt above the horizon line, it still keeps changing the direction of roll on me. So unfortunately, I'm back to square one....
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

wdc600 wrote: in auto key mode i can´t play the animation fluently! my framerate is good (40fps and 6Mio Polys in Viewport) it is definitely the calc. for the rot. center that stops playing all the time
You can disable the "Auto" rotation center calculation by going to the pop-up menu, "Rotation Center" sub-menu and clearing the "Auto" option.
wdc600

Post by wdc600 »

hi ngomes,

have done some brainstorming:
thx, i knew that but this is no solution for me because doing a lot of clicking to achieve such a simple thing is stopping a fluent and fast working process.

fyi:
after starting my system all keys of the space pilot are working, after starting max some keys doesn´t work any more (ESC, STRG, ...)
(beta 3.12)

there was a beta driver for max2011 available that worked like the old one (for max2010) is it possible to download this version somewhere. i would need this version for my workstation to do some projects. for beta testing i will use an other PC.
(the driver for max2010 works also for 2011 if you manually install the plugin)
normally i don´t use a beta on a workstation but i tried the old beta before 3.11 and everything was great than the final release was available and i installed it and behold it was a completely different thing.

for my mobile workstation i bought the expensive space traveler ->
it is hard to see that there is no driver support for the future? but this is an other chapter
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

wdc600 wrote:there was a beta driver for max2011 available that worked like the old one (for max2010) is it possible to download this version somewhere. i would need this version for my workstation to do some projects. for beta testing i will use an other PC.
(the driver for max2010 works also for 2011 if you manually install the plugin)
Have you tried the 3.10.1 version on the driver page?

http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/drivers.html

** be sure to select the 'Also show archived software [x]' option.

When something works in 3.11.1 and then breaks in 3.11.3, it stinks that the only alternative is to roll way back to 3.10.1. It would be nice if they listed -all- of the previous versions for situations like this.