Spacenavigator & Blender 2.5

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

dvwood7

Spacenavigator & Blender 2.5

Post by dvwood7 »

Hello Dudes & Dudettes,

I have tried installing the drivers for the Spacenavigator to work with Blender 2.5, but without any luck.

Basically I downloaded the 3DxBlender2_47-MacOSX, and in the readme file it says that I have to copy/paste the 3DxNdofBlender.plug file into the plugin folder in Blender. The problem with this Spacenavigator driver is that there are 2 folders that are called i386 and ppc, that both have the 3DxNdofBlender.plug file. I have tried copying both folders in Blenders plugin folder and also copying them individually - and still nothing happens.

I am on a MAC 10.5.8 and trying to use Blender 2.5 Alpha.

Does anyone have any hints to what I can do in order to use my Spacenavigator??

I would really appreciate it!!
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

I think 2.5 does not work yet with 3dx devices. One must use 2.49 (Windows). Everybody with a 3dx device is waiting for the final 2.5 version.
dvwood7

Post by dvwood7 »

No waaaayyy.... this totally and utterly suxx... Any news on when this is coming??
cinmay

Post by cinmay »

A Google Summer of Code student named Mike Erwin is working on a new and better integration of exotic and fancy input devices in blender 2.5x.
He has menconed that he is working with a space navigator. Her is some progress updateds:
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/soc- ... 00065.html
till213

Post by till213 »

However I can confirm that the plugin provided by 3Dconnexion "MacWare 1.6.1" works with Blender 2.49 on Mac (10.6.4).
mooncaine

Space Navigator not working with blender 2.5 beta yet

Post by mooncaine »

Any news or hope that my Space Navigators will work with blender? The beta looks really good. I sure wish my Space Navs worked with it.
dickda1

Space navigator and 2.59 RC

Post by dickda1 »

Space Navigator now works with Blender 2.59 RC!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

-Dick
bernardo_86

Post by bernardo_86 »

I installed Blender 2.59 on my mac ( OS X 10.6.8 ) and installed -3DxWare 10 Beta 4-
My SpaceNavigator works almost fine in Blender (perfectly in Maya 2012), but the pan and up and down functions are not available. Is anyone else having the same problem? Could you help me?
Thanks!
jwick

Post by jwick »

If it is the same as the PC, the interface they designed does panning by holding down the keyboard's shift key. You can also do fly mode (shift+f). To change the center of rotation, right click on an object and press the 3Dx device fit button. The center of rotation will now be at the center of that object.
bernardo_86

Post by bernardo_86 »

Thanks! but.... you mean there's no option to do it like in the old versions? For example this guy here is moving around using only the 3-D mouse: http://youtu.be/z0F0ammzf34

It makes no sense to have to use the shift key on a spaceNavigator... p.s. I don't like the fly mode at all :P
jwick

Post by jwick »

The blender integration was done by the blender community. The developers are very responsive to user suggestions. I assume they will be enhancing the interface as users, like you, contribute your insights of its actual and desired usage.

I'm not an animator. I can't contribute much to the design process. But I think, at least an option to turn on/off the simultaneous panning would be a good suggestion.

Admittedly, you don't have to chase the rotation point around with this interface. It only moves when you want it to. I think there is something to be said for that.