Space Pilot Pro functionality on Mac

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

MadeehaMerchant

Space Pilot Pro functionality on Mac

Post by MadeehaMerchant »

Hi.

I am trying to chose between Space Explorer and Space Pilot Pro. The native machine is a Mac, however, I use Rhino and Max through BootCamp. What functionality of the Pro works on the Mac 3D softwares like Maya and Cinema 4D. What do you suggest. What better options, if any, does Space Explorer give for the Mac. How can I use it for the Adobe suite.

Thanks.
Bryan

MAC and the SpacePilot PRO

Post by Bryan »

Dear MadeehaMerchant,

The SpaceNavigator is the officially supported product on the Mac OS X platform.

The interface we provide will display a SpaceNavigator product. Only two buttons will be available for use and reprogrammability.

There are no drivers listed on our Driver Download Page for the SpacePilot nor for the SpacePilot PRO.

You will want to check under the Solutions Menu, for All Supported Applications and the MAC OS X Tab for a listing of the applications and versions that make use of those devices.

I do not believe the SpacePilot PRO works on the Mac Platform.

I would recommend the SpaceNavigator for working with programs on a MacIntosh.

viewtopic.php?t=335&highlight=mac+spaceexplorer

Sincerely,
Bryan G.
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
MadeehaMerchant

Space Navigator VS Space Explorer.

Thanks from the reply but I see from the website that Space Explorer is also supported on the Mac. I know, that the Pilot wouldn't work to it's full ability but would the 2 buttons and more specifically the 3D controller work in Mac. If not, does the explorer has it's 3D knob working on a Mac. If neither then is only Space Navigator that would work.

Thanks.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear MadeehaMerchant,

I do not believe you would have any more functionality than motion from the control knob and two buttons. The SpacePilot is not supported on the MAC and I don't believe the PRO will be recognized at all on the MAC.

Sincerely,
Bryan
MadeehaMerchant

Thanks Bryan...

Last question - Does the Pilot Pro work well Maya and RHino on Win XP.

Thanks.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear MadeehaMerchant,

The SpacePilot PRO should work well with release version 3.7.18 of our 3DxSoftware Suite on Microsoft's Windows XP, XP-64, Vista, Vista-64 for Robert McNeil & Associates' Rhinoceros 4.00 and for Autodesk's MAYA 6-2009.

Sincerely,
Bryan
MadeehaMerchant

Space Navigator VS Space Explorer.

Thanks from the reply but I see from the website that Space Explorer is also supported on the Mac. I know, that the Pilot wouldn't work to it's full ability but would the 2 buttons and more specifically the 3D controller work in Mac. If not, does the explorer has it's 3D knob working on a Mac. If neither then is only Space Navigator that would work.

Thanks.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The 3DController knob will work on the Explorer with the current driver.
I believe the programmers may have modified the current driver to allow all the buttons to function. I will have to ask one of the programmers to verify.

I just confirmed it the current driver has 15 button functionality.
minion

Post by minion »

Thanks for the response Fred - out of interest - does this mean the Space Explorer will have the same level of functionality?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear minion,

Yes, the SpaceExplorer will have the as high a level of functionality as the SpaceNavigator.

Sincerely,
Bryan
Defender666

Post by Defender666 »

Please support MAC with a fully functional driver. It can't be so diffucult to support at least the additional buttons and map a keyboard command to those.
You will definately sell more units if you provide a fully functional MAC Driver.
Evopro

Post by Evopro »

Defender666 wrote:Please support MAC with a fully functional driver. It can't be so diffucult to support at least the additional buttons and map a keyboard command to those.
You will definately sell more units if you provide a fully functional MAC Driver.
How amazing - the SpacePilot Pro is actually a Mac product by the look and feel of it - and then the company which produce it denies the Mac world a driver. It would take them maximum a week to arrange a mac driver for their flag product but I guess they have ties with Windows and Microsoft that forbids them to do so. What a shame.
stevo

VERY stange, and annoying!

Post by stevo »

I would like to add my voice to the chorus of discontent.

I very nearly ordered a SpacePilotPro but luckily spotted that it wasn't Mac compatible.

It is VERY strange that 3dConnexion chooses to exclude themselves from the sizable creative community of Mac users. Many 3d artists like myself are returning to the Mac to use apps like Maya on Mac. The driver issues must be minimal for a few extra buttons.

We'll have to assume that darker forces are at work, such as a pact with Microsoft. Perhaps this deserves further investigation?

Please, 3dConnexion, do the decent thing. Release a Mac driver and explain what has been going on. Yes we all know you have a monopoly in this market and so it is all the more important that there is a little transparency.
jjlee

Please respond

Post by jjlee »

Very curious as to why the most expensive product in your line has any kind of limitations?Why hasn't an OSX driver for the SpacePilot Pro been developed?

Please respond with an answer as I am very disappointed with the support for this product so far.

I hope that 3D Connexion doesn't start building a bad reputation as I feel like the hardware has so much potential.

I called tech support for an answer and all I got was:
"bring it up in the forums".
trilobyte

Post by trilobyte »

I know this might sound like crazy talk, but perhaps 3D Connexion should consider either hiring a Mac programmer, or possibly contracting with a Mac developer/programmer to create Mac drivers for its full range of products.

Not only would it be an amazing act of goodwill towards the Macintosh user community, but you could open the doors to significantly increased sales. Mac now represents 8.8-9.4% of US marketshare, but if you focus specifically on premium PC's (which is prosumers and enthusiasts/gamers), it's 9 out of 10 (according to NPD).