Bug ProE Wildfire3 ?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

raile111

Bug ProE Wildfire3 ?

Post by raile111 »

Hi,
we are testing the SpaceNavigator with ProE Wildfire3, latest driver, Windows XP SP2.
After some time of use (one or two weeks) ProE starts working strangely:
the highlighting doesn't work properly, you can't use the sketcher anymore... (see also thread in Window2000 beta section)
Anyone with the same problem?

raile111
agoenczi
User
User

Bug ProE Wildfire3 ?

Post by agoenczi »

Hi raile111

Please explain what do you mean with
Pro/e starts working strangely
?

Could you make some screen-shots which could illustrate the situation?
agoenczi
raile111

Post by raile111 »

Hi,
screenshots won't help, so have to explain
the highlighting doesn't work:
if you hover with the cursor over the elements of the model or sketch you normally get a highlighting of this element, so you can select an edge or a line.
If this doesn't work anymore it gets impossible to work with the system.
After uninstalling the 3Dconnexion driver ProE reacts normally again.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi raile111

Please try to use our new software release (3DxSoftware v3-1-8 downloadable from our driver download page), as some issues were fixed. See as well the following post.

Post your findings here in order to share your experience with other users.
agoenczi
raile111

Post by raile111 »

Hi agoenczi,
i downloaded und tested the new driver 3.1.8
the problem with the highlighting and the delay still exists.
Are there older driver i can use ?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi raile111,

Make sure the device isn't drifting (off center). When this is happening, unplug the device from the USB port. See if the condition in ProE changes. Then without touching the 3Dx sensor, replug the device back in.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
raile111

Post by raile111 »

Hi Jim,
thanks a lot for your advice. After unplugging and plugging in the device, it works just fine.

raile111
rEvolvingDesigns

Post by rEvolvingDesigns »

raile111 wrote:Hi Jim,
thanks a lot for your advice. After unplugging and plugging in the device, it works just fine.

raile111
Hi there raile. My company uses WF3.0 and was wondering what features you have seen so far with spacenavigator and ProE. Id love to get it in house for my engineers to take a look at. But on the specs page it only refers to Space Pilot

Any words of wisdom?
raile111

Post by raile111 »

Hi rEvolvingDesigns,
since the driver is the same for all devices it shouldn't be a problem to use the spacenavigator. After solving the first problems with the driver everything works fine. The handling of the spacenavigator is ok.
Why don't you buy just one and test it?

raile111
lexj

For me, not an unplugging issue.

Post by lexj »

I am noticing this issue also while trying Navigator in Wildfire 2.0. I have noticed that I have to physically remove my hand from the stick in order for the highlighting to work properly. It's almost as if the deadband used for view movement isn't being passed on in the same way, so ProE thinks you are spinning, even when you are not.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi lexj,

Normally the deadband built-in to the device and software is sufficient.

Try hitting the calibrate button in the GUI after the device has had a chance to settle down (been used for a while, no large temperature changes, hasn't just come out of someone's travel bag, etc.).

There is also a function you can assign to a device button (Rezero Device) that does the same thing.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
lexj

deadband

Post by lexj »

I've done that, and the deadband is fine for view control. It just seams that any small deflection affects how Wildfire does it's highlighting for component/feature selection.
jwick

Post by jwick »

If you wish to do a little extra work, you can adjust the threshold (deadband) used by the driver.

See this post:
viewtopic.php?p=2135#2135

Jim
3Dx Software Development
lexj

thanks

Post by lexj »

This fix affects deadband across the board, so I am giving up some responsiveness on view control, but I was able to find a value where I felt I wasn't giving up too much, but could at least still have my hand on the stick while selecting. I used 75. I would be interested to know where the default was.