SolidWorks Rotation Center

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi takedownca,
[...]Anything newer has the screwed up configuration menu that won't let you assign macros to SpacePilot buttons.
The SolidWorks add-in included in Release 3.8 has a fix for this issue. The only limitation is the need to restart the application to enumerate a newly created "used defined macro".
If you can, please check if the feature now works for you. If it continues to be an issue, we will look into it further.
Nuno Gomes
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

It looks like the 3Dx software now recognizes any macros for which a button was created. Good work. Next stop, functional rotational center!
pappy

Solidworks Rotation Center

Post by pappy »

When functional rotational center avaible ?
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

3Dx, any update on issue ID 4683?
jchorton4

Post by jchorton4 »

How has this issue not been addressed yet? I was thinking about buying a SpacePilot PRO but I thought it would be a good idea to check to see if this issue had been resolved. I thought that surely such an important problem with one of the most popular CAD programs would have been fixed within the last 8 MONTHS by any decent product support team...

I am truly baffled that the lack of a functional rotation center in Solidworks remains unaddressed. How does 3Dconnexion manage to make such an amazing piece of hardware only to render it useless by the lack of adequate software support? I just don't understand.
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

I was recently informed by another SW user of the existence of a beta version of the driver that is supposed to address this issue. I would love to be contacted regarding beta testing. Lately I've been working on many long tubular structures, and that is the exact type of usage that NEEDS some sort of automatic rotation center algorithm.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexion has posted today a new release for Windows.

Release 3.9 includes the implementation of enhancement 4683. The enhancement is related to the automation of the rotation centre in SolidWorks.

What's new for SolidWorks users?
  • New "Auto Rotation Center" algorithm
    The code for the automatic definition of the rotation centre is completely new. It will now set the rotation centre to model volume centre when the shaded geometry is in full view.

When zoomed in, the rotation centre will be set to a point on intersection of the shaded geometry and the view center.
  • Manual setting
    It is now possible (in SW2008 and newer) to change set the rotation centre by pressing-and-holding the Control key and clicking on the shaded geometry using the middle mouse button (what we refer to as a Ctrl+MMB action).

Doing a Ctrl+MMB action on empty space will reset the rotation centre to default (volume centre if "auto rotation center" is disabled).
  • Rotation Center visualisation
    The rotation centre is now represented with a small 16x16 icon. There are three options to visualise your rotation centre: Always, On Motion and Never. These are self-explanatory:
    • Always: the rotation centre icon is always visible;
    • On Motion: the rotation centre is only visible when the 3D mouse is actively changing the view (pan/zoom, rotate).
    • Never: as in pre-release 3.9 software. No icon is shown
The option "Auto Rotation Center" is enabled by default when you first install or upgrade to Release 3.9. This and other options can be changed on the "3Dcontrol Properties" dialogue panel: SolidWoks menu -> 3Dcontrol -> Properties.

Release 3.9 is available for your SpaceNavigator (all editions), SpaceExplorer USB, SpacePilot and SpacePilot PRO hardware from the web site download page.

We would like to thank all of you who have provided very valued feedback and suggestion on how to improve our software. What improvement will come next will -- now as before -- depend very much how what our customers have to say about the software.
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

This rocks! It's exactly how I would have implemented it. Even the options for showing the little blue center of rotation bubble are great. Thanks.
mariaboe

release center chosen using ctrl+mmb

Post by mariaboe »

this works great. i've missed the auto rotation center since i switched from NX to solidworks 4 years ago.

but: how do i release the rotation center i set using ctrl and middle button click?
ngomes

Re: release center chosen using ctrl+mmb

Post by ngomes »

Hi mariaboe,
how do i release the rotation center i set using ctrl and middle button click?
Two options: you either do a Ctrl+MMB click on empty space or you depress the "Sets Center Point" button on the "3Dcontrol" toolbar.
dbelflower

Post by dbelflower »

Is this update not available for the Space Traveler?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sorry, the Traveler, Spaceball 5000 Spacemouse Plus USB are a End of Life or Legacy products. The Driver no longer gets updated.
jchorton4

Post by jchorton4 »

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It works great. Finally, I can use my SpacePilot with SolidWorks and actually improve my productivity.
vasilg

Post by vasilg »

Congratulations on the great job!
It works good!
Is it coz of me using sldw07 or something else, that the blue ball sticks to invisible geometry when section view is enabled?
:) Sorry for the critique, but I hope it will be constructive.
And now you do what they told ya
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi vasilg,
Is it coz of me using sldw07 or something else, that the blue ball sticks to invisible geometry when section view is enabled?[/size]
:) Sorry for the critique, but I hope it will be constructive.
This issue is not specific to SW2007. The rotation center calculation uses all available geometry including that hidden by a section view.

Note that, in an assembly, hidden components are not used in the rotation center calculation.

Thanks for taking some of your time to report this to us.