Space Pilot Death

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Dee Stringer

Space Pilot Death

Post by Dee Stringer »

Today when I started my computer I noticed that my Space Pilot wasn't lighting up. The SP. wasn't being recognized by any USB port on my comp. The drivers would not start either.

I hadn't installed the latest drivers because until today I hadn't had any issues with the software that I have been using. ie. Autocad 2010, 3dsMax 2010 and Photoshop CS2 just as an fyi.

After installing the latest drivers the SP. is still not working. USB ports all reports an unrecognized device. I have 6 usb ports and all state the same message. I tried the No. 1 port first as I seem to remember from posts in the past it has to be in that port but made no difference in my situation.

Comp. specs:

Vista Business x64 Service pack 2
@xi Xeon X5472 @ 3.0 GHz processors (2)
8.0 GB ram
Nvidia Quatro FX 5600
Intel 631xESB/6321ESB/3100 Chipset USB Universal Host Controller (4)
Intel 631xESB/6321ESB/3100 Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (2)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Unplug Device.
Hold 1,2 button down
While holding down the buttons
Plug the usb back in
Wait 15 seconds
release the buttons
Now try to open the 3dcontrol panel.

Another thing to check is if you recently installed Antivirus or Spyware removal software check and see if it is scanning the USB ports if so this may be blocking the device from being detected try temporarily disabling and see if the device gets recognized by Windows.
Dee Stringer

Post by Dee Stringer »

Fred,

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried your suggestions but the SP. was still failing to be recognized. One note is that 2 days ago MS sent out malware and other updates which I downloaded and installed but I have had my computer running for at least 24 hrs. since then and actually the SP. worked after the MS updates.

That's the bad news.
The good news is I solved the problem whatever it was and I have no idea what was causing this issue.

For a new Space Pilot Pro I'll pass along the fix if you like.
Ha Ha just kidding, kinda.

I have a space navigator for my notebook so I thought I'd see if it was a Software, USB, or Hardware issue by plugging it in and seeing what happened. Well, it fired up right off the bat with no problem at all. So I thought maybe I can fool this stupid USB and pull a switch-a-roo so I unplugged the Space Navigator and quickly plugged in the Space Pilot and it lit up like nothing was ever wrong. Checked it out in 3dsmax and all is working just fine. Performed a reboot and the Space Pilot came up with no problems at all. I can't say what the problem was or why it was fixed but so far, fingers crossed, it is.

Sorry for the long winded response but I thought other might like to know.

Thanks again for you quick response.

So long, until the next issue.

Dee