can't update SpaceNavigator software

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jimRedfield

can't update SpaceNavigator software

Post by jimRedfield »

Getting error 1317 when I try to update software for Space Navigator on XP o/s. Tried all of the uninstall remedies I could find on your site. Never was able to remove the driver via Add & Remove Programs ('Remove' always tried to update the driver - unsuccessfully); stopped my firewalll and anti-virus; rebooted; killed the registry entries per instructions; deleted the program folder; deleted the Docs & Settings folders - nothing worked. Help appreciated (thanks). Now I have NO 3D mouse at all.
UtaSH

Re: can't update SpaceNavigator software

Post by UtaSH »

Hi jimRedfield,

it seems that there is a permission problem. The error number indicates that the installation routine can not create a directory. Please check the permissions of involved directories, i.e. C:\Program Files .

In case you still have problems please create a log file. That may help us to see more details. Please see here how to do this.

I will send you a PM with an email address where you can send the log file to.
jimRedfield

Post by jimRedfield »

Uta - Tnx for the prompt reply - I appreciate it. I looked at the permissions for C:\Programs and found my own name with full permissions, but no one else listed. Digging deeper in the dialog I found a second entry called "Administrators" but it had no permissions asociated with it (unchecked boxes) so I changed the ownership of Programs to Adminstrators, then set full permissions for Adminstrators and tried to close out the window. The window hung however - I couldn't get it to close (endless hourglass).

If it's any help, my attempts to uninstall the earlier PE software using Remove (or Change) in Add/Remove Software always triggered an attempt to upgrade the current installation which then faliled when it couldn't find "C:\DOCUME~1\JIMRED~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\pftB9B.tmp." I checked the Temp directory manually myself and, indeed, pftB9B.tmp isn't there.

...now I'll get you a log file - I assume I should follow the instructions at "In order to generate log files when changing (repairing/removing/updating) a current installation, the below procedure can be followed: "
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

I would recommend to uninstall every 3Dconnexion drivers and plugins and remove everything related to it. You find information how to do that here. Just follow step 2 - 7. For the installation please do as described in this article at the beginning ("3DxSoftware v. 3.1 and later").

To be honest I have the impression that something is wrong with your Windows installation. :shock:
jimRedfield

Post by jimRedfield »

Uta -

Log file instructions apparently did nothing.

First, the reg key I found is not "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mi..." but rather "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" so that's where I dug in.

Starting from there I drilled down per instructions and eventually entered "RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\09\01\Intel32\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{BAFCA6AC-8B37-405B-B57E-C1D45DE70ACC}\setup.exe" -l0x9 -z"/logpath=c:\temp"

When I hit Enter the screen closed, but the installer didn't start and no new file appeared in C:\temp.

Again, thanks for this help.

Jim
jimRedfield

Post by jimRedfield »

Just saw your latest reply (re purge drivers, etc.) Already did that a while ago - only thing I haven't been able to remove is the entry in the Add/Remove Programs control panel itself.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Why don't you just enter on a command prompt from the location where the 3DxSoftware package is located the corresponding command:
  • 3DxSoftware_v3-7-18 /c:"3DxSoftware /a /z'/logpath=c:\temp'"
Please do not launch the installation from any temporary files, but use the full package.

Please let me know if you get a different result.
jimRedfield

Post by jimRedfield »

Uta -

I don't know how to " just enter on a command prompt from the location where the 3DxSoftware package is located the corresponding command "

I created a new folder on my desktop, called it "temp", then downloaded and dragged "3DxSoftware_v3-7-18.exe " into it, then went to START/Run, entered your " 3DxSoftware_v3-7-18 /c:"3DxSoftware /a /z'/logpath=c:\temp'" " string and hit enter. Didn't work. Also tried running the .exe from the folder but the .mis file the installer wanted wasn't found.

Jim
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Jim,

you get the command prompt when you do
  • START/Run
and there enter
  • cmd
This opens a window with a command line. There please enter the driver letter where you saved the 3DxSoftware package. For example
  • C:
Then go to the directory with the package. For example
  • cd Documents and Settings\<your_user_name>\Desktop\temp
Here you can enter the command as described.

Please make sure you removed all hints to a previous attempt to install.
jimRedfield

myon-going attempt to fix my mouse installation

Post by jimRedfield »

Uta -

(...just getting back to my attempt to get my mouse working again)

Your first instruction for me is to remove all evidence of the current installation (before tryng a fresh installation from scratch). The first step is to use Add/Remove Programs to delete the mouse driver, but when I try, regardless of whether I select Change or Remove, your wizard tries to ugrade my installation (which then fails). No normal way to remove the driver. So, how do I get that right so I can follow your next instructions?

Jim
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Jim,

please use the WindowsCleanupUtility to remove any existing installation.